Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JBL L212s anyone? Here is my triple stacked JBL L212s with 4 Bass Energizers project

Interesting set-up. But it looks dangerous. Will you build a structure to hold the cabinets together? Those could do a lot of harm if they fall on somebody...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Interesting set-up. But it looks dangerous. Will you build a structure to hold the cabinets together? Those could do a lot of harm if they fall on somebody...
    Quote Originally Posted by badman View Post
    You'd need to have impedance testing gear, OR plot a known voltage/frequency manually for current then ohm's law it out- I'd suggest http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...ystem--390-806 as a solution- it's a whole lot quicker and easier.

A higher load is a nice thing for most amps, but don't get too hung up on the nominal value- speaker loads vary widely with frequency and (good) amps aren't designed around the assumption of driving a resistor.
    Yes thank you for the heads up... literally! I will be utilizing some type of bracing system but also I want to angle the individual speakers at ear level..
    I am waiting on another set of L212s so I can quadruple stack which will have each speaker seeing the same load/power from my Classe CA2200 at 4 ohms per side via the two sets of speaker outs and bi wire connections.

Okay.. I received my Class D Audio SDS-470 but ...

Hello,

I recently acquired a Class D Audio SDS-470 and I wanted to integrate it in my current system specifically for subwoofer (LFE) duties to run 4 of my JBL Energizers 8 ohm subs wired in parallel. This would be a great addition to my set up as each sub would have plenty of power and I would have access to instant bass adjustment.

I ran the subwoofer out from my Oppo in to the SDS-470 and have found that it does not generate any low frequency's.
    The rca input on this amp is not recognizing the lfe signals.. Should it?
    Is an rca input interchangeable as a lfe input ... one of the same?
    Any way that I can utilize this amp as a subwoofer amp and simply plug the subwoofer out to the amps input?
    Does it need a different module or something else?
    Thank you for your time.
    Sincerely, Scott

Tell us more about the OPPO - which model disc player?

What source material are you playing in the Oppo - standard bluebook CDs will not generate an LFE -

Depending on source you may or may not have bass signals on the sub output ... its not automatic!
    Are you using some kind of a preamp with a sub channel throughput, or just a 2 channel preamp?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Texeira View Post
    Hello,

I recently acquired a Class D Audio SDS-470 and I wanted to integrate it in my current system specifically for subwoofer (LFE) duties to run 4 of my JBL Energizers 8 ohm subs wired in parallel. This would be a great addition to my set up as each sub would have plenty of power and I would have access to instant bass adjustment.

I ran the subwoofer out from my Oppo in to the SDS-470 and have found that it does not generate any low frequency's.
    The rca input on this amp is not recognizing the lfe signals.. Should it?
    Is an rca input interchangeable as a lfe input ... one of the same?
    Any way that I can utilize this amp as a subwoofer amp and simply plug the subwoofer out to the amps input?
    Does it need a different module or something else?
    Thank you for your time.
    Sincerely, Scott

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Tell us more about the OPPO - which model disc player?

What source material are you playing in the Oppo - standard bluebook CDs will not generate an LFE -

Depending on source you may or may not have bass signals on the sub output ... its not automatic!
    Are you using some kind of a preamp with a sub channel throughput, or just a 2 channel preamp?
    Hey James ..
    Oppo 105D and utilizing its preamp .
    I did an A B utilizing the exact same connections with a plate amp and the plate amp picks up the subwoofer signal and runs the sub from the Oppo no prob

Still stumped ... a bad Class D Audio amp?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Have you tested the class A amp with normal left and right inputs and a pair of conventional speakers??

And again, what source - CD? Bluray?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Have you tested the class A amp with normal left and right inputs and a pair of conventional speakers??

And again, what source - CD? Bluray?

Yes I disconnected my balanced inputs from my Classe amp and put the Class D Audio amp in to the chain and it did play the left & right channels, 70 hz and up... but cant play the under 70 hz via the line out from the Oppo subwoofer out. ?

Right now the source is hi rez usb Puddy Roots that has a lot of bass and runs the sub frequencies thru the plate amp no prob but not the Class D Audi.. the subwoofer cable is long 30ft but not sure why that would matter as the plate amp sees the signal

Scott, in this picture you have the sub out from your Oppo into only one channel of the Class D amplifier (the right channel), and trying to run both subs from the left and right channels. You need a Y-splitter to get the LFE signal into both RCA-inputs (left and right channels) of the Class D amp.

You should wire things up as such:

Oppo -> LFE out -> Y-splitter -> RCA left and right channel of the Class D amplifier.

Please also make sure the inputs on the rare of your Class D amp is set to RCA.

Now, you're trying to put the LFE signal into only one channel of the amp and drive two subs through the left and right channel. When you use a Y-splitter to get the LFE signal into both left and right channels, you will have audio in both of your subwoofers. With your current setup there should be audio in one of your subwoofers, but not both since only one channel is receiving the signal. By the looks of your pictures, it should be the subwoofer connected to the right side binding posts that gets the signal. Please double check it.

Quote Originally Posted by DingDing View Post
    Scott, in this picture you have the sub out from your Oppo into only one channel of the Class D amplifier (the right channel), and trying to run both subs from the left and right channels. You need a Y-splitter to get the LFE signal into both RCA-inputs (left and right channels) of the Class D amp.

