Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Voltiaudio

Voltiaudio

Hello,
    I just recently wrote this fellow, Greg Roberts and asked him a few simple questions regarding his driver selections and specs of his systems as it would pertain to planning good amplification matching.

His response let us say was a bit less than forthcoming.
    I first heard of this guy because of the restoration work, fancy cabinets, veneer jobs and box modifications which he was doing for and on Klipsch products. Seemed interesting and his work looked good as far as I could tell from photographs.

I initially was going to discuss some custom work on a pair of JBL boxes with the man.

Now it would appear he is no longer doing that as his loudspeakers have become quite trendy in certain circles and he appears and claims to be doing well enough to require devoting all of his time and efforts to that endeavor. More power to him and congratulations.

Still, it bothers me that any speaker manufacturer would be reluctant to at least provide the most basic of technical details regarding his systems. And as much as the quality of his wood work he really really really sells the fact that his systems are 100% Made in U.S.A. so that claim really piqued my curiosity as to who's drivers he was using or was this guy by wild ass chance actually building his own here in the U.S.A.!? At his asking prices I thought it might be possible, maybe.

I also pointed out that I consider this essential information also as to the what when and how to obtain service parts if he were NOT to survive forever (like diaphragms and the like)

Could anyone here shed any light on these designs?

His main emphasis on his website is the high quality of fit and finish, his heirloom quality boxes and the fact that he makes certain every piece of grille cloth is attched perfectly square.

I will be the first to admit that I too apprecaiate those things but I'd be even more interested in what's actually inside the boxes.

It's not as if one could not be opened and the big secret revealed.

My email to Greg Roberts:

Hello,
    Please tell me if your would; what "brand" of transducers do you employ in your beautiful designs?
    Please advise.
    Thank you for your time and consideration

His reply:

Hi,
    I'm sorry but I don't disclose what brand or model of drivers I use. I cantell you that the tweeter uses a 1" compression driver, the mid a 2" outletcompression driver with a 3.5" diaphragm, and the woofer is a high-power,pro-audio 15" driver. Why do you ask?
    Regards,Greg Roberts
    www.voltiaudio.com

My response:

Hello Greg Roberts,
    Well, I am sorry to hear that but not surprised.
    As you are unwilling to reveal your "proprietary" off the shelf selections (I suspect) when it comes to driver selections then what does it matter "why" I ask.
    But suffice it to say, in my opinion, anyone (purchaser) serious and knowledgeable in system matching and amplifier building and modifications (tubes) would certainly find this information useful.
    I certainly hope you can understand that. Many of your boxes have been "opened up" and commented upon at various (many) "places" on the internet. I take much of this sort of palaver with a pound of salt.
    I simply wanted to confirm, from the "horses mouth" as it were, the accuracy and the facts, rather than deal in second hand information and speculation. I could also find no technical data sheets on your web site, only glowing hyperbole and "glamour" shots. It may all very well be true, and well deserved (I have read nothing to cast doubt) BUT it is a brand of information of little use to an amp builder.
    And again, when you ask me "why do I ask" I almost feel as if you are pulling my leg.
    My age and current health prohibit me from a whole lot of system building at this point in Life; I found yours intriguing and their obvious beauty and attention to detail (fit and finish) make in them a viable candidate for me as I too find that element of system building important.
    But there is more to it than perfectly attached grille cloth or exotic veneers (as you well know) and though nice, very nice indeed, I am still at a point in my audio endeavors to need a bit more information than that.
    Sorry to hear you are unwilling or unable to help. I will learn what I seek from other sources.
    I also find it difficult to be sitting here even justifying my most reasonable and practical inquiry!
    Here's wishing you and your business well!
    Thank you for your time and consideration.

Greg's response:

Hi,
    I'm sorry you're having such difficulty with my decision to keep thisinformation private. I have my reasons. It does matter why anyone asks me about the drivers. Many people wish tobuild their own speakers, and would like to use the same drivers that I amusing and then claim they have made a Volti speaker. That's obviously notsomething I have any control over. But I do have control over whatinformation I choose to give out about my speakers. Regarding the technical specifications of my speakers, or the technicalspecs on the drivers for that matter, I am the first to admit that I am notmuch of a technician when it comes to designing and building speakers. Ionly put a small amount of importance on such things. I am more of anartist, and I use my ears to judge what I hear, and I take action based onwhat I hear. I fully understand that for some people that is not how theywish to buy audio products. There are those who focus on the technicalspecifications, and that's fine. They simply are not my customers, and Iaccept that. People buy audio equipment for many different reasons, and they usedifferent criteria for determining what they wish to own. Volti Audio hastheir customers and YG Acoustics, Raidho, JBL, etc... all have theircustomers. It's all good.
    Regards, Greg Roberts
    www.voltiaudio.com

