Thread: Altec Lansing 846B valencia value worth?

Altec Lansing 846B valencia value worth?

Hey im trying to sell some altec valencias for my father and ive been trying to find an idea on what theyre worth but it hasnt been easy. I heard there could be more value in selling the horns and speakers separately, but I cant find too much information on this either. i do have the grills but they are in poor condition. the cabs have some wear but the speakers and horns are fine
    also, what is the difference between the 846Bs and As?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

ou.

Those old things ... gah!!

They are worth whatever someone on Craigslist, Ebay or where-ever is willing to pay for them, and not a dollar more!

Best bet is to do some google searches on ebay or something similar
    and see what the last pair someone ponied up brought in ...

Quote Originally Posted by Float_on View Post
    Hey im trying to sell some altec valencias for my father and i've been trying to find an idea on what theyre worth but it hasnt been easy. I heard there could be more value in selling the horns and speakers separately, but I cant find too much information on this either. i do have the grills but they are in poor condition. the cabs have some wear but the speakers and horns are fine

ou.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Lol...

Besides the lattice vs foam grilles, the ports are round on the B's and
    are on either side of the horn on the A's (hole for horn is over sized).

Google images is your friend.

These went for some funny money for awhile... no idea if that has settled down.

As already stated, look up sales on ebay for a free appraisal.

Good luck with your sale. They're fun and can be improved if so inclined,
    but nostalgia and mystique will win the sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Float_on View Post
    Hey im trying to sell some altec valencias for my father and ive been trying to find an idea on what theyre worth but it hasnt been easy. I heard there could be more value in selling the horns and speakers separately, but I cant find too much information on this either. i do have the grills but they are in poor condition. the cabs have some wear but the speakers and horns are fine

ou.

You could always post them at the Altec boards Free Marketplace.They were selling for good money not too long ago.Soooooo... Roll the dice !

http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f700...rketplace.html
    "James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    You could always post them at the Altec boards Free Marketplace.They were selling for good money not too long ago.Soooooo... Roll the dice !

http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f700...rketplace.html
    I have never been able to log on to that site for some reason.

If I can add a little to this thread.. I have toyed around with a pair of Altec Valencia A's in the past. What I will share are only my opinions.

The Valencia A with it's 16 ohm speakers have a better speaker compliment than the Valencia B with it's 8 ohm versions.. The cabinet design on the B is an improvement of the A cabinet.. It's Bass ports make up for a bit that is lacking in the A cabinet design.

I rebuilt my crossovers by building a new pair to spec mounted on acrylic sheets. On most vintage speakers and amps I almost always change out the old capacitors.. (I know there are those that would have me shot for doing so, but sorry I don't trust a 50+ year old capacitor in anything). I ordered all top quality components from a parts supplier including replacing the attenuators with L-Pads from PE. This was the first step in improving my Valencia's.. the next step was to order a new pair of HF drivers from GPA as I feel the top end on the stock Val's to be lacking, this was a major improvement. The big problem with the Vals in my opinion is that the cabinet design and size did not allow the bass speakers to truly flex their muscles.

Remember these are VOTT speakers (Voice of the THEATER) and as such were inherently designed and used to be optimal in reproducing movie soundtracks in their day. Altec packaged these commercial speakers in a cabinet slapped together for the audio market in what seems to be an after thought..

During my time of owning these I used them for both music and at the time 16mm film that I was collecting.. For film I don't think there is a better arrangement. The horns reproduced vocal tracks to perfection.. clear and crisp, easy to understand and room filling to boot. The Vals handled the freq response of a movie sound track with perfection.. (mind these were mostly pre 1960 movies). For music they were also very good.. that Altec magic is apparent. They just fall a bit flat on modern music with a heavy bass line. The stock cabinets will not allow them to reach down as far as they can go. One last thought I have about the Valencia's.. as I said these are basically commercial speakers designed for a commercial venue crammed into small cabinets for the home enthusiast. I believe these speakers are best in a larger area.. not for a small listening room. They need so elbow room..

Lastly at the time (about 5 years ago) I sold mine with the mods I made for $1000 dollars. The buyer seems he would have been happier with the original HF drivers which I sold separately.Name:  Crossovers.jpg
Views: 7877
Size:  73.6 KB

Thread Information