My second pair of JBLs were 4425s. I am still amazed by their sound. BUT, someone on the forum commented to me a couple years ago, "Wait 'til you hear the 4430s!"

Well, 4430s aren't common in the deserts of west Texas. In fact, I'm convinced that if California does slide into the Pacific, 90% of the desirable JBLs on the planet will be under water. I had to drive my pickup to Burbank to get my L300s. The Paragons I want are in LA.

However, a pleasant surprise: Some 4430s were offered for sale in the Dallas area. I made a day-trip, and returned with one in the back seat of my diesel crewcab, and one covered with a tarp in the truck bed.

Yes, the initial LH forum comment was 'spot on': The 4430s sound awesome. They need work, but I'm slowly getting it done -- finish, refoam, etc.

My questions:

1. The 4430s will reside on the top of 36" tall cabinets on either side of the room. Does it make sense to place them upside-down, so that the baby-cheeks are closer to the listener ear level?

2. My amps in this particular room are Classe and Accuphase. None of them is rated at less than 200 watts at 8 ohms per channel with low distortion at full loads. Each of them will double that output at 4 ohms -- in other words. well-designed, high-current amps. However, the 4430s have provision for bi-amp mode, which my L300s do not have. I have plenty of amplifiers, so that is not a problem. The problem is my ignorance about the benefits of bi-amping, in general, and on this model 4430, in particular. Will you explain to me the benefits that might come from bi-amping the 4430s? I am assuming this is a question with some subtleties involved, about which I am clueless.

Thank you,

Greg