Is this guy just full of shit or is it me?
    There were a few more exchanges but I'll spare you the rest.
    Suffice it to say it got a little "testy".
    Speakers he's asking over $15K for and he won't tell me what's in them?
    Kind of blows my mind. But what do I know?
    I reminded him of long gone trendy builders of audio like Audio Alchemy, California Audio etc.........didn't seem to phase him (my, and I would think anyone's, concern with future parts and or service needs.)
    What the heck's up with this guy. But most importantly, can anyone please shed any light on what he's running in these boxes?
    Just new and improved variations on Klipsch designs? I'd love to know.

Thank you!

Looks like the Klipsh I think I would go for the original ones. At least you know what you getBut it says it is made in USA. Then the drivers are made there as well

Pacific Northwest, but North-er and West-er
    Interesting. In your exchange with him he claims not to be much of a technician when it comes to designing and building speakers, and puts a small amount of importance on such things.

From that I gather he doesn't understnad very much about how speakers work. Solely putting trust in ones ears is a pretty dubious way to design speakers - especially when self-bias somes into play. "Trust my ears" is one of those claims that's impossible to verify or counter. The sooner it comes out in conversation, the less I believe the claimant understands and more I believe they're concealing a lack thereof.

("Trust my ears" is not always suspicious. Many interviews with designers I've read and watched talk about their process and what they were aiming for, the trade-offs, alternatives, and what-not. "Trust my ears" for them tends to come at the end of the process, perhaps choosing one capacitor over another in a crossover.)

He provides an off-the-shelf Marchand (a long time DIY vendor) amplifier for his subwoofer, so it wouldn't surprise me if the drivers are commonly available, DIY drivers as well. If everyone knew that, it'd be tough to maintain a $15k price tag on his systems. I mean really - if they were manufactured to his spec, I think he'd proudly say so. And he'd probably have some say in the quantities manufactured and some control their distribution; and not fear so much people copying his product.
    I control the treble.
    I control the bass.

Pacific Northwest, but North-er and West-er
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobecca View Post
    Looks like the Klipsh I think I would go for the original ones. At least you know what you getBut it says it is made in USA. Then the drivers are made there as well
    He can define Made in USA any way he pleases until someone calls him on it.
    I control the treble.
    I control the bass.

He was a member of this forum for a while, had some JBL restoration on his site that looked very nice,
    back in the days of Scott and Zilch and Ken (say '06 or so)
    ... He was very friendly and showed off some JBLs he refurbed, and beautiful Rosewood Klipsch he redid ...
    At some point he did a restoration or a build for some customer that used some very personalized stylings.
    It wasn't bubinga (? sorry, I am not a cabinetmaker) but it had a pretty dramatic pattern on the wood and
    some members really vented their distaste on the look of those speakers.

He did what his customer wanted, I gather it was a very well funded project, but some of the members here were
    merciless about what they felt it looked like, and he left the forum shortly afterwards.

I heard the Volti speakers and a matched sub at the Capital Audio show a few years back -
    and yes, they were pretty pricey, but they looked very nice and the music he played sounded great,
    and he was very friendly to everyone that came up and talked to him.

http://www.voltiaudio.com/

No snark meant, but maybe he just didn't take kindly to a series of emails grilling him?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Wagner, you questioned him and he correctly assessed that you meant his business little good, so he did not provide the information you wanted. There are few difficulties sourcing 1" compression tweeters, 2" compression mids, and 15" 4 ohm woofers that will exceed the design performance specs of the Klipsch guts.

TAD, BMS, PAudio, JBL, Beyma, Eminence, Radian, Truextant, etc are the usual suspects. I'm sure if you spent the money to attend one of the expositions where he displayed, you went to one of his owner client's home for an in-house, or you read the various Klipsch threads where he kicked around some ideas, you could readily glean which direction he went. In doing this venture, he did not do Klipsch any favors, but Klipsch corporate showed no indication of bringing the Jubilee to market, and readily discontinued production of the Cornwall(since restarted) and Belle.

