Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Altec Lansing Model 19 vs. JBL L300 Summit

Altec Lansing Model 19 vs. JBL L300 Summit

I would be interested to know from those who have experience listening to both of these fine speakers what their sonic differences are. I assume both are very dynamic, wide-ranging and efficient. I am especially interested in sonic detail, smoothness and lack of harshness and honk that sometimes accompanies horn speakers.

Thanks,

George Roland

IMO the 19 has a more dynamic sound and better clarity. To me the 300 sounds constricted and closed in in comparison. I also think the 19 has cleaner bass.

About 4 years ago I had the chance to buy a pair of pristine L-300s for $800 from a pal and I took a pass, I didn't want them.

Altec 19 = movie threatre sound in your home.
    JBL L300 = recording studio sound in your home.

Should have both systems in your crib. IMO.

Could you check..........

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    IMO the 19 has a more dynamic sound and better clarity. To me the 300 sounds constricted and closed in in comparison. I also think the 19 has cleaner bass.

About 4 years ago I had the chance to buy a pair of pristine L-300s for $800 from a pal and I took a pass, I didn't want them.

and see if they are still available?. I could go higher.
    Last edited by JBLRaiser; 06-04-2009 at 04:20 AM. Reason: addendum

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post

Thanks, Tom. This is very helpful. There have been several pairs of L300s for sale online recently, but the sellers all want around $3,500-3,600.00 for them. That seems very high to me, and no one seems to be bidding on them at those prices. Model 19s in real good shape are selling for half that or less. Curious.

Hope you're enjoying those MLs. Nice looking setup!

Best,

George

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Altec 19 = movie threatre sound in your home.
    JBL L300 = recording studio sound in your home.

Should have both systems in your crib. IMO.

Hi John,

Would you elaborate a bit on this characterization? When you say "movie theater" or "recording studio," sound what specific sonic qualities does that translate into in a home audio system?

Thanks for your reply,

George

You could not easily come up with two designs that sound more different from each other, but both are over hyped.

The Model 19 is very, very picky about amplification. To those listeners like me, who get listener fatigue easily from harsh mids & highs, only a few particular tube amps will do.

Neither is the pinnacle of a line of development. The 19's, while the largest of their line, are still much downsized from the theater speakers that endeared the design to listeners. Are they too small to deliver the real experience? Probably.

The 300's are an early design in a line of large studio monitors, modified slightly for projection of sound to a seated listener instead of soffet mounting, and cosmetically "enhanced" for home use. They are basically 4333's (the studio "Professional" model). That line went on to greater things but the consumer offering, the 300, never evolved. All of its shortcomings remain. It was not the "Summit" for long.

My personal opinion, not a popular one, is that 300's are way overpriced today (like Paragons) for the quality of sound they offer; and the Nineteens have a following largely with those who either have not heard it done better or don't know the difference, since most are being driven by amps that make them sound incredibly harsh and owners still love the what they hear.

They are both nice designs but are more handsome than great sounding. Most people who like one do not like the other at all, and there are plenty of both types of owners. And all the owners think their choice sounds fabulous, so there are forces more cultural than sonic at work here. Without listening to both, you might not know what type of listener you are. Both are good speakers but not great. The Nineteens are less costly but do not have nearly as much engineering in them. I would buy neither, so I am no help!

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by George Roland View Post

Hope you're enjoying those MLs. Nice looking setup!

Best,

George

The other day a fella I met at Audio Karma came over, when he asked my wife which she liked better, the MLs or the 19s we used to own she immediately answered "The 19s!".

But the MLs are suitable for high-rise living, while not as robust and dynamic as the 19s they do have superb clarity; superb clarity goes a long way. And not a hint of harshness, what I call "earwire". Big image too, depending on the recording the horizontal image "source" can extend far past the speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by George Roland View Post
    I would be interested to know from those who have experience listening to both of these fine speakers what their sonic differences are.
    While I do not think Tom's description is entirely off base, another way of stating the comparison would be, the L300s have actual deep bass that is lacking in the Model 19, and a significantly extended top end over the Model 19... and while Tom and many other fan's of the Model 19 hear the midrange as clear, I think those who do not favor it's sound hear the mids as a bit shouty and in your face.

I have heard both speakers sound compelling and god awful, electronics, room, room placement, and source material can all have a huge effect on both of these speakers.

Widget

My take on the comparison

L300 - More robust sounding

M19 - More efficient with more dynamics, lacks bottom end in comparison!

Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Altec Model 19 = much higher sensativity and dynamic range.

L300 = some what flatter frequency response and a tad more extended bass

The Altecs will trully get LOUD with a 75 WPC amplifier; JBLs do not get loud - even with 200 or more WPC.

I would use only SS amps with both.

For pure listening pleasure, I prefer the Altec.

Obviously, this cite is really a JBL cite and not an Altec one - so I would expect many here to moan and complain about Altec and shower great praise on the L300.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    To those listeners like me, who get listener fatigue easily from harsh mids & highs, only a few particular tube amps will do.
    The 300's are basically 4333's (the studio "Professional" model). That line went on to greater things but the consumer offering, the 300, never evolved. All of its shortcomings remain.Clark
    Thanks for this information. I am using Audio Research VT 100s with my Model 19s and they seem pretty smooth. Are there smoother tube power amps you'd recommend?

To what did the L300s evolve? Were their both studio monitors and "domesticated" speakers that bettered them, and what models might those be?

Thanks for your response,

George

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    The Altecs will trully get LOUD with a 75 WPC amplifier; JBLs do not get loud - even with 200 or more WPC.
    JBL L300s/4333s "do not get loud"? Are you serious?

je

"Neither is the pinnacle of a line of development. The 19's, while the largest of their line, are still much downsized from the theater speakers that endeared the design to listeners. Are they too small to deliver the real experience? Probably." quote from Ducatista

Well Ducatista I think the 19s are pretty much the pinnacle of Altec's line of development. There was a later monitor with a seperate tweeter and a lens-horn on the midrange but as far as I know the speaker was never released as a serious product.

19s deliver the theater experience just fine in a home. I had various A5s, A7s, A7-500s (and some JBL theater speakers too) and in a home setting the 19s do the job fine and pass the Ben Hur test with flying colors. Note that the 19 uses the same woofer, compression driver and horn as the A7, the A7 differs mainly in being horn loaded between about 150Hz and the crossover and in being several db more sensitive, no big deal. And the A7 doesn't go as deep.

hello!

interesting thread, i never thought much about the altec 19, but now im interested (a little).
    To what did the L300s evolve? Were their both studio monitors and "domesticated" speakers that bettered them, and what models might those be?
    i think that the studio four-ways ala 4345 where meant here, and that on the other side the home two-ways like the k2 9500+7500 are "probably" better too. but the four-ways are bigger than the L3oo/4333, so no fair match. maybe the 4430 is a closer related speaker to them.
    i wont compare any of this speakers here, since i never really heard any (but i would sure like to, very much).

cheers,
    mikey

Thread Information