Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Remember, there is no substitute for a big-ass 4-way speaker!" -- Does this qualify?

"Remember, there is no substitute for a big-ass 4-way speaker!" -- Does this qualify?

In one of my first threads in this fine forum, one of the more respected members of this congregation, recited the above referenced quotation.

My L300s are nice, as well as my newly acquired 4430s. But, this JBL affliction is horrific!

And, the nagging voice in the back of my my head kept repeating, "You really need that big-ass 4-way!"

Well ........... I made an offer, and they took it.

Surely, this must qualify me as a member of the elite 'Big-ass 4-way Speaker Fellowship', as well as a shoe-in for some sort of recognition in the 'JBL Looney Tunes Register'.

Introducing, 'The Speakers!': http://www.ebay.com/itm/251519449203...84.m1497.l2649

I'm gonna try to convince the bride of 38 years that this monster followed me home from the grocery store. And, "Can I keep him?"

Wish me "Luck," please. I'm gonna really need it when this piece of freight is delivered. Wife >>>

Greg

PS -- Yes, I can guess the first response: "There is also no substitute for 'class'!" But, I think I can make it look OK -- if my 'miseries' don't get me first!

My goodness, yes, this is a perfect starter piece for a collection of Big Ass JBL 4-way speakers!

Good luck, and enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by cgregory4 View Post
    In one of my first threads in this fine forum, one of the more respected members of this congregation, recited the above referenced quotation.

My L300s are nice, as well as my newly acquired 4430s. But, this JBL affliction is horrific!

And, the nagging voice in the back of my my head kept repeating, "You really need that big-ass 4-way!"

Well ........... I made an offer, and they took it.

Surely, this must qualify me as a member of the elite 'Big-ass 4-way Speaker Fellowship', as well as a shoe-in for some sort of recognition in the 'JBL Looney Tunes Register'.

Introducing, 'The Speakers!': http://www.ebay.com/itm/251519449203...84.m1497.l2649

I'm gonna try to convince the bride of 38 years that this monster followed me home from the grocery store. And, "Can I keep him?"

Wish me "Luck," please. I'm gonna really need it when this piece of freight is delivered. Wife >>>

Greg

PS -- Yes, I can guess the first response: "There is also no substitute for 'class'!" But, I think I can make it look OK -- if my 'miseries' don't get me first!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

What will you be powering the little fellows with?

Lots of watts!

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph Don View Post
    What will you be powering the little fellows with?
    Don,

I have plenty of amplifier firepower. I would like to find the original Clair electronic crossover (?) plus used cables with the pin connectors. At least I think that would be a good first test. What do you suggest?

Greg

Any idea what kind of horn being used for MF?

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    Any idea what kind of horn being used for MF?

I guess the 2441.

Hehehe, this is nothing short of amazing, congratulations.

Looking forward to read your impressions if you're still alive after your wife sees what you've done.

It's a matter of timing!

Quote Originally Posted by DingDing View Post
    Hehehe, this is nothing short of amazing, congratulations.

Looking forward to read your impressions if you're still alive after your wife sees what you've done.
    I sorta have a dilemma there, DingDing. The seller wants to ship immediately, to keep his warehouse hands busy. But, it would be better for me if the truck driver stopped for a pool tournament/wet t-shirt contest somewhere along the way. Then the speakers would arrive after she travels to Greece with the 'Wicked Witch of the ....' uh ....... errr .... I mean, the mother-in-law.

She leaves the 10th. I don't know if I can delay the delivery until after that date. There would certainly be less 'shock effect' -- at least initially -- if I could manage that.

Greg

But how do they sound?

I started going to rock concerts in 1967, when I was 15. Since then I have seen literally hundreds of live shows using all manner of sound systems: early line columns incorporating a half-dozen 12" guitar speakers, big piles of similar-looking but different-sized mystery boxes (like the WEM system used by The Who when I saw them in 1970) and smaller piles of Altec 210 and/or 828 woofers accompanied by a few 1005 and 203 multicells. Most of them were loud (a notable exception being the Altec-type system employed at Cream's 1968 farewell show at The Forum -- the night they recorded the live tracks for "Goodbye" -- when after the first song the audience yelled as one: "TURN IT UP!!!"), but none of them sounded even remotely like a good hi-fi system, only louder.

UNTIL... I saw Emerson, Lake & Palmer's "Works" tour in 1977 at the St. Paul Civic Arena. (They hadn't yet jettisoned the orchestra and choir -- what a truly amazing concert that was.) Hanging from the ceiling on either side of the stage were between 20 and 30 large, square speakers, each about 4 feet by 4 feet, in arrays that were splayed so they covered the entire audience. The sound was SO much better than at any other show I had ever seen: absolute clarity of each instrument, tonal neutrality (Emerson's piano actually sounded like a real 12-foot Steinway, not a spinet being played in a bathroom), realistic dynamics, deep and solid bass without boominess, sparkling highs without glare or sibilance -- the holy grail of "a good hi-fi, only louder" had finally been achieved.

I found out later that the system was the Clair S4.

Congratulations on your purchase; I hope you get the chance to crank 'em up outdoors once in a while.

I sorta have a dilemma there, DingDing. The seller wants to ship immediately, to keep his warehouse hands busy. But, it would be better for me if the truck driver stopped for a pool tournament/wet t-shirt contest somewhere along the way. Then the speakers would arrive after she travels to Greece with the 'Wicked Witch of the ....' uh ....... errr .... I mean, the mother-in-law.

She leaves the 10th. I don't know if I can delay the delivery until after that date. There would certainly be less 'shock effect' -- at least initially -- if I could manage that.

Greg

May (insert your favorite deity) have mercy on your soul. You're doomed either way.
    Out.

Wow you are one brave man. I saw those for sale on ebay and wondered where they'd wind up... I've bought a lot of stuff from these guys and they are great. Brian is the owner. If you have any trouble call and ask for him or his daughter, Brittany. They are very good at describing things accurately. I'm sure you'll be happy with their condition.

Congrats!

I guess the 2441.
    The original S4's used either a 2440 or 2441 on a 2343 horn. 3 way active at 200 and 1200 with passive at 7000. Not sure what ther newer horns were.

Allan.

I guess the 2441.
    I meant the horn, not the driver (according to specs the driver are 2441)

Horns

I've got a pair of those fiberglass horns. There was a seller selling them for like 30$ a piece and couldn't resist giving them a try. Not a bad horn at all.

Al

My mistake, baldrick.

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    I meant the horn, not the driver (according to specs the driver are 2441)
    From their posts, it appears both Al and Allan know more about the horn than I do.

I do have several to try, if I don't like the stock. I suppose that aspect of the 'project' is what intrigues me so much -- the possibilities appear to be 'X - as X >>>>>> infinity'.

Greg

Thread Information