Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the problem with this 2235h driver [video]?

What is the problem with this 2235h driver [video]?

Hi,
    I bought this 2235h driver knowing it might need a recone job, and I want to troubleshoot and try to fix it myself in hopes of learning something new. If it all goes belly up, it'll be reconed by a professional.

Made this video in hopes you guys could help me pin down if it has to be reconed or if I might be able to fix it myself. I think it sounds like the voice coil is rubbing, but having no experience with driver repairs I'm not sure. In the video I'm running a couple of sine wave test tones to induce the distorting sound. Please turn the volume up a bit, and the audio doesn't start right away, so be a little patient, please.

What do you guys think? Is the cone misaligned? Do you want me to make videos from other angles? If the cone is misaligned, I thought about getting new foam surround, dustcap and spider and try to realign it using a shim. Do you guys think that would be feasible?

Also, looking at the pictures, do you think this looks like a genuine 2235h cone? It doesn't have any white chalk markings at the rear of the cone.

Name:  IMAG0819.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  52.0 KBName:  IMAG0820.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  53.2 KBName:  IMAG0821.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  42.2 KBName:  IMAG0822.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  41.4 KBName:  IMAG0823.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  53.4 KB

I can't determine it. Someone else may have a keener eye and more experience.

If the cone is original, it probably has been refoamed (replaced surrounds) not reconed
    with a JBL kit. Those mounting gaskets scream aftermarket.

Gaskets are wrong for sure. Check to see if the spider is glued on properly , coil rub is more scratchy sounding. It would be better if you could run that at a lower frequency and not film it from the edge of the frame but straight on to the cone instead.

Try running it at 25 and 30 Hz.

A pic of the back of the cone would be handy.

M

grumpy: Thanks, I checked the mounting gaskets against my four other 2235h, and you're right they don't look anything like the originals. The spider looks to be very dirty (fine black dust), and when I placed my finger inside the pole vent in a 90 degree angle there was a lot of dirt buildup around the gap, so it has probably just been refoamed and something has gone wrong when aligning. Hopefully it'll be possible to realign.

Any ideas where I can get what I need to realign the cone? Hope the VC has only been misaligned and not bent into an oval shape. The basket looks to be round by my crude measurements.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Gaskets are wrong for sure. Check to see if the spider is glued on properly , coil rub is more scratchy sounding. It would be better if you could run that at a lower frequency and not film it from the edge of the frame but straight on to the cone instead.

Try running it at 25 and 30 Hz.

A pic of the back of the cone would be handy.

M
    Hi, thanks. Yes I'll do that right now.

This took a little longer because it was hard to get proper lighting now that the Sun has gone down. Youtube also did no service to me by spending a ton of time compressing. I tried different frequencies, and as I was recording at 24 fps different frequencies gave different perceived slow motion effects. The distorting sound is evident throughout the frequencies tested and it seems to be following the frequency played, but doesn't get worse with higher excursion it seems. My unexperienced eyes can't see anything loose. I also did a lot of looking besides making these videos.

I'm turning it around etc late in the video above.

I hope these are of any help, and I've got no problem making new videos from other perspectives. The videos will live long after the problem is solved for anyone else who might run across the same issue in the future.

Here are some images. There is no white writing or marks on the rear of the cone itself.

Name:  IMAG0824.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  62.5 KBName:  IMAG0825.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  53.1 KBName:  IMAG0826.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  58.0 KBName:  IMAG0827.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  48.5 KBName:  IMAG0828.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  48.0 KB

I think it's one of those shitty China recones! I had a pair once, they only had a small production code in white stamped on the cone but otherwise they lacked the JBL service sticker and neither had the "2235H" marking done with chalk/white marker.
    Also they even lacked the mass ring and sounded totally rubbish. The foam suspension was waaay too stiff and one of them was making popping noises due to poor soldering of the VC wires.

When I look at the VC wires next to the dustcap, they look like soldered and laquered by hand, with genuine JBL kit that part is already assembled.
    I'm almost sure you also have that knockoff recone, take a look at the fakes (especially the VC wires)
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-_...o/IMG_1477.JPG

My feeling is it is not coil rub but as you mentionthere seems to be residue in the coil area , could be disintegrated foam that found its way in through the vent or alternatively wasn't there a foam ' filter' plug in the vent. Just checked with mine , same driver and indeed therewas a foam filter on the face of the pole piece. Mine is now dust also but the drivers are not making any funny noises.
    The solurion maybe is to put the driver face down and play it with your tone for a while and see if gravity helps this stuff to dislodge. It will fall into the back of the dust capand thenyou can vacuum it out through the vent.
    Have you tried manually moving the cone and trying to hear any sounds of scraping ?.

I had that issue with 2214H's, not the easiest task to remove all that goo from the woofer but I was lucky.

Though if it turns out to be a bogus recone I wouldn't even bother, just rip it apart and put a nice fresh JBL 2235H cone in it.

Note to self : Get the hoover out and get that c**p out of my woofers.

Thanks to all of you for the advice and insights.

If it turns out to be a knockoff I still want to try to fix it for the learning process, but even if it's fixed the cone will be ripped and replaced with a genuine one. Will look for small markings on the rear, but haven't seen any. I thought it was weird that the spider was so dirty, it looks like it has been a long time since the cone went in, but the surround seems so fresh. Also, all my other 2235h cones have white markings on the rear.

What I'm going to do is to first check the foam surround like SEAWOLF97 says. If that doesn't work I'll lay it upside down playing a low frequency to see if I can get any dirt out of the gap that way like macaroonie suggested. If nothing works, I guess I can gently cut it out and further try to verify if it's a genuine cone or not?

I'll measure the VC impedance now. I guess it should be 8 Ohm, right?

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Note to self : Get the hoover out and get that c**p out of my woofers.
    Yup, I laid it on the spinning IKEA pizza table, put my finger inside with a 90 degree angle, then rolled it around to get the dirt into the dust cap, then I vacuumed it out very gently. The noise was there before this though. I bought it knowing about the noise and got it fairly cheap. Like 80 bucks (which is cheap for a 2235h here in NO).

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Thank you. Got 7.5 Ohms, but when I measured the leads by placing the probes of my cheap multimeter together they have 1.5 Ohms so subtracting I land at 6 Ohms.

FYI my geniune 2235H's measure around 6.4Ohms.

Thread Information