Volti has been formally reviewed a couple times. Maybe you can find the info there, but posting a snarky thread is beneath you. If you disagree with him, just come out and say you disagree with his pricing, or that he is sourcing components that don't match, or that his lack of attention to physics is castrating the quality of his speakers. His lack of being forthcoming is the exact approach 80% of speaker builders would provide to any generic query. Even Volti has competition.

I'm not trying to beat you up too much. I have 1963 KHorns, and besides the stock Jensen P15LL woofers and stock tophat, I can also run JBL 2470 mids through Martinelli trachorns, JBL 2404 tweets thru babycheeks, with JBL LE85s and wide dispersion trachorns, and TAD TD 2001/Edgar salad bowl horns. Klipsch has totally missed the boat over the last twenty years, as DIYers have taken the KHorn performance level where Paul wanted, but the factory has not followed suit. The active presence of a DIY cottage industry for crossovers, various horns, and in VoltiAudio's case, complete integrated speakers, shows that nature abhors a vacuum.

Dave

And, shockingly, Art has answered your question in part. Some of the reviewers have not been of great service, but Art did at least a little homework.
    http://www.stereophile.com/node/226666

Quote Originally Posted by sheltiedave View Post
    Wagner, you questioned him and he correctly assessed that you meant his business little good, so he did not provide the information you wanted. There are few difficulties sourcing 1" compression tweeters, 2" compression mids, and 15" 4 ohm woofers that will exceed the design performance specs of the Klipsch guts.

TAD, BMS, PAudio, JBL, Beyma, Eminence, Radian, Truextant, etc are the usual suspects. I'm sure if you spent the money to attend one of the expositions where he displayed, you went to one of his owner client's home for an in-house, or you read the various Klipsch threads where he kicked around some ideas, you could readily glean which direction he went. In doing this venture, he did not do Klipsch any favors, but Klipsch corporate showed no indication of bringing the Jubilee to market, and readily discontinued production of the Cornwall(since restarted) and Belle.

Volti has been formally reviewed a couple times. Maybe you can find the info there, but posting a snarky thread is beneath you. If you disagree with him, just come out and say you disagree with his pricing, or that he is sourcing components that don't match, or that his lack of attention to physics is castrating the quality of his speakers. His lack of being forthcoming is the exact approach 80% of speaker builders would provide to any generic query. Even Volti has competition.

I'm not trying to beat you up too much. I have 1963 KHorns, and besides the stock Jensen P15LL woofers and stock tophat, I can also run JBL 2470 mids through Martinelli trachorns, JBL 2404 tweets thru babycheeks, with JBL LE85s and wide dispersion trachorns, and TAD TD 2001/Edgar salad bowl horns. Klipsch has totally missed the boat over the last twenty years, as DIYers have taken the KHorn performance level where Paul wanted, but the factory has not followed suit. The active presence of a DIY cottage industry for crossovers, various horns, and in VoltiAudio's case, complete integrated speakers, shows that nature abhors a vacuum.

Dave

Thank you for the detailed post, but I think you missed the essence of my disbelief and the basis for my question here.

Maybe I "over asked" my question of poor Greg.

I now wonder if I should have asked him what the country of origin was for his drivers rather than the manufacturer's name and model. Would he have gone into cardiac arrest? Problem is however, that would not have helped a bit with what I truly wanted to know which was system characteristics. I am not trying to "expose" Volti Audio, but he sure reacted like a guy that's got something to hide, or at least keep hush hush. That's certainly the vibe I got.
    My point was and still is, I cannot believe his response. As you have pointed out (and I) the answer could can and will be readily obtained with enough effort. I just personally don't think that's the way it should be, my opinion.

To display such reluctance up and until the information is widely known will not help his cause I fear. Greg claims to admire and be inspired very much by Paul Klipsch......well we all know the famous reaction Paul Klipsch would have to all of this secrecy nonsense! (remember his famous yellow badges! ) Used frequently for just such occasions as this.

I have written dozens of folks over the years with inquiries regarding county of origin and or manufacturer of goods. Everything from water faucets to audio equipment. ALL have always been willing to provide an answer. An example? Even Icon Audio will freely admit that their amplifiers are actually made in china although finished up in Britain.
    I am certain they do not relish having that discussion as a large portion of their marketing is tilted toward the made in the U.K. element, still, with integrity, they do (when asked directly).
    But I'm getting a little off track here..................

I fully understand and accept the concept too of building and selling audio jewelry. That is fine and is certainly Volti's or anyone else's right to do so. I don't have any issue with that. But most certainly some buyers are also interested in other aspects of any given design, not just the potential "heirloom" factor of the wooden box.

