Thread: JBL 4315 vs L300

JBL 4315 vs L300

Hi folks, a friend offered me a mint 4315 and a Pioneer HPM150 for sale and I would like to hear opinions about these speakers, I already have a Jubal and a L300, what are the main differences? Of course the bast is to go to his house and hearing them, but with this epidemic I am avoiding specially as he was tested positive.
    God bless all you and hope we send this virus to hell soon.
    BACH, BARNEY KESSEL, BEE GEES > B&W 801 MATRIX
    BLACK SABBATH > JBL L300

HPM 150's look like L166 Horizon clones, which is pretty much my impression of anything Pioneer at the time; that they were trying to clone JBL's. There's a reason for that of course.. I've never had the opportunity to listen to HPM100's or 150's but from what I've read about 100's, you're better of going for the L100A or 4311 if given the choice.

You should definitely give the 4315's an audition. Wait a month unless he is desperate. I wouldn't go anywhere near a positive person.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    HPM 150's look like L166 Horizon clones, which is pretty much my impression of anything Pioneer at the time; that they were trying to clone JBL's. There's a reason for that of course.. I've never had the opportunity to listen to HPM100's or 150's but from what I've read about 100's, you're better of going for the L100A or 4311 if given the choice.
    I believe you are thinking about the HPM 100. The HPM 150 has a 15” woofer and a unique 360 degree super tweeter on top of the cabinet.

Widget

It's been a long time since I've heard the 4315's but since then I've always wanted them. The 4315"s are museum pieces and will only gain in value. I'd go for them after a careful and complete examination, as the parts are very rare.

Look at the data sheet in the library here.
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Hello Murillo,

Please stay safe in Brazil, as you know it has been very bad there with case and death rising exponentially, in the last 60 days, cases had risen from 4256 to now well over 438,000, over 103x, and deaths from just 136 to now 26,750, almost 197x. The doubling period has been about 12 days for cases.

To your question, the 4315 is quite rare although it seems they are surfacing a lot in the US and now in countries like your own and a few in Europe. The 4315's use all direct cone radiators and has the strongest 12" driver that JBL had made in that era. They don't reach quite as low as the L300's but are very articulate and detailed for their size. They have continued to appreciate in people's minds and prices. If they are in good to very good condition, well worth your investment if not way overpriced and assuming all drivers and cabinet in good working condition. If the drivers need work like refoaming, or any damaged areas, then the price should be adjusted downward to reflect the work and expense you'll need to invest in.

Since your friend has already tested Covid positive, I would not recommend going to see him for at least 30 days, especially if he or his family have been symptomatic in the presence of the speakers. We do not know just how long people can be or remain contagious or shedding virus after they have been diagnosed, have been asymptomatic or became ill. We certainly wouldn't want him to get sick, nor any of his family or friends like you. I hope he would later test negative for Covid, and if available, should have an antibody test to see if he developed protective antibodies.

I would suggest if you are interested in the speakers to tell him you'd like to "reserve" them at some minimum agreed upon price and make sure he puts that in writing for you and tells his family. Again, just in case something happens to him - I know its not something one wants to think about but hopefully will never be needed other than to let his family know what he meant to do with the speakers for you.

At some point, I do hope you get a chance to visit him when it is completely safe to do so. As a precaution, make sure the house if aired out as much as possible, no one is symptomatic or has now tested negative, and the home has been cleaned and disinfected. if you do acquire the speakers, it would be wise to secure non-alcohol, non-bleach disinfecting wipes (like Lysol or Chlorox brands here in the US) and wipe the cabinets, drivers (plus cones and frames) and grilles down completely, and spray the grilles with disinfectant spray and let dry in a warm place outside. Otherwise, you could leave them in your garage or non-home area for 4-7 days and that should render them virus free, although I personally would also loosen the woofer clamps a little to break the seal, then vacuum through the first 1" of the vent and suction out the air in the cabinet, replacing it with air sucked in through the woofer hole.

Call me paranoid but I would want any remnants of a Covid household exposure out of the speakers before they would enter my home.

Hope you and your friend could provide some detailed pictures of the 4315's in question showing the foilcal labels, the woofer, all important mid-woofer, midrange and slot tweeter plus the grilles and cabinet condition. We can then help ID them and let you know if there are any concerns. Also some history on them as to how long your friend has owned them, where they may have been prior to his owning them.

Good luck!
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I believe you are thinking about the HPM 100. The HPM 150 has a 15” woofer and a unique 360 degree super tweeter on top of the cabinet.

Widget
    Those look closer to L100's than an HPM 150 does an L166. But, if you use your imagination, tilt a 150 on it's side like a L166 you can see similarities in appearance.

I have had both. The 4315 was never in the category of the L300. It just does not have the impact and big sound. If you like the big JBL sound as in the 4343 or 4333 or L300, the 4315 just doesn't cut it. They look cool and all that but you need a 15" woofer and a horn driver in my opinion.

I really liked the 4315's for their size and some of its sound qualities. Its only problem I thought was the LE5 mid. To bad they did not use a 2410 for the mids for a baby 4343. Also thought the HPM 200's sounded better than the other HPM's. Just my ears back then

Thread Information