Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JBL 4343's used in Discos in the 70's?

Quote Originally Posted by Goldjazz View Post
    Chees. Yeah I havent got the 5234A yet, nor the amps I wanna biamp with. Will definitely report back when I do
    I look forward to hear that. At the moment, I'm using this vintage crossover with two Crown amps in a biamp mode. Just sound great!

[QUOTE=Goldjazz;365936]
    Quote Originally Posted by pyonc View Post

Ive only had one listening session at this point..so busy. I did play Miles Davis...really cool.
    Great. I don't know your favorite music, but be it rock or jazz or even classical, 4343s will not disappoint you. Especially, jazz.

[QUOTE=hjames;365929]But see, the discussion here WAS talking about using 4343s in Disco clubs in
    but have you tried a little disco on your big JBLs ...

Not yet. I love many types of music. Ive only had the one listening session so far "papa was a rollin stone" by the temptations stood out which is closest I got, as did "days are.numbers" alan parsons amd "radioactivity" kraftwerk. Yeah I have no doubt they will play disco well. They definitely can slam the bass, theres often a lot instrumental and electronic details and layers going on in disco for them 4343s to expand amd make distinct. I was listening to "keep forgetting" Michael Mcdonald amd noting how distinct all the elemwnts sounded and heard a whole layer of kind of synth going on in the background that i hadnt heard before. and a I'll give some of those tracks you recommend a listen, hey the industrial building i keep them in is even big enough to rollerskate in

Yeah I was suprised that 4343s were being used in discos. Surprised 1. That it is actually suited to the application since i think of 4343s as being carefully positioned in a studio amd perhaps with a narrowish sweet spot. but to the point made earlier they are capable of serious spls so why not. And Suprised 2. That some discos were investing in high end gear like this. I think its cool that they were trying to deliver a real experience for people. Definitely no snobbery going on regarding the music itself, be it jazz, disco, classical, rock whatever you can get deeply engaged with the music and i think part of the reason why we are all here (on this forum) is that we know that being engaged and immersed in the music is awesome and this great vintage jbl/altec gear can enhance that

Definitely no snobbery going on regarding the music itself, be it jazz, disco, classical, rock whatever you can get deeply engaged with the music and i think part of the reason why we are all here (on this forum) is that we know that being engaged and immersed in the music is awesome and this great vintage jbl/altec gear can enhance that
    Yea, I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    GT himself has stated that JBL's destined for Nippon are voiced differently and the bass response is reduced. Straight up, standard JBL's made for USA are fine with me.
    Really? I hear JBL produced 4344 MK II primarily for the Japanese market.

Yep - that the cool thing - you can find so much engaging music when you have great speakers like those ...
    I kind of liked vintage TDream and Kraftwork - but the bigger speakers brought out a whole lot more detail in a lot of other music I had not paid as much attention to.

I will admit up front - Malcolm Mclaren's "Fan" is about as close to opera as I'll ever get, and I doubt I'll find a point of connection with rap and hip hop
    (tho Art of Noise pushes on the edge of some of that) ... but that leaves a HUGE filed of stuff that can delight me ...

Get those puppies home and enjoy them - and - I suspect you'll be amazed when you get them setup for biamp ... another layer opens in the quality!

Not yet. I love many types of music. Ive only had the one listening session so far "papa was a rollin stone" by the temptations stood out which is closest I got, as did "days are.numbers" alan parsons amd "radioactivity" kraftwerk. Yeah I have no doubt they will play disco well. They definitely can slam the bass, theres often a lot instrumental and electronic details and layers going on in disco for them 4343s to expand amd make distinct. I was listening to "keep forgetting" Michael Mcdonald amd noting how distinct all the elemwnts sounded and heard a whole layer of kind of synth going on in the background that i hadnt heard before. and a I'll give some of those tracks you recommend a listen, hey the industrial building i keep them in is even big enough to rollerskate in

Yeah I was suprised that 4343s were being used in discos. Surprised 1. That it is actually suited to the application since i think of 4343s as being carefully positioned in a studio amd perhaps with a narrowish sweet spot. but to the point made earlier they are capable of serious spls so why not. And Suprised 2. That some discos were investing in high end gear like this. I think its cool that they were trying to deliver a real experience for people. Definitely no snobbery going on regarding the music itself, be it jazz, disco, classical, rock whatever you can get deeply engaged with the music and i think part of the reason why we are all here (on this forum) is that we know that being engaged and immersed in the music is awesome and this great vintage jbl/altec gear can enhance that
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Forget jazz and put some Giorgio Moroder on!

By the way, I have yet to hear better bottom end than what the 2235H in my 4343 can produce when powered with a Crown K2.
    It just sounds so effortless and detailed, you can hear even the most subtle things while listening to classical music but when needed the can produce thunderous, chest thumping bass with little effort.

Before I bought the 4343's I owned B&W Nautilis 802's and even with a massive DBX BX1 poweramp they still were bass shy on lower volume levels, boy those things soak amp power like a sponge!

Quote Originally Posted by martin2395 View Post
    Forget jazz and put some Giorgio Moroder on!

By the way, I have yet to hear better bottom end than what the 2235H in my 4343 can produce when powered with a Crown K2.
    It just sounds so effortless and detailed, you can hear even the most subtle things while listening to classical music but when needed the can produce thunderous, chest thumping bass with little effort.