If I am going to buy an automobile for example, regardless of my motives or how impractical the overall eye candy design may be, I still also enjoy the right of knowing just exactly what is under the hood. Would you not agree?

I fail to see the "snark" in my inquiry (aside from despising that current catch phrase), either to Volti or in my thread here. Maybe the whole dialog wound me up a bit, but "snark"?

I also learned a long time ago that when one is engaged in the business of selling, selling anything, the greatest mistake you can make is to pre-judge or assume to know what is in the potential customer's pocket. Big mistake there!

My initial email to Volti was a very simple question and one which I do not find confrontational in the least; who's drivers do you use?

I did not press for specific model numbers or chastise him or press for a defense of his asking price initially. just a simple question.

Greg's claim that one of his concerns is that folks will copy his designs and claim them to be Volti is also absurd. How many do it yourselfers posses the degree of woodworking tools and skills to pull off the cabinets of the quality he's building? And if they did I don't think they'd be counterfeiting a relatively unknown cottage brand of loudspeaker which could be easily verified if fake. It's all rather silly to me and smacks of deception.

And just to remind, I did ask for the very reason I stated, matching! He doesn't even publish or provide the most rudimentary system specs, forget about the driver specifics! Then turns around and states he doesn't want to go the showroom route, is happy with internet sales only...........I mean how on Earth could one anticipate how this very expensive system might work in one's room?

Most manufacturers I have ever known, unless they build their own as is the case with a company such as pre-Mexican JBL are pleased to inform you of their choices, especially if those choices are of a premium, high quality variety.

So I stand in my bewilderment still.

If anyone owns a pair of these designs or actually knows what he's currently using please share (possibly already answered, if so thank you!).

And thank you for the link, I will read it now.

To quote a great man and friend, I hope accurately:
    "More data, less wank"

Quote Originally Posted by honkytonkwillie View Post
    Interesting. In your exchange with him he claims not to be much of a technician when it comes to designing and building speakers, and puts a small amount of importance on such things.

From that I gather he doesn't understnad very much about how speakers work. Solely putting trust in ones ears is a pretty dubious way to design speakers - especially when self-bias somes into play. "Trust my ears" is one of those claims that's impossible to verify or counter. The sooner it comes out in conversation, the less I believe the claimant understands and more I believe they're concealing a lack thereof.

("Trust my ears" is not always suspicious. Many interviews with designers I've read and watched talk about their process and what they were aiming for, the trade-offs, alternatives, and what-not. "Trust my ears" for them tends to come at the end of the process, perhaps choosing one capacitor over another in a crossover.)

He provides an off-the-shelf Marchand (a long time DIY vendor) amplifier for his subwoofer, so it wouldn't surprise me if the drivers are commonly available, DIY drivers as well. If everyone knew that, it'd be tough to maintain a $15k price tag on his systems. I mean really - if they were manufactured to his spec, I think he'd proudly say so. And he'd probably have some say in the quantities manufactured and some control their distribution; and not fear so much people copying his product.

Thank you x2

But regardless of what he's doing and why, I only asked him as to better understand the system!

What he uses or doesn't use is his business, but anyone selling speakers at this price point should not be so reluctant to share the technical particulars of the most basic elements of the system.

Any proprietary design elements, patents, secret Tibetan mountain tops where magic wire is made, whatever................fine, keep,it yourself. But the most basic of basics should not be a big secret, especially justified by some artistic aesthetic nonsense and the claimed fear of being the victim of theft.

All systems were voiced by ear with the help of a slide rule for decades, there's nothing new or special there, or necessarily wrong for that matter if it makes you happy. And as I have mentioned, the number of folks willing to invest the time, expense in material and tools, buy the parts and are in the possession of the woodworking skills and the work space with which to commit this larceny, not to mention the time?..........well, you see my point. I have a strong feeling that those folks could probably afford to just buy Greg's creations and be done with it.

I find the whole thing absurd.

His reasons given for not answering my question are spurious and just do not ring true.

And again for the new agers, my OPINION

I have interacted with Greg a few times and found him to always be a gentlemen and a very good cabinetmaker. I am certain if he viewed you as a potential customer he would have afforded you more details.

Incidentally Eminence built most of the drivers used classic Klipsch products that inspire Greg. Part of Paul's magic was his ability to extract good sounds from inexpensive parts. In my observation Greg tends to use more expensive off the shelf drivers built for the pro market.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Huff View Post
    I have interacted with Greg a few times and found him to always be a gentlemen and a very good cabinetmaker. I am certain if he viewed you as a potential customer he would have afforded you more details.

