Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Voltiaudio

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    I dabbled in HYPERSONIC AIRCRAFT...Amongst other things,,,
    Link to your website please, I wanna see!

Maron Horonzakz
    BOEING,,,,, Also Smithsonian ,,,Also Navy Museum

BOING,,,,, Also Smithsonian ,,,Also Navy Museum

BOING? Not familiar.

Are you telling me you were the doorman at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C. and at the Navy Museum (which one)?

Maron Horonzakz
    Your a real smartass arnt you..

I agree Wagner, the bloke is a tool!

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    Thank you, the voice of reason and from someone that actually read my post.

I don't know what all this Greg Roberts defense league lecturing is all about; all I wanted to know was who's (more importantly models and or specs) drivers he used for two reasons:
    1. Amp compatibility
    and
    2. Future service needs

And I'm catching shit for it? At this forum? After what a one time iconic giant did as far as specs and service parts? Unbelievable.

Everyone can pick sides and "think" what they wish but my opinion remains unchanged. You expect 15K and or up and refuse to speak to technical and or service needs and you are full of shit, period (and just MIGHT have something to hide, note I said MIGHT)

The discussion was never about the merits, or any criticism of, outsourcing, re-badging, subcontracting, buying from vendors versus manufacturing in house or Greg Robert's personality.........none of it. Don't know where all this BS is coming from?

He could take care of a lot of this by simply publishing some honest specs on his systems but he also refuses to do that, but oh yeah, Greg's an "artist" and doesn't like to get all bogged down with such pesky details..........he doesn't even provide a nominal impedance measurement! Guess his target demographic is expected to allow him, the "artist" to take care of those amplifier needs as well.

And there would be no issue for me me anyway except for the fact that these are for purchase ON-LINE ONLY.

And just to be adamantly clear, I never said one derogatory or negative word regarding the sound of this joker's speakers.

Not one
    Hi Wagner, Check out the sales pitch from Greg on AVShowrooms in YouTube. It really is ridiculous! The responses here so far have clearly been by fan's of Greg and really surprise me considering that this site is supposed be about serious speaker lovers who understand the importance of specs. Why on earth wouldn't some specs and test results be available? Suspicious for sure. I read the websites of ultra high end makers like Kharma, Magico, Raidho ect and they all show test results and describe their drivers. My Harbeth monitors, whilst not tested in an anechoic chamber, do show Freq Response as tested in room. I really love the look of Volti, and was very keen, but not now. The blokes a woodworker DIY'er who has decided he can slap a driver in a box and sell it in the realm of the serious manufacturer.

"Sucks to be you then; maybe you should put a little sweat equity into a pair of heritage JBLs as I and many others have. That way you can rest assured of 100% American design AND manufacture. It is well worth the effort, I promise you! But you will need to verify the cabinet load before you buy them!"

Yea, Wagner, I need help getting some old vintage JBL speakers....

I like collecting midcentury stuff that fits our 1957 brick MCM house, so why break up that vibe with the JBLs, eh?

one JBL C35
    two JBL C36s with thin edge legs
    three JBL C37s
    two C38s
    three C40s
    And a new to the house pair of JBL 250Tis.
    4313s

A pair of Altec 604Ds in Barzilay cabs
    and a pair of Altec Model 19s
    And the four pair of L100s, L150s, L112s, L166s and others that have moved on.

But we all realize this thread is a diatribe, which normally does not contain reasoned discourse.

Wankers Abound

BOING? Not familiar.