Before I bought the 4343's I owned B&W Nautilis 802's and even with a massive DBX BX1 poweramp they still were bass shy on lower volume levels, boy those things soak amp power like a sponge!
    Ha well Giorgio used a pair of 4311s so no wonder his music is suited to jbls
    I did read that the 2235h was an improved 2231h. Did you hear both? Yeah the synergy and history of crowns and jbls is well documented here. I'm definitely considering it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=hjames;365929]But see, the discussion here WAS talking about using 4343s in Disco clubs in the 70s ...
    its even the title of the thread itself. It was NOT a thread talking about retro Jazz clubs in Japan.

heck, just a bit of the long play version of the Georgio Moroder/Donna Summers track "I Feel Love"
    You should give it a spin - its a great track to workout your JBLs

Listening to this right now on the 43's ....jaw dropping. Good call

If you like that and you like Kraftwerk, chase down some Tangerine Dream - the Soundtrack for Thief is pretty good (Try "Beach Scene" or "Burning Bar") ...

After the discussion here, I got stuck on David Bowie: Lets Dance (with Nile Rodgers and Stevie Ray Vaughn!)
    ... tracks like Cat People, China Girl, Criminal World - and - Under Pressure - there's a lot of PUNCH to that album!

Got to scoot - have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    But see, the discussion here WAS talking about using 4343s in Disco clubs in the 70s ...
    its even the title of the thread itself. It was NOT a thread talking about retro Jazz clubs in Japan.

heck, just a bit of the long play version of the Georgio Moroder/Donna Summers track "I Feel Love"
    You should give it a spin - its a great track to workout your JBLs
    Listening to this right now on the 43's ....jaw dropping. Good call
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

so a bunch of posts about how wonderful the 4343's are ....but it's pretty well accepted that the 4345 is better ?

any argument yet ?

so now then compare the 4345 with the 250Ti , as the designer of both has.

Quote Originally Posted by gtimbers View Post

Before closing I should comment briefly about the 250 - 4345 comparison. Simply put, I prefer a 250. I like the bass quality of the LE14 woofer. Alway have and always will. The 2245 when used as a dedicated sub is one of the best sounding woofers ever. It has an amazing blend of speed, pitch and punch. So does the 14" but the 18" is better. Unfortunately the 18" dislike for passive networks hurts it more than the 14" is hurt by a passive network. I think the mid and high range on the 250 is smoother and much more open however the 4345 wins by a bunch in terms of effortless dynamic sound. I have made all of the above changes to 250 systems (except for separate amp on UHF) and the improvement is huge. I have not done so on the 4345 but I suspect that that system will benefit from theses changes more than a 250 would. If both systems were tweaked out to about the same level, I suspect it would be very hard to come up with a clear overall winner, but I think I might lean towards the 4345 as having the greater potential.
    does that now put the 250Ti above the 4343 ? (discounting the huge sound aid of a blue face ?) ... produced too late for Disco tho ..
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

does that now put the 250Ti above the 4343 ? (discounting the huge sound aid of a blue face ?) ... produced too late for Disco tho

I've never heard the 250ti or the 4345, I have heard a 4344 and a paragon. Would love to hear both those some day among many others.

does that now put the 250Ti above the 4343 ? (discounting the huge sound aid of a blue face ?) ... produced too late for Disco tho

I've never heard the 250ti or the 4345, I have heard a 4344 and a paragon. Would love to hear both those some day among many others.
    Too late for disco? Disco never went away, they just started calling them "clubs" a while ago. The drivers in the 250ti are not capable of playing at disco levels.

Pacific Northwest, but North-er and West-er
    Yep - that the cool thing - you can find so much engaging music when you have great speakers like those ...
    For Sure. Just today I read - in some forgettable publication from a writer I've never heard of - an amp review from 2003. One of his keen observations about great gear was that it makes you want to listen to lots of things outside of your usual comfort zone. A year ago I never would have listened to Lionel Hampton, but last weekend he got about three hours of play!
    I control the treble.
    I control the bass.

If you like that and you like Kraftwerk, chase down some Tangerine Dream - the Soundtrack for Thief is pretty good (Try "Beach Scene" or "Burning Bar") ...

After the discussion here, I got stuck on David Bowie: Lets Dance (with Nile Rodgers and Stevie Ray Vaughn!)
    ... tracks like Cat People, China Girl, Criminal World - and - Under Pressure - there's a lot of PUNCH to that album!

Got to scoot - have fun!
    Yeah so this was my second listening session and i actually was listening to Tangerine dream as my friend came by who's a big fan. Stevie wonder superstition was great as was boogie wonderland (earth wind) and Can you get to that (funkadelic). Then I was just jumping all over the place I switched to some classical (yo-yo ma, ennio morricone and mahler), shine on you crazy diamond, and comfortably numb, then flamenco sketches. all that stuff sounded pretty cool. It's funny how some tracks just really "work" and other are just so so. I haven't yet worked out if the so so ones are just poorly recorded and/or produced or that they're not suited to these punchy big speakers. But for the tracks that really work on these things it's like discovering the song all over again, it's kind of a different experience and makes you think that this was the experience that was intended by the artist if you know what I mean.

Thread Information