Incidentally Eminence built most of the drivers used classic Klipsch products that inspire Greg. Part of Paul's magic was his ability to extract good sounds from inexpensive parts. In my observation Greg tends to use more expensive off the shelf drivers built for the pro market.

I posted my initial contact email with Greg Roberts. If he was able to discern whether I was a potential customer or not from that then he's in the wrong business.

As for your statement regarding Eminence, Klipsch and the word "most", well it is just not true
    Not even close. The "most" part that is. Was spread out over several vendors and often more than a few at the same time. "Most" woofers for a while, maybe.

Read this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Wilbur-Kl.../dp/1582442266

I have acknowledged his fine cabinetry work several times already although his tastes in veneer are, let us just say a bit over the top and quite busy!

Maron Horonzakz
    Let me set the record straight,,,I knew Paul klipsch very well.... He never made any of his drivers,,, only the speaker cabinets,,,,JBL also sourced other manufactured speaker drivers...so I don't understand the beef,,,

Volti Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    Hello,
    I just recently wrote this fellow, Greg Roberts and asked him a few simple questions regarding his driver selections and specs of his systems as it would pertain to planning good amplification matching.

His response let us say was a bit less than forthcoming.
    I first heard of this guy because of the restoration work, fancy cabinets, veneer jobs and box modifications which he was doing for and on Klipsch products. Seemed interesting and his work looked good as far as I could tell from photographs.

I initially was going to discuss some custom work on a pair of JBL boxes with the man.

Now it would appear he is no longer doing that as his loudspeakers have become quite trendy in certain circles and he appears and claims to be doing well enough to require devoting all of his time and efforts to that endeavor. More power to him and congratulations.

Still, it bothers me that any speaker manufacturer would be reluctant to at least provide the most basic of technical details regarding his systems. And as much as the quality of his wood work he really really really sells the fact that his systems are 100% Made in U.S.A. so that claim really piqued my curiosity as to who's drivers he was using or was this guy by wild ass chance actually building his own here in the U.S.A.!? At his asking prices I thought it might be possible, maybe.

I also pointed out that I consider this essential information also as to the what when and how to obtain service parts if he were NOT to survive forever (like diaphragms and the like)

Could anyone here shed any light on these designs?

His main emphasis on his website is the high quality of fit and finish, his heirloom quality boxes and the fact that he makes certain every piece of grille cloth is attched perfectly square.

I will be the first to admit that I too apprecaiate those things but I'd be even more interested in what's actually inside the boxes.

It's not as if one could not be opened and the big secret revealed.

My email to Greg Roberts:

Hello,
    Please tell me if your would; what "brand" of transducers do you employ in your beautiful designs?
    Please advise.
    Thank you for your time and consideration

His reply:

Hi,
    I'm sorry but I don't disclose what brand or model of drivers I use. I cantell you that the tweeter uses a 1" compression driver, the mid a 2" outletcompression driver with a 3.5" diaphragm, and the woofer is a high-power,pro-audio 15" driver. Why do you ask?
    Regards,Greg Roberts
    www.voltiaudio.com

My response:

Hello Greg Roberts,
    Well, I am sorry to hear that but not surprised.
    As you are unwilling to reveal your "proprietary" off the shelf selections (I suspect) when it comes to driver selections then what does it matter "why" I ask.
    But suffice it to say, in my opinion, anyone (purchaser) serious and knowledgeable in system matching and amplifier building and modifications (tubes) would certainly find this information useful.
    I certainly hope you can understand that. Many of your boxes have been "opened up" and commented upon at various (many) "places" on the internet. I take much of this sort of palaver with a pound of salt.
    I simply wanted to confirm, from the "horses mouth" as it were, the accuracy and the facts, rather than deal in second hand information and speculation. I could also find no technical data sheets on your web site, only glowing hyperbole and "glamour" shots. It may all very well be true, and well deserved (I have read nothing to cast doubt) BUT it is a brand of information of little use to an amp builder.
    And again, when you ask me "why do I ask" I almost feel as if you are pulling my leg.
    My age and current health prohibit me from a whole lot of system building at this point in Life; I found yours intriguing and their obvious beauty and attention to detail (fit and finish) make in them a viable candidate for me as I too find that element of system building important.
    But there is more to it than perfectly attached grille cloth or exotic veneers (as you well know) and though nice, very nice indeed, I am still at a point in my audio endeavors to need a bit more information than that.
    Sorry to hear you are unwilling or unable to help. I will learn what I seek from other sources.
    I also find it difficult to be sitting here even justifying my most reasonable and practical inquiry!
    Here's wishing you and your business well!
    Thank you for your time and consideration.