You should wire things up as such:

Oppo -> LFE out -> Y-splitter -> RCA left and right channel of the Class D amplifier.

Please also make sure the inputs on the rare of your Class D amp is set to RCA.

Now, you're trying to put the LFE signal into only one channel of the amp and drive two subs through the left and right channel. When you use a Y-splitter to get the LFE signal into both left and right channels, you will have audio in both of your subwoofers. With your current setup there should be audio in one of your subwoofers, but not both since only one channel is receiving the signal. By the looks of your pictures, it should be the subwoofer connected to the right side binding posts that gets the signal. Please double check it.
    Hey Ding!
    Yes in this pic I just currently have the right input on the amp actually connected from the Oppo and out to 1 sub. I took the y cable out of the equation in attempts to figuring out the problem, process of elimination.
    My next step is to look under the hood. I will be taken a look at the boards/connections and hopefully will be able to visually see something amiss.
    Thank you for helpin out!

Ok.

Have you tried turning the gain potentiometer at the rear of your Class D Audio amplifier to the maximum, just to see if anything happens?

It's weird that the Class D Audio amp plays normal left and right channels just fine, but not the LFE signal when your plate amp plays the same LFE signal.

I don't use LFE myself, I do all xovers in miniDSP 4x10 HD. Maybe you should write Class D Audio and ask if the amplifier is suitable to receive an LFE signal? Don't understand why it shouldn't be able to receive it though. It's an analog signal just like normal RCA.

Ok.

Have you tried turning the gain potentiometer at the rear of your Class D Audio amplifier to the maximum, just to see if anything happens?

It's weird that the Class D Audio amp plays normal left and right channels just fine, but not the LFE signal when your plate amp plays the same LFE signal.

I don't use LFE myself, I do all xovers in miniDSP 4x10 HD. Maybe you should write Class D Audio and ask if the amplifier is suitable to receive an LFE signal? Don't understand why it shouldn't be able to receive it though. It's an analog signal just like normal RCA.
    Yes, I put up the gain all the way and just hear an electrical humming noise.

Ya ... I dont get it either .. I am going to be looking under the hood this evening to hopefully find something amiss visually.
    Last edited by Scott Texeira; 08-18-2014 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Mistaken quote on Class D Audio

Hmmm, I don't understand the "maps and orcas" reference, care to elaborate? I've been eying an amp from the Class D Audio company myself, but now I get concerned about the customer service.

Back to the Oppo 105D and the LFE output. I'm assuming you're using the SW output as indicated by the red rectangle in this screenshot from their manual?

Name:  eRM7Sq7.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  57.2 KB

What happens if you do the exact same thing you're doing with the SDS-470 into your Classé amp? Ie, disconnect everything and try running the Classé as a subwoofer amp.

Right now the source is hi rez usb Puddy Roots that has a lot of bass and runs the sub frequencies thru the plate amp no prob but not the Class D Audi.. the subwoofer cable is long 30ft but not sure why that would matter as the plate amp sees the signal
    Troubleshooting is simplifying until you find the point of failure ... so please bear with me if I seem to be overly simple.

Skip the Y cables and all that stuff - just feed the SW out from the OPPO into one channel of the Class D amp and have that feed a single input on your subwoofer.

How do you get this source (hi rez usb Puddy Roots?) into the OPPO? I am not familiar with Puddy Roots so be specific with details. Please explain EXACTLY how this source is connected.
    Does this source generate an LFE signal (or any kind of signal) on the SW output of the OPPO?

With that source running, you connect the SW out of the OPPO to the plate amp and get sound?
    With that source running, you connect the SW out of the OPPO to a single channel of the Class D amp and get - no sound?

Class D Audio is a class act ... no pund intended! Excellent customer service!

Troubleshooting is simplifying until you find the point of failure ... so please bear with me if I seem to be overly simple.

Skip the Y cables and all that stuff - just feed the SW out from the OPPO into one channel of the Class D amp and have that feed a single input on your subwoofer.

How do you get this source (hi rez usb Puddy Roots?) into the OPPO? I am not familiar with Puddy Roots so be specific with details. Please explain EXACTLY how this source is connected.
    Does this source generate an LFE signal (or any kind of signal) on the SW output of the OPPO?

With that source running, you connect the SW out of the OPPO to the plate amp and get sound?
    With that source running, you connect the SW out of the OPPO to a single channel of the Class D amp and get - no sound?
    Hmmm, I don't understand the "maps and orcas" reference, care to elaborate? I've been eying an amp from the Class D Audio company myself, but now I get concerned about the customer service.

Back to the Oppo 105D and the LFE output. I'm assuming you're using the SW output as indicated by the red rectangle in this screenshot from their manual?

Name:  eRM7Sq7.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  57.2 KB

What happens if you do the exact same thing you're doing with the SDS-470 into your Classé amp? Ie, disconnect everything and try running the Classé as a subwoofer amp.
    Hey guys .. verdict is out .. long story short .. it was after all a faulty amp.
    Tom from Class D Audio called me. Excellent customer service.. just have to ship amp to them and they will fix it!
    He was previously typing from a tablet and his auto correction function was sending me some weird emails in regards to maps & orcas! lol

Thread Information