Are you telling me you were the doorman at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C. and at the Navy Museum (which one)?
    Wagner, I am finding audio websites all over the place have nutjobs who are as fanatical about their argument they loose all credibility with their rants. For example, The Absolute Sound review $200K Magico loudspeakers and debate erupts about how much of a rip off they are, and how bad they sound, by people who obviously will NEVER actually afford to own them or only heard them at a trade show. These people are fanatical fools who like to seem intelligent online, yet are usually meek and slow in real life. Speaker debate is as bad as one with Democrats vs Republicans or Atheists vs Christians. Quite bizarre actually! Seemingly logical conversation is disregarded, and to not understand the basis of your initial contribution clearly shows that. I actually read what you said, agree completely with it, and whilst manufacturers are obviously entitled to maintain business confidentiality, any serious manufacturer go to great lengths to describe their speaker drivers and test results. My very first post here a couple of months ago, was about my new JBLS4700 speakers arriving home and I found one floor spike had a thread that was not cut properly. I had to use pliers to forcibly screw it on! It worked without damage, but my point here was that they should be perfectly made for a RRP of $20K! Well, the responses ranged from it being my fault in the way I screwed it on, (I'm an engineer), to just suck it up and enjoy the great speakers. It's the first pair of Mexican speakers I've bought, and whilst the sound is really good it will be the last pair of new JBL's I buy. Don't despair, logic is not lost on all, and my ego is not bruised easily.

Quote Originally Posted by sheltiedave View Post
    "Sucks to be you then; maybe you should put a little sweat equity into a pair of heritage JBLs as I and many others have. That way you can rest assured of 100% American design AND manufacture. It is well worth the effort, I promise you! But you will need to verify the cabinet load before you buy them!"

Yea, Wagner, I need help getting some old vintage JBL speakers....

I like collecting midcentury stuff that fits our 1957 brick MCM house, so why break up that vibe with the JBLs, eh?

one JBL C35
    two JBL C36s with thin edge legs
    three JBL C37s
    two C38s
    three C40s
    And a new to the house pair of JBL 250Tis.
    4313s

A pair of Altec 604Ds in Barzilay cabs
    and a pair of Altec Model 19s
    And the four pair of L100s, L150s, L112s, L166s and others that have moved on.

But we all realize this thread is a diatribe, which normally does not contain reasoned discourse.
    You helped push it there

I was only answering to YOUR inquiry but now your line has changed

A guy who quotes Art Dudley as "Art", owns all those great speakers and lives in a "MCM"!

I'm impressed; can I sit at your table?

Quote Originally Posted by AussieSteve View Post
    Wagner, I am finding audio websites all over the place have nutjobs who are as fanatical about their argument they loose all credibility with their rants. For example, The Absolute Sound review $200K Magico loudspeakers and debate erupts about how much of a rip off they are, and how bad they sound, by people who obviously will NEVER actually afford to own them or only heard them at a trade show. These people are fanatical fools who like to seem intelligent online, yet are usually meek and slow in real life. Speaker debate is as bad as one with Democrats vs Republicans or Atheists vs Christians. Quite bizarre actually! Seemingly logical conversation is disregarded, and to not understand the basis of your initial contribution clearly shows that. I actually read what you said, agree completely with it, and whilst manufacturers are obviously entitled to maintain business confidentiality, any serious manufacturer go to great lengths to describe their speaker drivers and test results. My very first post here a couple of months ago, was about my new JBLS4700 speakers arriving home and I found one floor spike had a thread that was not cut properly. I had to use pliers to forcibly screw it on! It worked without damage, but my point here was that they should be perfectly made for a RRP of $20K! Well, the responses ranged from it being my fault in the way I screwed it on, (I'm an engineer), to just suck it up and enjoy the great speakers. It's the first pair of Mexican speakers I've bought, and whilst the sound is really good it will be the last pair of new JBL's I buy. Don't despair, logic is not lost on all, and my ego is not bruised easily.

Thank you for that and for your contributions to my thread

The one and only guy so far that actually came close to pulling the trigger on a pair of these things

As for your fit 'n' finish complaint? I concur 100%

My wife bought a cheap assemble it yourself chair from Target or the like made in china of course.
    It's price was a little under $200
    The overall quality and comfort is fairly decent, but in order to assemble it, it was a good thing that I just happened to have on hand a metric tap and die set as well as numerous other hand tools. The screws they provided in the "kit" were also too short in a couple of instances to properly secure the seat bottom slat as well as a few other bits
    This chair was marketed and sold as an item which the purchaser could easily assemble with the hexagonal wrench provided in minutes.

