Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JBL Century Gold pricing

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    Many people think that Century Golds are JBL failure products
    Why do many people thing such a thing? -
    please explain with some detail.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    We don't care about that jerk. We forgot about him a long time ago. Why are you more influenced by one wacko than all the other user/hearers of a speaker?
    Woa! Slow down there bud!
    I believe I referred to him as a troll and qualified my remarks as being towards the current trends in replacement parts costs IN GENERAL as juxtaposed with his whining back in 2008. The "wacko" had it easy, kind of idiot who would bitch if they hung him with a new rope.

Nothing to do with the LSR32s. Nothing.

Don't know where or how you drew the conclusion that the "wacko" had any influence on me.

Try actually reading my post.

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    The ideal of perpetual open stock on replacement parts for a speaker system comes from the designer/ engineering side of the business, I believe, as articulated by Henry Kloss long ago. Sadly, by the end of the sixties, two of the labels he had been associated with (Acoustic Reaearch and KLH) had been conglomeratized, after which the ethic changed to marketing, model ramification (with frufru) and discounting to death, and by the end of the seventies, the third, Advent (this is all unaided memory). Open stock on replacement parts got lost real early in this evolution (?). This is far from atypical. Looked at from this perspective, JBL has an absolute sterling record on that ideal. That doesn't mean 100%. It means a remarkable record of supporting successful designs.
    All true, and equally, obvious.
    The point being?

As a matter of fact, I don't think anyone in the Western World with their wits about them believes or thinks that service parts for ANYTHING mechanical will be available in perpetuity, regardless of initial costs.

Ever!

Not so much since the Model T Ford anyway.

There are, and have been, a rare few exceptions, JBL being one thankfully. We've benefited for a very long time thanks in large part to the durability of so many of their classic transducer designs, many being carried forward for decades, and in numbers great enough to make it possible. Impeccable corporate ethics didn't hurt either. (now who's talking about the obvious now )

Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post

As a matter of fact, I don't think anyone in the Western World with their wits about them believes or thinks that service parts for ANYTHING mechanical will be available in perpetuity, regardless of initial costs.

Ever!
    I used to deal with NEC on a weekly basis. Remember the inventory manager telling me that according to some reg,
    replacement parts must be available for 7 years after the end of life for gear sold in the USA.

We ended up selling old obsolete laptops back to them to use for parts.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I used to deal with NEC on a weekly basis. Remember the inventory manager telling me that according to some reg,
    replacement parts must be available for 7 years after the end of life for gear sold in the USA.

We ended up selling old obsolete laptops back to them to use for parts.
    Excellent example

Another: it has gotten so today it is often difficult, if not impossible (through traditional channels) to obtain certain categories of repair parts for some automobiles after as little as 10 model years. And even if and when you can, you pay and pay well for that inventory shelf space.

There are some rules and regs in place regarding safety and emission related bits and pieces, but for soft trim type stuff as one example, forget it.

Pre-Jane JBL was a wonderful and rare bird. Wonderful that the tradition lasted as long as it did.

Pacific Northwest, but North-er and West-er
    I'm having pretty good luck with a vintage Mercedes diesel.
    I control the treble.
    I control the bass.

Quote Originally Posted by honkytonkwillie View Post
    I'm having pretty good luck with a vintage Mercedes diesel.

They are pretty good about things aren't they? One of those few!

There are, and have been, a rare few exceptions, JBL being one thankfully.

Does anybody know how many CG's were produced?
    I mean, they are advertised as "limited edition" but even in the Netherlands there is always a pair or two for sale.

For example the old L100 Century is much more rare, you see them roughly 1-2 times @ year.

Quote Originally Posted by martin2395 View Post
    I mean, they are advertised as "limited edition" but even in the Netherlands there is always a pair or two for sale.

For example the old L100 Century is much more rare, you see them roughly 1-2 times @ year.

MAYBE they're the same pair (or two)?

No, not the same pair - different condition and JBL users are like one big family, we keep in contact

Quote Originally Posted by martin2395 View Post

I'd wager that the Century Golds, like many other later JBL series, were marketed for and sold in more countries outside the USA than inside.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I'd wager that the Century Golds, like many other later JBL series, were marketed for and sold in more countries outside the USA than inside.

Yep, you may be on to something there.

You ever get a strange sensation sometimes, a funny feeling, just a momentary vibe, as if lately someone or something is trying to herd you up the loading ramp and into the squeeze chute of choices?

I do and it's coming more and more often over the past 10 or 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post

Isn't that what happened with the final version of the 250Ti s ?

I've seen more ads for 250TiBBQ's from Germany & Sweden than USA
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Why do many people thing such a thing? -
    please explain with some detail.
    It just painted in gold,not a gold one.i personally think it is not so bad,but it is just a JBL ordinary product,not lik other JBL limited edtion product such as DD55000,S9500 etc.that say, it is not match its 50th anniversary title,we may expect it too much
    46 lover

Thread Information