Greg's response:

Hi,
    I'm sorry you're having such difficulty with my decision to keep thisinformation private. I have my reasons. It does matter why anyone asks me about the drivers. Many people wish tobuild their own speakers, and would like to use the same drivers that I amusing and then claim they have made a Volti speaker. That's obviously notsomething I have any control over. But I do have control over whatinformation I choose to give out about my speakers. Regarding the technical specifications of my speakers, or the technicalspecs on the drivers for that matter, I am the first to admit that I am notmuch of a technician when it comes to designing and building speakers. Ionly put a small amount of importance on such things. I am more of anartist, and I use my ears to judge what I hear, and I take action based onwhat I hear. I fully understand that for some people that is not how theywish to buy audio products. There are those who focus on the technicalspecifications, and that's fine. They simply are not my customers, and Iaccept that. People buy audio equipment for many different reasons, and they usedifferent criteria for determining what they wish to own. Volti Audio hastheir customers and YG Acoustics, Raidho, JBL, etc... all have theircustomers. It's all good.
    Regards, Greg Roberts
    www.voltiaudio.com

Is this guy just full of shit or is it me?
    There were a few more exchanges but I'll spare you the rest.
    Suffice it to say it got a little "testy".
    Speakers he's asking over $15K for and he won't tell me what's in them?
    Kind of blows my mind. But what do I know?
    I reminded him of long gone trendy builders of audio like Audio Alchemy, California Audio etc.........didn't seem to phase him (my, and I would think anyone's, concern with future parts and or service needs.)
    What the heck's up with this guy. But most importantly, can anyone please shed any light on what he's running in these boxes?
    Just new and improved variations on Klipsch designs? I'd love to know.

Thank you!
    I Have just discovered Volti horns as well, and I fell in love with what I saw. I was watching them and him promote same on Youtube, and it seemed ridiculous using horns and his hands to show how sound works. Unprofessional for someone flogging $20K loudspeakers. As I looked at the website, I noticed nothing related to real specs or components. I was seriously considering putting away some cash to buy them, but after this I will not bother. This bloke could be out of business in a year and I have NOWHERE to go for parts or service! It's a shame he's not sold himself and his company as a serious player, the speakers are gorgeous. I happened to find another maker, DC10 Audio, they make great horn speakers and indeed one model- the Berlin Reference that comes with a JBL Alnico NOS driver from around 1979!!! They sound great.

I am not affiliated with volti in any way - I just read the guys posts here and heard/saw them at an audio show a few years back.

I have to ask - have you actually HEARD or seen a pair of them live and in person?

Not via youtube or some web video, but in the same room as you are in?

It just seems like that should be the real test of the speaker's quality ...

He was quite personable when I met him - he had an upper horn open and I could see the parts inside it -
    it looked well made and it didn't seem like he was hiding anything to the folks at the show.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieSteve View Post
    I Have just discovered Volti horns as well, and I fell in love with what I saw.
    I was watching them and him promote same on Youtube, and it seemed ridiculous using horns and his hands
    to show how sound works. Unprofessional for someone flogging $20K loudspeakers.
    As I looked at the website, I noticed nothing related to real specs or components.
    I was seriously considering putting away some cash to buy them, but after this I will not bother.
    This bloke could be out of business in a year and I have NOWHERE to go for parts or service!
    It's a shame he's not sold himself and his company as a serious player, the speakers are gorgeous.
    I happened to find another maker, DC10 Audio, they make great horn speakers and indeed one model- the Berlin Reference that comes with a JBL Alnico NOS driver from around 1979!!! They sound great.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Sorry to hear Gregg was so standoffish. He started on the klipsch forums as a diyer and did veneer work on the side. From there he was helped by a few people to design a tractrix horn for a 2inch compression driver that could replace the stock k400 in the klipsch reference series. ALK engineering helped him with his crossover design. All his designs are based on upgraded klipsch heritage speakers. I owned a pair of his tractrix horns and his fit and finish are top quality. He never provided any measurements so I did it myself as I have all the equipment. He was always nice to deal. As far as drives last I new he was using a BMS 4592 for the mid and a eminence woofer similar to crites CW. He needs to invest in some measurement gear especially with building his own $15000 speakers.

Thread Information