Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truextent Dias

Truextent Dias

Hi All, I notice they've replaced the Be4008/4016 with BeX 4008/4016. Can anyone shed any light on the difference/
    Thanks

Is Gudio Behringer still active here? If so then he should know what the differences are!

Quote Originally Posted by cooky1257 View Post
    Hi All, I notice they've replaced the Be4008/4016 with BeX 4008/4016. Can anyone shed any light on the difference/
    Thanks
    I have no idea, but I have a contact there. I'll ask on Monday.

Widget

Some information here:

http://www.speakerrepair.com/page/product/BeX4016.html

Sounds like they went to a polymer surround.

Francis
    Oppo BDP-95 DCX-2496 RMX-850 Parasound A21 First Watt J2 Dayton RSS390HF-4 MTM Quads of SEAS W18E001 511Bs TAD TD-2002

They already had a plastic surround, I think that ad copy is the same as for the previous Be phragms.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    They already had a plastic surround, I think that ad copy is the same as for the previous Be phragms.
    Well, we'll see what Widget finds out then.
    Oppo BDP-95 DCX-2496 RMX-850 Parasound A21 First Watt J2 Dayton RSS390HF-4 MTM Quads of SEAS W18E001 511Bs TAD TD-2002

The main change was the fixation of the vc leads and some corrections to the attachement of the diaphragm to the vc.
    Older diaphragms could have issues with rub/centering.
    The surround is not changed afaik.

The new dias are sold a long time now. The "X-change" was long ago.

Hi Guido

Is this an improvement over the older ones when centering is OK? (reliability, excursion capability, etc.)

Any news about the long awaited 1.75" replacement diaphragms for JBL 1" drivers?
    Is this ever going to happen now that they have this contract with Radian?...

I found this preliminary document about BeX40T08/16 4" diaphragm for TAD compression drivers:
    Lrg_Replacement_Diaphragms_BeX40T08_16_Prelim.pdf

This is the only document I found that talk about them.
    Legit or not?

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Is this an improvement over the older ones when centering is OK? (reliability, excursion capability, etc.)
    Yes, of course!

Any news about the long awaited 1.75" replacement diaphragms for JBL 1" drivers?
    Is this ever going to happen now that they have this contract with Radian?...
    I don't think these will ever come. Use an Radian 475PB-Be (with 1,75" Beryllium diaphragm). VERY good and not expensive.

I found this preliminary document about BeX40T08/16 4" diaphragm for TAD compression drivers:
    This is the only document I found that talk about them.
    Legit or not?
    Radian sells a (Truextent) Beryllium replacement diaphragm for TAD drivers

So everything is "there"

So, the really early Truextents had some issues-I recall a German review that threw up some distortion issues, these were put right in subsequent runs
    and given the X name change? Mine have no rubbing/centring issues as far as I'm aware, still not clear tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Yes, of course!
    What kind of improvement?
    My Truextent sound and measure fine...

I don't think these will ever come. Use an Radian 475PB-Be (with 1,75" Beryllium diaphragm). VERY good and not expensive.
    I'd like to use 2344 horns and it looks like they are (empirically) optimized for the 242x throat geometry....

Radian sells a (Truextent) Beryllium replacement diaphragm for TAD drivers

So everything is "there"
    What is the pricing on those? I can't find it on the Radian website (like everything else that is Be-related).
    It looks like it is meant to fit in 4001/4002 as well as 4003 drivers, which is strange as I was under the impression that one had a different diaphragm...

Quote Originally Posted by cooky1257 View Post
    So, the really early Truextents had some issues-I recall a German review that threw up some distortion issues, these were put right in subsequent runs
    and given the X name change? Mine have no rubbing/centring issues as far as I'm aware, still not clear tbh.
    I think Guido was involved in these tests, and reported the problem to Brush Wellman. It was related to the VC leads that were touching the gap in some cores (including the Raidan ones).
    I looks like the problem was quickly solved, even before the X diaphragms arrival.
    For one thing when I asked Guido he told me that looking at the serial number my diaphragms should not have this problem...

The only difference I can see is the suspension change from 'proprietary polymer' to PEEK.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    The main change was the fixation of the vc leads and some corrections to the attachement of the diaphragm to the vc.
    Older diaphragms could have issues with rub/centering.
    The surround is not changed afaik.

The new dias are sold a long time now. The "X-change" was long ago.
    I admit I wasn't paying much attention to the model name designation. Yes, the change in method of attaching the leads to the VC was made during the first year of production or just after. The early versions are sonically identical to the current one but may rub in some drivers.

Widget

Yesterday I sent a note to TruExtent asking about the new model numbers... this afternoon I received a more detailed answer than I expected:

"The previous Truextent "SSX" design (Be4008 and Be4016) certainly sounded great, but had some variability and reliability issues in production. The "BeX" (BeX4008 and BeX4016) design goals were to improve power handling and manufacturing consistency while maintaining or improving overall sound quality. Without delving into details, we met those goals by changing several parts, processes, adhesives, and tools ultimately making a diaphragm assembly fit for professional and OEM customers (100W AES power handling, lower distortion, similar frequency response, tighter QC acceptance windows)."

I hope this is helpful.

Widget
    Last edited by Mr. Widget; 11-05-2014 at 08:55 AM.

Thread Information