Thread: L 101 bi amplified

L 101 bi amplified

Hi,
    I was wondering if I could bi amplify my L 101 just like the 4430 with an active crossover ? Can the original LX10 be by passed so I could use the HF and LF terminals directly ?
    If yes : what amp for the LE14A would you advise me ? (by the way I cannot find the response curve for it).... what crossover ? dBX? behringer ? JBL ? and what slop ?

Thanks for your help
    David

Ok since no one bother to answer me I will: I do not care anymore cause I bought 4430, and bi amp of these babies are well documented her so I won 't bother anyone with questions on that matter...
    Thanks for ignoring this thread

Quote Originally Posted by davidpou View Post
    Might not be many who are familiar with the L101 or that it uses the S1 load. You could certainly by-pass the LX10 or use it passively on just the LE175 and run the LF direct bi-amped through an active crossover. It wouldn't take much power but then use what you have or all the power you've got. The LX10 crosses at 1500Hz so that's as good a place to start as any with an active crossover. I'm using the Ashly XR1001 with my 4345s. If I was trying it I'd probably figure a Crown D45 or D75A on top and at least a D150A-II on the bottom would work fine.

I'm not sure about your question on the HF and LF terminals but unless you gut the entire LX10 and just use the terminals, you'd be running both amps into each other's output which will obviously create an issue . . . and maybe some smoke. If you're going to try this, just get an input cup with two-pair of inputs and fill the hole left by the LX10 using a blank piece of particle board mounting the new input cup on the blank. That's keeps your LX10 intact for future use. I use this one on my 4345s:
    Name:  260-304_HR_0.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  3.1 KB

If you check out the LX10 schematic here you'll see the LE14A is running direct anyway, like a big L100, so hookup as bi-amp should be quite simple.

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by davidpou View Post
    Ok since no one bother to answer me I will: I do not care anymore cause I bought 4430, and bi amp of these babies are well documented her so I won 't bother anyone with questions on that matter...
    If what you were looking for was best improvement in sound for cost of money and effort you have absolutely done the right thing.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Thread Information