Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JBL 123A Voice Coil Rub

here's the flipside of the x-over. The model number was hidden between it and the rear baffle it was attached to
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mechanical solutions to this mechanical voice rub

So, the voice coil is rubbing.
    So, you have a mechanical rub? so it will be a mechanical problem and solution so I wouldn't worry about the cross over network.
    The post on the foam deterioration is spot on and the probable cause of your woes. Ihave the 2213h and it suffers this same problem.
    Take the speakers out and remove the metal plate with the serial number and wire mesh on the back of the magnet, get a torch and have a look into the hole.
    If you can see foam it has not deteriorated....yet, so remove it before it does! (use your finger and a vacum cleaner)
    If you can see the back of your dustcap.....it's too late! and you have your answer.

You can fix this problem by removing the dustcap and cleaning between the voicecoil and magnet. I think the easiest way to do this would be to just pour in isopropyl alchohol whilst moving the cone up and down, this should dissolve the deteriorated foam restoring the gap to normal operation. The Isopropyl Alcohol will evaporate and should cause no damage if you are careful not spill any on the cone itself as it will soften other adhesives, so you would need to be quick, don't want to soak, just a quick rinse.
    The more brutal method, if you don't want to remove the dustcap, would be to cook the speaker, literally put it on an electric hob and gently heat the basket of the speaker through the magnet up to the point where the deteriorated foam will melt, this will be at a lower tempreture than the other adhesives used in the construction of the speaker would melt or burn, but you have to be really, really careful, heat it up too much and your driver will be ruined.

If you own these speakers then you need to get that foam out before it kills your speakers, should be a massive sticky on this which lists all the affected divers. Assertive, preventative action now will mean you can enjoy these woofers for years to come.

I've just checked my other 2213h driver, which just arrived today, and have discovered it has this problem, so I shall be working to remedy this today.

Thank you for the thoughtful and informative post, kippers. I have a beat-up 2213 that's in need of re-coning so I will practice on it first.

Heating the speaker seems to be a last resort solution, I would be worried that the foam would gum up. Have you tried that method?

Well the problem is that the foam is already gumming up through deterioration, it becomes gummy and weak, falls away from the adhesive originally holding it on, it breaks up and bits get stuck between the VC and Mag. What is left of it will harden eventually but until then it is rubbing and gumming up the voice coil gap. Heating it up speeds this deterioration up and flattens the gummy residue out restoring the gap, I have my 2213h on the hob (number 2 setting) as we speak in order to remove the metal badge and get a better look. You can't use a hot air gun or hairdryer to soften the glue holding on the badge as you would just be blowing everything into the voicecoil magnet gap. So just heating it up enough to get the badge off and then I'll get the vacum and my finger into it and see if that is enough to fix it. Heating it up to get the badge off might in itself be enough to cure it, but when it cools I'm still going to use an artist brush my finger and the vacum on it to be sure nothing else gets in there. When it's all done I'll get a new bit of foam and insert it and stick the badge back on, good as new!
    If anyone is mad enough to use my methods you need to remove eveything that could melt or destort, on the 2213h there is a rubber ring around the magnet (easy to take off and on) and the terminal posts as they use plastic washers to isolate from the speaker basket. I'v had on number 2 setting on my hob for 15 mins and hot enough to take the badge off and you can still use your hands to hold the speaker at it's outer edges, but the magnet will be hot where the badge is.
    Been doing this as I've been writing this reply and glad to say that most of the foam came out in one piece with the vacum, still a bit hot to get me finger in to rub the edges and get it all out but 20 mins we should be good.

Only applies to 2213h

Hmmm, just had a look at pictures of your drivers and they are totally different from the 2213h, so problay my info is for another thread. Your drivers have alinco magnets, so wouldn't recommend heating them up. Looks like the magnet cover or possibly magnet itself is held in place with 4 screw head bolts?
    Not sure if your drivers ever had foam inserts, none in the pictures I'm looking at.

Thanks for the update. I'll take a look at my drivers over the weekend.

Thread Information