Thread: harman the movie

harman the movie

starring - Mike Shinoda • Slash • Quincy Jones • Snoop Dogg • Steve Aoki • Hans Zimmer • Andrew Scheps • Manny Marroquin • Dan the Automator • Lianne La Havas • Kate Nash • A.R. Rahman • Neil Strauss • Chris Ludwig • Dr. Sean Olive

and GT -

Last edited by tomt; 07-20-2014 at 11:16 PM. Reason: ladys choice

It'd be more convincing if you spelled the man's name right ...

Its HARMAN ...

Quote Originally Posted by tomt View Post
    Harmon the movie

starring -

Mike Shinoda • Slash • Quincy Jones • Snoop Dogg • Steve Aoki • Hans Zimmer • Andrew Scheps • Manny Marroquin • Dan the Automator • Lianne La Havas • Kate Nash • A.R. Rahman •
    Neil Strauss • Chris Ludwig • Dr. Sean Olive

and GT -

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Well, the title is completely misleading as this is basically an anti-compression vignette.

It was ok. Some good footage in the first five minutes!

A very well produced short film with an interesting subject.

It has little to do with Harman as we know it... I guess they may be getting ready to offer a line of gear aimed at the ear bud and Bluetooth crowd with new decompression algorithms/EQ etc. to "improve" the sound of the lowly MP3.

That said, since so many people do not feel they are missing anything, convincing the mainstream to upgrade is a serious uphill battle with a very uncertain outcome. Most people seem satisfied with mediocrity. It is funny that in this film Redbook CD is held up as the uber benchmark to be achieved.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    It is funny that in this film Redbook CD is held up as the uber benchmark to be achieved.

Widget
    Ever since Pono was announced, hi-res has become a dirty hyphenated word to the true believers:

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/dem...l#toc_cbtpeadb

British web rag review snippet:

"The L16 is the first to feature Harman’s Clari-Fi technology (‘Signal Doctor’) too.
    The company claims the software restores 90 per cent of audio lost in digital compression
    by analysing a track’s audio signals and correcting waveform deficiencies.
    Translation: it should serve up more detail in formats like MP3."

Interesting that, per JBL site, Clari-fi "Rebuilds much of what was lost in the compression process" and MFiT (Mastered For iTunes) also attempts to remedy issues created by compression. But both are building on compression technology, not moving away from it. The iTunes desktop app itself is capable of handling 384/32 uncompressed audio so while it can contain and play back high quality audio (perhaps with an external DAC), you cannot buy it from them.

I totally get the argument that compressed audio is easier to sell, distribute and store. I would like to see us move in a both/and direction rather than an either/or where we purchase the right to the content at all resolutions and we get to decide, perhaps by platform, the resolution. Workout music at the gym? Compress away. Careful listening in the living room, highest resolution.

Thanks for sharing the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    It is funny that in this film Redbook CD is held up as the uber benchmark to be achieved.

Widget
    This is question, not a comment. I am aware of the numerous advantages of higher bitrate/frequency files for recording, mastering, and signal processing of audio files. Headroom, transparency of processing, all that. I love my DAC's 24/384 system giving me a perfect digital volume control knob to turn. The best recording quality I have heard, MA Records, was captured in double DSD, 5.6 MHz. I don't know if it made it any better, but Todd considers it the best master he can record. I'll take his word for it; I have never recorded anything professionally.

I await, from anyone, a convincing explanation (not "I know what I hear" class proofs) of the advantages of exceeding the Nyquist Rate for playback source for analogue reproduction. That is, through transducers. The disadvantages of artifact production are well documented.

Could anyone enlighten me as to what the advantages are? Meaning something humans can hear where the audibility can be verified by science? Not trying to be a contentious smart ass, just asking. My skepticism in founded on the bedrock that Harry Nyquist has yet to be proved wrong about anything, as far as I know. I am quite willing to discount the fact that I can't hear any positive difference. I have senior citizen ears and brain, not built in microphones and distortion analyzers.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Nice documentary. I watched it twice.
    S4700 owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Zeppeli View Post
    Well, the title is completely misleading as this is basically an anti-compression vignette.

It was ok. Some good footage in the first five minutes!
    Agree - however no mention of poor converter interpretation in recording or playback devices.

Oldmics

Thread Information