Thread: new internet station Jazz London Radio

new internet station Jazz London Radio

Hi. If you are interested in jazz and related music, I started a new internet station recently called Jazz London Radio. Check website here

http://www.jazzlondonradio.com/

It plays a variety of different styles of jazz and not stick to one genre - from straight ahead, classic blue note to contemporary with a bit of indie, ambient, nu jazz etc here and there. I also do a Rock and Blues show on Saturdays and Sundays. The station is primarily music only but I have secured one presenter so far who does a show covering the Great American songbook and am looking to add to more presenters in August covering new releases, promoting new artists and looking at the interesting period of creative jazz music coming out of places like Chicago (Art Ensemble of Chicago, DeJohnette etc etc).

Have a listen.

Way to go Laurie! Listening to Through The Night and my lord you play great stuff. Switched from my tablet to my iPod and I keep downloading CDs on Rhapsody that your playlist is turning me on to.

A musician who may have escaped your attention - she died a long time ago and very young - is Emily Remler. She was the best new Jazz guitarist in nearly forever. She started worshiping Wes and went on to produce less derivative original work. Catwalk blew me away and still does. She is a favorite of mine because her playing was the most musical of all the guitarists. Everything she soloed was a melody. A good melody. The only one I heard who had better chops was Joe Pass. Her early mastery of bossa proved a huge leg up on her peers. She always played with her eyes closed, except an early Barbara Dennerlein TV gig where she had to borrow a 3/4 ES 125. Understandable.

OMG, you're playing Joe Lovano...
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Hi Ducatista

Glad you are enjoying the station so far, I want to improve things further over the next few months with those new presenters coming on board.

Re Emily Remler, haha! I am a big Emily Remler fan and at times still saddened at her death at the very young age of 33. I was really getting into jazz back then in 1990 when she died, the rumour at the time was a drug overdose, perhaps heroin?

In fact, I have been playing loads of Emily Remler tracks, as you keep listening you will soon hear that. I have Transitions, Catwalk, This is Me, where she started to show a great new dimension of contemporary jazz and the Tribute CD they did for her just after she died. The CD included Herb Ellis, Lincoln Goines, Marvin Smitty Smith, Eddie Gomez, Nelson Rangell and others. There was another CD which included Leni Stern and Steve Bailey on bass but I don't have that CD. Both CDs were called Gathering, A Tribute to Emily Remler volumes 1 and 2 and both came out in 1990.

I am also a huge Barbara Dennerlein fan, I 've seen her play twice in London and been playing lots of tracks from some of her CDs including her debut Bebab album from 1985.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    A musician who may have escaped your attention - she died a long time ago and very young - is Emily Remler. She was the best new Jazz guitarist in nearly forever. She started worshiping Wes and went on to produce less derivative original work. Catwalk blew me away and still does.
    I have her Transitions and enjoy it a lot. Trumpeter John d'Earth lives locally. I'll have to get a copy of Catwalk!

Thanks, again, for your great recommendations.

And thanks for the London Jazz link. They won't let me access it on my computer at work but I played a few cuts on my phone earlier today.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by laurie View Post
    Hi. If you are interested in jazz and related music, I started a new internet station recently called Jazz London Radio. Check website here

http://www.jazzlondonradio.com/

It plays a variety of different styles of jazz and not stick to one genre - from straight ahead, classic blue note to contemporary with a bit of indie, ambient, nu jazz etc here and there. I also do a Rock and Blues show on Saturdays and Sundays. The station is primarily music only but I have secured one presenter so far who does a show covering the Great American songbook and am looking to add to more presenters in August covering new releases, promoting new artists and looking at the interesting period of creative jazz music coming out of places like Chicago (Art Ensemble of Chicago, DeJohnette etc etc).

Have a listen.
    Congrats! As a jazz lover, I welcome your jazz radio. Hopefully you can present jazz in a way that's specifically tailored to those favoring specific jazz, such as classic, bebop, fusion or piano jazz, horn jazz, etc. Anyway, your first step can lead to a big success, I hope.

This is what radio was supposed to be! This is by far the best variety with an unbelievable sense of flow programming I have heard in thirty years...you wouldn't think you could go from techno pop to Robert Cray to Ella Fitzgerald.....I am impressed...!

Thank you - I've got it streaming through the house to the big JBLs and tubes downstairs - sweet!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thanks for the comments. I will continue to add music to the overnight playlists to cater for the Americas (I've been getting some listeners from South America and Latin America as well).

Thought I would mention if anyone likes Soul Jazz I have two hours of it later at 8pm British standard time. Then after that at 10pm I do two hours of what I call electronica. It's a mix up of some jazz artists who dabbled a lot like Herbie Hancock and Jean Luc Ponty. Some pop stuff like Thomas Dolby and Stereolab and some inbetweenies like Jean Michel Jarre, Wally Badarou and Steve Reich.

Thread Information