Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4311 Restoration

Wauu

The look very good, hope the sound as good as they look.

Best regards

Very nice indeed

Thanks guys. I haven't had the chance to do much critical listening but from what I have done, I`m quite pleased with the results thus far.
    After ensuring the polarities were correct, I ran some pink noise and took some near field measurements.
    I was surprised to see how smooth and how high the 2213 went. I sacrificed a little in the 4-6K region to avoid the LE5-2s 6.3K nasties by running the LE25 at an equal level to the 2213 and just sneaking the LE5-2 in afterwards, it`s a good starting point.
    Didn't take much in terms of L Pad rotation either as can be witnessed by their positions in the photo`s.
    The ClarityCaps do seem to sound smoother than the Solen caps I used in another pair of 4311s and L36s before that.
    The "right side up" mod too was worth the effort as it is critical to get the mid and hi drivers at a good level. Its surprising what a difference a couple of inches in altitude can make.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
    A couple more
    I have to ask. I just saved some JBL 4311 from going to trash at work and was wondering how well they paired with the 700B. I seem to have the exact same set up but haven't tested them on my 700B. I think my 4311s need to be recapped but that's the only flaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattv228 View Post
    I have to ask. I just saved some JBL 4311 from going to trash at work and was wondering how well they paired with the 700B. I seem to have the exact same set up but haven't tested them on my 700B. I think my 4311s need to be recapped but that's the only flaw.
    I briefly drove the 4311s with the 700B with very good results but then again, this is not your fathers Phase Linear. I installed a White Oak driver board, new output transistors, input coupling caps, reworked grounding scheme etc etc which transformed the amp significantly from stock form. A BGW 750B ran them for a while too but a Yamaha PC2002M was paired for the most part.

That said, I cant imagine a bone stock Phase Linear not being up for the job, but do your self a favor and load protect the amp in the event it decides to go supernova.

Thread Information