Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JBL L212s anyone? Here is my triple stacked JBL L212s with 4 Bass Energizers project

JBL L212s anyone? Here is my triple stacked JBL L212s with 4 Bass Energizers project

Still a work in progress..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Interesting, very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Texeira View Post
    Still a work in progress..
    Wow - I'd be happy to find ONE pair of them locally -
    I've seen a doublestack before - (yours?)
    3 looks just right tho (grin) ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

This is awesome!

I bet such a big room with high ceilings can make extraordinary things happen! Cool stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Wow - I'd be happy to find ONE pair of them locally -
    I've seen a doublestack before - (yours?)
    3 looks just right tho (grin) ...
    Yes I had 2 pairs traditionally stacked with top speaker inverted. It simply improved on everything.
    The verdict is still out on these triple stacks ... but so far I am impressed on how they sound.

Quote Originally Posted by DingDing View Post
    This is awesome!

I bet such a big room with high ceilings can make extraordinary things happen! Cool stuff!
    Yes it does produce a nice wide soundstage and images good ... the room is 27' x 16' with average height ceiling

Quote Originally Posted by wsilva View Post
    Interesting, very interesting
    That's exactly what I was thinking when I acquired another pair ... It would be interesting to try it ... we can read all day long about comb filtering and other concerns with multiple spaced drivers but until we do a real world scenario with our real world room we would never know. I am sure a testing mic would show comb filtering issues however our ears cant pick up this issue at shorter distances. My ears are 9 ft away from speakers.

My pair was very smooth and easy to listen to but gobbled up watts so I'm wondering what's powering your setup.
    OPUS POCUS

Quote Originally Posted by 57BELAIRE View Post
    My pair was very smooth and easy to listen to but gobbled up watts so I'm wondering what's powering your setup.
    Hello,
    Just running the triple stacks with the one 066 tweeter in the back of each column with a Classe CA 2200.
    I have played this system @ 65% for 2 hours straight and the Classe seems to enjoy the load whatever that may be as I really have no idea of the actual impedance due to how I currently have it wired. I would really like to know... All I do know is that the Classe never went into protection mode and it was only moderately warm.

Hello,
    Just running the triple stacks with the one 066 tweeter in the back of each column with a Classe CA 2200.
    I have played this system @ 65% for 2 hours straight and the Classe seems to enjoy the load whatever that may be as I really have no idea of the actual impedance due to how I currently have it wired. I would really like to know... All I do know is that the Classe never went into protection mode and it was only moderately warm.
    Can you describe the wiring? All positive strapped together, and all negative together, then going to the amp? That's parallel wiring and it could present a minimum load of about 2 or 3 ohms to the amp. A lesser quality amp might've (would've??) blown up with this setup (possibly taking out all the speakers in the process!!). The Classe, from the data on their website, looks to be OK down to 4 ohms...but, to be safe, you should just get 2 more amps!! haha

Quote Originally Posted by tomee View Post
    Can you describe the wiring? All positive strapped together, and all negative together, then going to the amp? That's parallel wiring and it could present a minimum load of about 2 or 3 ohms to the amp. A lesser quality amp might've (would've??) blown up with this setup (possibly taking out all the speakers in the process!!). The Classe, from the data on their website, looks to be OK down to 4 ohms...but, to be safe, you should just get 2 more amps!! haha
    Hey Tomee
    Thanx for the heads up. I wish it was that simple of a formulation ...
    No, I don't have the 3 pairs wired in parallel as I am running with a pair of Nordost bi wires from one of the two speaker outputs on back of the Classe as its for easier bi amping.
    I currently have each bi wire connected to 2 pairs of speakers and for the third pair I simply added the appropriate leads to the other shared speakers connection.
    But this is where it gets complicating... what a mess ... I have currently.. 4 bass energizers wired through their own crossover amp section however these bass energizers only take left & right signals, not a lfe connection. The bass energizers themselves have a very high impedance and I wired all 4 of them to the 4 speaker bi wire connections ....

Hey Tomee
    Thanx for the heads up. I wish it was that simple of a formulation ...
    No, I don't have the 3 pairs wired in parallel as I am running with a pair of Nordost bi wires from one of the two speaker outputs on back of the Classe as its for easier bi amping.
    I currently have each bi wire connected to 2 pairs of speakers and for the third pair I simply added the appropriate leads to the other shared speakers connection.
    But this is where it gets complicating... what a mess ... I have currently.. 4 bass energizers wired through their own crossover amp section however these bass energizers only take left & right signals, not a lfe connection. The bass energizers themselves have a very high impedance and I wired all 4 of them to the 4 speaker bi wire connections ....
    It sounds like parallel to me- but a wiring diagram would be helpful- there may be a better way, such as doing a shaded array- run the top and bottom in series and the mid in parallel with the series pair. This would increase your load and lower the output on the top and bottom one relative to the mid. It doesn't follow a coherent design theory but no arrangement of the three will, so you might as well play with it.

Quote Originally Posted by badman View Post
    It sounds like parallel to me- but a wiring diagram would be helpful- there may be a better way, such as doing a shaded array- run the top and bottom in series and the mid in parallel with the series pair. This would increase your load and lower the output on the top and bottom one relative to the mid. It doesn't follow a coherent design theory but no arrangement of the three will, so you might as well play with it.
    this sounds like a good idea to me. and I think the bass energizers are OK as you have them - they use their own internal amps.

Did you ever try them lined up side-by-side, on the stands? (Less risk of them falling over that way.)

Quote Originally Posted by tomee View Post
    this sounds like a good idea to me. and I think the bass energizers are OK as you have them - they use their own internal amps.

Did you ever try them lined up side-by-side, on the stands? (Less risk of them falling over that way.)
    Quote Originally Posted by badman View Post
    Thanx 4 the input guys .. much appreciated.

As far as the Bass Energizers go .. I really like them and with a lot of quality hi rez & c d music its just about perfect however there are times that they need a touch more output and I don't like having them all set to %80 output on the front volume knob. I wish I could get the same output from them all at the 12 oclock position. The Class D amp will take care of this problem as I will utilize the crossover in the Oppo, simple to bypass the internal amp/crossover and I will have instant bass adjustment.

I don't want to utilize the L212s side by side as I want to keep all the drivers vertically aligned and the speakers are very sturdy as is for now .. its a work in progress.. I would lose center image focus and would mess up my already sweet wide and deep stage.

That's a good suggestion for now Badman... Anyway I can get the 3 speakers to see the exact load with this arrangement .. eventually i am looking to have all speakers seeing the exact load... still seeking another set of L212s (quadruple stacked) and I would run another pair of bi wires from the Classe 2200 making use of the 2 pairs of speaker outs for just this .. bi amping. This would be a 4 ohm load which each speaker would be seeing 100 watts each running from 70hz up.

Any way I can see what kind of load the amp is seeing now? I am sure its over 4 ohms .. Classe amp luvs it no matter what it is at the present time

Cheers my friends!!

You'd need to have impedance testing gear, OR plot a known voltage/frequency manually for current then ohm's law it out- I'd suggest http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...ystem--390-806 as a solution- it's a whole lot quicker and easier.

A higher load is a nice thing for most amps, but don't get too hung up on the nominal value- speaker loads vary widely with frequency and (good) amps aren't designed around the assumption of driving a resistor.

Thread Information