Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: The purpose of JBL E145

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Without commenting on the drivers themselves, here's a little piece (two, actually) on the magnets

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...Ferrite-Debate

The Great Plains piece is copied from the second one, written by Greg Timbers. Not sure if Great Plains gave attribution.
    Thanks Jeff. Very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Without commenting on the drivers themselves, here's a little piece (two, actually) on the magnets

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...Ferrite-Debate

The Great Plains piece is copied from the second one, written by Greg Timbers. Not sure if Great Plains gave attribution.
    Does anyone have any info on reconing from a 2225H to 2235H?

Quote Originally Posted by rwwear View Post
    Does anyone have any info on reconing from a 2225H to 2235H?
    You need to find an authorized JBL reconer who has access to JBL C8R2235 recone kits. The 2225H basket is identical to the 2235H basket.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    You need to find an authorized JBL reconer who has access to JBL C8R2235 recone kits. The 2225H basket is identical to the 2235H basket.

Widget
    I saw a 2225H for sale that has been converted to a 2235H and wondered if it is kosher.

I saw a 2225H for sale that has been converted to a 2235H and wondered if it is kosher.
    Could be perfect, but there are so many ways that it could be a pile of junk.

You'll need more info.

Widget

I've got a pair of 2225H's reconed to 2235H's last year by a professional. Due to the stickers at the cones' back he used genuine C8R2235 kits. But even he obviously did a mistake, as the VC of one driver rubbed and scratched in the gap when it arrived to me. I've sent the unit back for repair, which he did, and after a week or so I got it back, then flawless.

What I what to say is that reconing appears to be a rather delicate and tedious job.

Best regards!

Could be perfect, but there are so many ways that it could be a pile of junk.

You'll need more info.

Widget
    What makes the recone to 2235 different from the 2225? Is it the voice coil?

What makes the recone to 2235 different from the 2225? Is it the voice coil?
    The cone, the surround, the spider, and the fact that the 2235H has an added mass ring. I am not sure about the actual voice coil, they may be the same but are likely different as well. The only thing they share is the basket (made up of several parts... magnet, top plate, voice coil gap, blah blah) and the dust cap.

If you are not careful you will buy a non JBL cone kit installed in a JBL basket, or possibly an improperly installed JBL C8R2235 kit in the basket. You will need to work with an expert who you can trust.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
    I've got a pair of 2225H's reconed to 2235H's last year by a professional. Due to the stickers at the cones' back he used genuine C8R2235 kits. But even he obviously did a mistake, as the VC of one driver rubbed and scratched in the gap when it arrived to me. I've sent the unit back for repair, which he did, and after a week or so I got it back, then flawless.

What I what to say is that reconing appears to be a rather delicate and tedious job.

Best regards!
    The worst of it is removing the old gooey foam.

The cone, the surround, the spider, and the fact that the 2235H has an added mass ring. I am not sure about the actual voice coil, they may be the same but are likely different as well. The only thing they share is the basket (made up of several parts... magnet, top plate, voice coil gap, blah blah) and the dust cap.

If you are not careful you will buy a non JBL cone kit installed in a JBL basket, or possibly an improperly installed JBL CR2235 kit in the basket. You will need to work with an expert who you can trust.

Widget
    What do you think these guys? https://reconingspeakers.com/product...35-recone-kit/

I have no experience with the company, but many on this forum have had good experiences with this company. I would trust them when they say they are selling you a genuine JBL product.

That said, technically they are not supposed to sell a recone kit directly to the public. I am not sure how they get around that. For years, JBL insisted that only factory trained technicians were allowed to buy and install JBL kits. JBL had this requirement to make sure their high quality drivers maintained their quality. These days, who knows.

Widget

I have no experience with the company, but many on this forum have had good experiences with this company. I would trust them when they say they are selling you a genuine JBL product.

That said, technically they are not supposed to sell a recone kit directly to the public. I am not sure how they get around that. For years, JBL insisted that only factory trained technicians were allowed to buy and install JBL kits. JBL had this requirement to make sure their high quality drivers maintained their quality. These days, who knows.

Widget
    I had to email them for a price.

The original JBL C8R2235 recone kit is $219.00 each plus shipping and we have them in stock.

To you and anyone interested in 2235H drivers, I would jump on this as JBL has been making virtually all of their recone kits NLA at an alarming rate. It would surprise me if these are still available in a year or two... or tomorrow.

Widget

Also from the same site:

— We are an authorized JBL service center. We repair with JBL parts when available. JBL does not allow direct sales of recone kits. These kits are available for repair.

I -interpret- this to mean the quote was the price for a kit, you would then have to ship them your frame and have them install it for an additional fee.

I've been wrong before

Good time to get a recone done, regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Also from the same site:

I -interpret- this to mean the quote was the price for a kit, you would then have to ship them your frame and have them install it for an additional fee.

I've been wrong before

Good time to get a recone done, regardless.
    The original JBL C8R2235 recone kit is $219.00 each plus shipping and we have them in stock.

If you would like to place an order please let me know the quantity and your location for shipping. I will send you a PayPal invoice to complete the purchase.

Kind Regards,
    Melissa

Thread Information