Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: JBL 4343's used in Discos in the 70's?

Quote Originally Posted by Goldjazz View Post
    Yeah so this was my second listening session and i actually was listening to Tangerine dream as my friend came by who's a big fan. Stevie wonder superstition was great as was boogie wonderland (earth wind) and Can you get to that (funkadelic). Then I was just jumping all over the place I switched to some classical (yo-yo ma, ennio morricone and mahler), shine on you crazy diamond, and comfortably numb, then flamenco sketches. all that stuff sounded pretty cool. It's funny how some tracks just really "work" and other are just so so. I haven't yet worked out if the so so ones are just poorly recorded and/or produced or that they're not suited to these punchy big speakers. But for the tracks that really work on these things it's like discovering the song all over again, it's kind of a different experience and makes you think that this was the experience that was intended by the artist if you know what I mean.
    Yep - know exactly what you mean.
    Makes you wonder if the 4343 (or a close cousin) were the speakers
    used in the recording studio when those tracks were first mastered!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Yep - know exactly what you mean.
    Makes you wonder if the 4343 (or a close cousin) were the speakers
    used in the recording studio when those tracks were first mastered!
    Yep exactly

Has anybody ever seen a 4343 in a recording studio? I saw 431x, 432x and 4350's but never the 4343. The 4344 and latter were never used in studio's I think.

Quote Originally Posted by martin2395 View Post
    Has anybody ever seen a 4343 in a recording studio? I saw 431x, 432x and 4350's but never the 4343. The 4344 and latter were never used in studio's I think.
    I bought my 4341s from a recording studio in York PA ...

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I bought my 4341s from a recording studio in York PA ...

Cool. I have seen pics of 4350s (i think) at AIR studios (ie George Martins studio in 70s). And theres a pic of alan parsons with 4333s I think in his studio. Ive yet to find any info of 4343s used in the studios.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    so a bunch of posts about how wonderful the 4343's are ....but it's pretty well accepted that the 4345 is better ?

any argument yet ?

so now then compare the 4345 with the 250Ti , as the designer of both has.
    I, too, was intrigued by Greg's analysis. I have my 4345s with cc crossovers, bi-amped and now I have an original-in-box pair of 250Tis to try, too. Haven't done it yet simply out of lack of space to do the 250s justice but my take from fooling with them at one of our East Coast Lansing Heritage meets is that they'll require lots more power to do what the 4345s do with just two small Crown PS400 and PS200 amps. So I have a Crown Studio Reference-II that should let them sing. I'm looking forward to the opportunity, but then I'm looking forward to having spare time, a larger house, and quitting my job, too, none of which is likely to happen anytime real soon!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

you had me at "original in box 250Ti"....do telll !

:-)

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    you had me at "original in box 250Ti"....do telll !

:-)
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...thern-Virginia
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Tangerine Dreams studio 1982...4343's?

So this is apparently a pic from Tangerine Dream's Berlin Studio circa 1982, looks like some 4343s up the back?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

spaceward studios 4343s

..another studio were 4343s were used was Spaceward studios, where artists such as Gary Numan, The Stranglers and Iron Maiden were recorded.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Goldjazz View Post
    So this is apparently a pic from Tangerine Dream's Berlin Studio circa 1982, looks like some 4343s up the back?
    Appears to be a film sound track setup. Lots of keyboards thrown about the room. Still, it appears to be a substantial equipment investment altogether. Note the Pride of Cupertino- the early Apple computer.
    David F
    San Jose

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Appears to be a film sound track setup. Lots of keyboards thrown about the room. Still, it appears to be a substantial equipment investment altogether. Note the Pride of Cupertino- the early Apple computer.
    Yep well TD sure did a lot of film soundtracks. Apparently even Risky Business in '83...perhaps this setup was used.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I, too, was intrigued by Greg's analysis. I have my 4345s with cc crossovers, bi-amped and now I have an original-in-box pair of 250Tis to try, too. Haven't done it yet simply out of lack of space to do the 250s justice but my take from fooling with them at one of our East Coast Lansing Heritage meets is that they'll require lots more power to do what the 4345s do with just two small Crown PS400 and PS200 amps. So I have a Crown Studio Reference-II that should let them sing. I'm looking forward to the opportunity, but then I'm looking forward to having spare time, a larger house, and quitting my job, too, none of which is likely to happen anytime real soon!
    I have run them on a 85wpc Denon receiver ... sounded vnice, not their best tho.
    ran them on a 200wpc Adcom GFA-555 ...even better, more solid bass
    currently run them with a BGW 750D of 375wpc ... that's the end, don't think they can get better
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

With two bridged K2's, who knows

I think that they can do 20-30% better than the BGW with an amp like a big Pass.

I think that they can do 20-30% better than the BGW with an amp like a big Pass.
    Wow, talk about pulling numbers out of your a$$ Do you have any experience or just a WAG ?

I'd love to have a big Pass amp , but I'm out of the building phase. A forum member who heard
    the 250's asked if it was a big Bryston pushing them.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information