Thread: Urei 525 Crossover

luxmanlover

Urei 525 Crossover

Has ony experience with the 525 crossover?.. It looks quite interesting and flexible.
    Kelly

Ah my fav!

It is extremely flexible! And it comes stock set at unity gain, but this can be changed internally. With some minor mods its an absolutely dynamite sounding unit! In its stock configuration it may not have quite enough gain, but as I said before this can be changed!

tom smith

Re: Ah my fav!

Originally posted by scott fitlin
    It is extremely flexible! And it comes stock set at unity gain, but this can be changed internally. With some minor mods its an absolutely dynamite sounding unit! In its stock configuration it may not have quite enough gain, but as I said before this can be changed!
    scott, i just received a couple of 525s from america. Can you tell me more about this, and any other mods, that will help get the most out of this unit.

thanks,
    tom

Hey - a sneaky trick I used to do was double the size of the capacitors in the lowest pair of filters to allow use as a stereo 2 way with HPF. This was **very** useful in live situations such as stage monitors.

The multi-level wafer switch used for changing modes has silver contacts that often corrode and need to be cleaned ( and then rinsed ) to ensure proper operation.

Also bypassing the output transformers for a direct unbalanced out was an option for some home applications.

The full manual can be downloaded from here - the printout is MUCH cleaner than the image on your monitor...

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Vin...s/UREI-525.pdf

sub
    Last edited by subwoof; 12-05-2003 at 08:16 PM.

robmonk

mode switch wafer,

I'm glad to have bumped into your note on the 525's tendency to get bad contacts on the mode switch.

I have an intermittant operating mode switch on mine, which is otherwise amazing. I'd love more details/hints on how to best remove and clean this (or replace).

What are the pros and cons for balanced/unbalanced lines? I'm using my 525 mostly for a 3-way home setup, but I also may put it to work for a PA where it would be more than 10' (up to 40') from the sound mixer.

... Which brings me to: I read on a forum that my Tascam M-208 mixer's XLR outs are actually not balanced outs -- they just use a connector whose main purpose is to be balanced! I'm curious how big a liability this may be in a live sound mixer, and what I can do to minimize any negative effects. (keep the amps close-by, I suppose, and run long speaker-level cable rather than long line-level cable).

RE: unity gain:
    I think I remember reading in my manual that the 12 o'clock position on the output knobs is configured as unity gain. Am I remembering wrong?

Thanks again for keeping the 525 alive!

inklip Production
    underground Hi-Fi

Quote Originally Posted by robmonk

RE: unity gain:
    I think I remember reading in my manual that the 12 o'clock position on the output knobs is configured as unity gain. Am I remembering wrong?

Thanks again for keeping the 525 alive!

inklip Production
    underground Hi-Fi
    Unity gain is wide open on the ouput levels as in stock set up its a unity device ( 0db ). According to the manual, 12 O`Clock is the lowest output level setting you should use because below this level you dont get good signal to noise ratio.

It just so happens I`ve removed digital signal processing from my system, and returned to analog via the urei 525, and MAN `O` Man, you CANT tell me different, its absolutely gorgeous sounding! So clear, very dynamic, and real sounding, yet easy on the ears, even at high volumes. LOUD that isnt LOUD, if you know what I mean!

Yes, the 525 lives, and reigns supreme.

scottyj

I have never heard one but have always heard they were high maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I have never heard one but have always heard they were high maintenance
    They can be, but, you can solder the IC,s directly to the board, eliminating the sometimes troublesome and intermittant waffle IC sockets. And clean the wafer switches once a year. Thats about all that really goes wrong with the piece, and IMHO, the sound is worth it!

A really sweet midband, and top end. Something really special.
    scottyj

J.A.F.S.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin
    They can be, but, you can solder the IC,s directly to the board, eliminating the sometimes troublesome and intermittant waffle IC sockets. And clean the wafer switches once a year. Thats about all that really goes wrong with the piece, and IMHO, the sound is worth it!

A really sweet midband, and top end. Something really special.
    I have two 525s - and I replaced the cheap IC sockets with mil-spec, gold plated machine contact sockets - and have had no troubles with them since.
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

Thread Information