Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is the problem with this 2235h driver [video]?

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    HI DingDing,

It seems to me that the coil and the sider are original,
    unfortunately You have cut the spider so, I think that it would be very difficult, (may be impossible) to remove it and put the new one without the VC destruction. As I remembered ther was a kind of suggestion to carefully remove the spider (without its destruction).
    You have to check is the VC almost perfect circular in order to be placed in the gap.

regards
    ivica
    Hi again, ivica and thank you for responding.

1. Yes, I measured the VC and it looks to be genuine

2. Haha, yes, unfortunately it was impossible to center the cone with this spider as it seemed to have sagged after 31 years, I'm going to start turning my 2235h 180 degrees around every 4 months or so from now on. In an attempt at removing the spider, I will try to use a heated surgical scalpel and gently, gently, gently try to cut away the spider to have it replaced.

When, not if, everything goes pear shaped I have also secured a brand new genuine recone kit I'm going to attempt at installing, should be interesting

3. Yes, I've done that and the VC seems perfectly circular, so it was probably a sagged spider as there were no large pieces of dirt in the gap.

I can't believe that's it's original unless it was butchered by someone, those VC leads just scream aftermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by martin2395 View Post
    I can't believe that's it's original unless it was butchered by someone, those VC leads just scream aftermarket.
    Yeah, weird. Maybe someone had a bad day at the factory back in 1st of February 1983?

The basket had absolutely no marks which indicates that the driver has been reconed. If a driver is reconed, there will most likely be marks after the old glue from the spider is removed from the frame and there was no marks anywhere but on the top frame below the foam, so I'm pretty sure that the cone and VC is the original from back when the frame was made.

Maybe the tensil leads broke at one point and someone redid them? I've got no idea, but this has been a very interesting and fun experience.

I've cleaned out the frame and are going to attempt at saving the VC tonight.

Unless I am mistaken, the 2235 does not have an aluminum former, more like an almost transparent reddish plastic/bakelite... much like the 2225

Name:  5583295199_c459d5a7dc_o.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  83.9 KB

And they don't have that black glue aroud the VC either, and the VC does not protrude so much from the cone, it's glued from underneath with a harder, breakier glue that is light in colour.

Name:  5629483815_e6077ecfb4_o.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  152.9 KB
    My avatar: 4520 loaded with 2225H on E140 frames,
    1x 2202H on custom front loaded horn, 2x 2426 on 2370.

Thread Information