Yeah, right

The major problem with it was, yep you guessed it, threaded inserts made on shit tooling, probably not calibrated since we shipped it over there 25 years ago and made of cheap steel.
    Like most of the hardware one finds even in brand name hardware stores today
    Sourcing really high grade high quality machine screws EASILY today? Forget it!
    But you can get them if you need them

From the 3rd world I don't complain and have come to expect it and deal with it. After all it's only a cheap shit comfy chair for doing her nails and watching TV

But in the case of your speakers? Unacceptable. Use quality hardware, fitted before shipping, no problems, period.

So many people today (Americans especially) have been so brain washed into just simply accepting crap (all manner and brand of crap and mediocrity) based on bumper sticker philosophies and catch phrases like "shit happens" "life's too short" or my favorite, "that's a first world problem" that it makes me want to puke

I am a BIG fan of Western Civilization, The Industrial Revolution and most of all QUALITY, the way it used to and was expected to be, when dealing with luxury goods most especially

Hell, most things for that matter. It all starts small and pretty soon you wind up with nothing but crap

A great many people worked and fought VERY hard to get us where we are, I can't just fob it off so flippantly

Unfortunately, most of the herds today reject my position of "hold their feet to the fire" but maybe, just maybe if they embraced it the quality of manufactured goods in general would improve

RCA's Dynaflex debacle helps make my point; after enough returns they finally knocked it off with THAT crap
    Guy who ran my boyhood town's little record shop didn't mind taking them back. His philosophy was the same as mine. Not just picking on Dynaflex. Anyone alive and buying records during the late '60s well into the '70s remembers well the generally piss poor condition of the record pressing business. The oil crisis etc etc etc.
    My guy said bring 'em back!
    If people just accepted this crap as just "the way it is", regardless of the justifications, rationalizations or even virtues cited, then pretty soon it'd be all you'd get is what he'd say. He was right then and he's right now.

I've got dozens more and I am quite certain everyone here has their own "made in china", or similar, cheap crap horror stories. But as John and those bumper stickers proclaim, "it is what it is"

Soon it will be all there is "all crap, all the time"

But not when you're paying real coin for a product, any product, which touts it's historical QUALITY as well as performance

And now I'm Mr. Off Topic!

Hello,
    I just recently wrote this fellow, Greg Roberts and asked him a few simple questions regarding his driver selections and specs of his systems as it would pertain to planning good amplification matching
    Seems totally reasonable to me.

His response let us say was a bit less than forthcoming.
    I first heard of this guy because of the restoration work, fancy cabinets, veneer jobs and box modifications which he was doing for and on Klipsch products. Seemed interesting and his work looked good as far as I could tell from photographs.

I initially was going to discuss some custom work on a pair of JBL boxes with the man.

Now it would appear he is no longer doing that as his loudspeakers have become quite trendy in certain circles and he appears and claims to be doing well enough to require devoting all of his time and efforts to that endeavor. More power to him and congratulations.
    Indeed. Anyone that can make it in the audio industry these days....Goddess bless them.

Still, it bothers me that any speaker manufacturer would be reluctant to at least provide the most basic of technical details regarding his systems. And as much as the quality of his wood work he really really really sells the fact that his systems are 100% Made in U.S.A. so that claim really piqued my curiosity as to who's drivers he was using or was this guy by wild ass chance actually building his own here in the U.S.A.!? At his asking prices I thought it might be possible, maybe.

I also pointed out that I consider this essential information also as to the what when and how to obtain service parts if he were NOT to survive forever (like diaphragms and the like)
    Still, totally reasonable....

Could anyone here shed any light on these designs?

His main emphasis on his website is the high quality of fit and finish, his heirloom quality boxes and the fact that he makes certain every piece of grille cloth is attched perfectly square.

I will be the first to admit that I too apprecaiate those things but I'd be even more interested in what's actually inside the boxes.

It's not as if one could not be opened and the big secret revealed.
    I can't shed any light on the designs, however I have seen and heard a pair. They are quite beautiful to the eye. Designed with low power tube amps in mind, I'm sure.

My email to Greg Roberts:

Hello,
    Please tell me if your would; what "brand" of transducers do you employ in your beautiful designs?
    Please advise.
    Thank you for your time and consideration
    Now, you probably could have started off a little smoother here. You know, a little foreplay. For example, you could have explained your concerns about matching amplifier designs to his speakers, and maybe whether his speakers react better with low or high output impedance amplifiers. Or, would he have an opinion whether the speakers sound "better" with a 300b SET amp, or a Push Pull 845 amp. That sort of thing. "Work up" to the driver info. The actual brand of driver isn't critical to the case you laid out. You said you were looking for measurement information to better match an amplifier, and future availability of spare parts in the event of his or his company's (premature) demise. Oh, and curiosity.

His reply:

Hi,
    I'm sorry but I don't disclose what brand or model of drivers I use. I cantell you that the tweeter uses a 1" compression driver, the mid a 2" outletcompression driver with a 3.5" diaphragm, and the woofer is a high-power,pro-audio 15" driver. Why do you ask?
    Regards,Greg Roberts
    www.voltiaudio.com
    Exactly what I would have expected from him.

My response:

Hello Greg Roberts,
    Well, I am sorry to hear that but not surprised.
    As you are unwilling to reveal your "proprietary" off the shelf selections (I suspect) when it comes to driver selections then what does it matter "why" I ask.
    But suffice it to say, in my opinion, anyone (purchaser) serious and knowledgeable in system matching and amplifier building and modifications (tubes) would certainly find this information useful.
    I certainly hope you can understand that. Many of your boxes have been "opened up" and commented upon at various (many) "places" on the internet. I take much of this sort of palaver with a pound of salt.
    I simply wanted to confirm, from the "horses mouth" as it were, the accuracy and the facts, rather than deal in second hand information and speculation. I could also find no technical data sheets on your web site, only glowing hyperbole and "glamour" shots. It may all very well be true, and well deserved (I have read nothing to cast doubt) BUT it is a brand of information of little use to an amp builder.
    And again, when you ask me "why do I ask" I almost feel as if you are pulling my leg.
    My age and current health prohibit me from a whole lot of system building at this point in Life; I found yours intriguing and their obvious beauty and attention to detail (fit and finish) make in them a viable candidate for me as I too find that element of system building important.
    But there is more to it than perfectly attached grille cloth or exotic veneers (as you well know) and though nice, very nice indeed, I am still at a point in my audio endeavors to need a bit more information than that.
    Sorry to hear you are unwilling or unable to help. I will learn what I seek from other sources.
    I also find it difficult to be sitting here even justifying my most reasonable and practical inquiry!
    Here's wishing you and your business well!
    Thank you for your time and consideration.
    See, now you're pretty much telling him you think he's a wanker.

Greg's response:

Hi,
    I'm sorry you're having such difficulty with my decision to keep thisinformation private. I have my reasons. It does matter why anyone asks me about the drivers. Many people wish tobuild their own speakers, and would like to use the same drivers that I amusing and then claim they have made a Volti speaker. That's obviously notsomething I have any control over. But I do have control over whatinformation I choose to give out about my speakers. Regarding the technical specifications of my speakers, or the technicalspecs on the drivers for that matter, I am the first to admit that I am notmuch of a technician when it comes to designing and building speakers. Ionly put a small amount of importance on such things. I am more of anartist, and I use my ears to judge what I hear, and I take action based onwhat I hear. I fully understand that for some people that is not how theywish to buy audio products. There are those who focus on the technicalspecifications, and that's fine. They simply are not my customers, and Iaccept that. People buy audio equipment for many different reasons, and they usedifferent criteria for determining what they wish to own. Volti Audio hastheir customers and YG Acoustics, Raidho, JBL, etc... all have theircustomers. It's all good.
    Regards, Greg Roberts
    www.voltiaudio.com
    Seems totally reasonable to me. It's his company, and he can run it any damn way he pleases.

Is this guy just full of shit or is it me?
    It's You.

There were a few more exchanges but I'll spare you the rest.
    Suffice it to say it got a little "testy".
    I don't know why it would have gone past the email exchanges you've posted. You made your argument for information, he made his argument for secrecy.
    Speakers he's asking over $15K for and he won't tell me what's in them?
    I'm certain there are many speaker builders selling expensive speakers you could send that same email to, and get essentially the same response.

Kind of blows my mind. But what do I know?
    I reminded him of long gone trendy builders of audio like Audio Alchemy, California Audio etc.........didn't seem to phase him (my, and I would think anyone's, concern with future parts and or service needs.)
    Look, pretty much everyone on this forum understands your interest in serviceability. Who among us hasn't been burned by out of production parts? And I'd venture to guess, most everyone here is in the 99% this guy is not trying to sell his speakers to. The folks who will purchase these can afford to not worry about spare parts. How long will JBL support parts for the Everest? 2020, 2030? Will they contact all the owners and let them know that "after a certain date recone kits will no longer be available for your $60,000 speakers." Don't think so.
    What the heck's up with this guy. But most importantly, can anyone please shed any light on what he's running in these boxes?
    Just new and improved variations on Klipsch designs? I'd love to know.
    Sorry, but I can't help with what drivers he's using. If I knew, I'd tell you.

Thank you!
    You're welcome

Maron Horonzakz
    $15K 20K,,,,By some standards ,that's not a lot of money,,,Maybe daddy can buy you a new audio toy... like a BOSE. Now that's a company that will give you a specsheet..

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    Now, you probably could have started off a little smoother here. You know, a little foreplay. For example, you could have explained your concerns about matching amplifier designs to his speakers, and maybe whether his speakers react better with low or high output impedance amplifiers. Or, would he have an opinion whether the speakers sound "better" with a 300b SET amp, or a Push Pull 845 amp. That sort of thing. "Work up" to the driver info. The actual brand of driver isn't critical to the case you laid out. You said you were looking for measurement information to better match an amplifier, and future availability of spare parts in the event of his or his company's (premature) demise. Oh, and curiosity.

I enjoyed your post very much! Gave me a good chuckle after spending 2 hours+ in a damn MRI machine this afternoon

Actually, I am still chuckling!

And hoping from it all and notably the above, you are just one funny guy (that likes to make people laugh!)

Thanks again!

Sorry to hear about the time in the MRI. Hope all's well.

$15K 20K,,,,By some standards ,that's not a lot of money,,,Maybe daddy can buy you a new audio toy... like a BOSE. Now that's a company that will give you a specsheet..

Sorry pal, strike three. Well known fact to anyone with any experience fooling around with loud speakers, It would appear that to some, the "no data, all wank" practice only yields SOME companies as laughingstocks in the opinions of those claiming to be serious about sound quality:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...+specs&spell=1

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...+publish+specs

But thank you very very much for your help in further supporting my position on what is, and isn't, simply internet noise, baseless hyperbole and just plain old bull shit! (this excerpt can be found in one of the many articles I have provided you the links for just in case you don't feel compelled to actually use them and read up on a few of the facts of the matter)

http://techcrunch.com/2007/09/19/dr-...pecs-and-more/

"The mysterious, elusive, and admittedly obsessive Dr. Amar Bose, founder and namesake of the Bose Corporation, made a rare appearance Tuesday to a select group of journalists. The occasion was the launch of their new Bose Computer MusicMonitor speakers, but the real treat was hearing the good doctor dish out secrets about the history of Bose, why they almost went bankrupt, and why they never, ever publish specifications for any of their products. As he put it, he spoke to us about “things never discussed outside the company, things that only people involved in the beginning know.”

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post

Sorry to hear about the time in the MRI. Hope all's well.

Thanks
    But after all, "it is what it is"!
    After all, que sera sera!

Thread Information