Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4343 fully active?

I will try it tomorrow with the amps set to 9, just to be sure.

The only disadvantage of the PA2 I could find so far is that it can't be turned off, especially the LCD display that is working all the time, absolutely unnecessary.
    I heard from people that the older Driveracks had a very loud thump when when turned off...

Amps off first. Regardless of the level of quality or designer thoughtfulness that went into what's up front.

The original DriveRackPA would bang if shut off before the power amps were off, that I know first hand, so do some of the BSS units.

The 260 and 4800 are very well behaved during power up-down. Neither have power switches on the front panel however mine are on power sequencers. I have not heard positively if the PA+ is a popper or not so if you accidently find out let me know.

The 4800's display can be dimmed to near off in the utilities section. The 260's display brightness is adjustable 1-9, I just run mine on the lowest setting. Hopefully you can dim the PA+ display, I would be surprised if not.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Amps off first. Regardless of the level of quality or designer thoughtfulness that went into what's up front.
    I know but it's more of a "what if" scenario like power failure while your amps doesn't have output relays that cut the signal on poweroff.

I couldn't find any pics of the innards of the PA2 so here it is: http://nl.tinypic.com/r/3461ehc/8

"I know but it's more of a "what if" scenario like power failure while your amps doesn't have output relays that cut the signal on poweroff."

I was pretty sure you knew good point. Small sine-output UPS on the PA2 might help if you really wanted to use it, and not tear into the electronics.

Mctwins
    Hallo!

Just leave the Driverack "ON" all the time. I have mine "ON" since three, fours years now. Both PA+ and 260.

Little more info about your setup would be nice. Don't understand your settings?? What amp are you using and so on.....??

Thanks

Mctwins
    Quote Originally Posted by martin2395 View Post
    In the nearest future I will have two more poweramps, 4 in total (Crown K2, HH V800 MOSFET, BGW 750C and Krell KSA50Mk2) and was thinking about turning the 4343's to active with something like MiniDSP 4x10.

I'm wondering - is such a thing possible as the stock 3143 has quite a lot gimmicks built in to make the 4343 work properly I guess?
    Sorry, I see it here, but still, more info how your approch is, So it means that you are using four differen't brands to go active, correct!

I run my speakers 2-way active now. The seller decided to keep the BGW.
    The Krell will be getting an overhaul, that's why I run the V800 now on the mid/high section.

I'm still hoping to find another KSa50MkII to do a 3-way biamp with 2x KSA50MkII and 1x Crown K2 for the bass.

I'm testing the 12dB/octave filter now, set to 290Hz. Could it be that it sounds better than 24dB/octave?

Mctwins
    Hallo!

Ok, I understand now. I asume you don't have any passive x-over inside the speakers, they are removed, Right?

So, the Crowns goes to Bass and V800 goes to Mid/High for the moment.

When you say 12dB/oct, is it Bessel, Butterworth, Linkwitz-Reily? Try the LR 24dB/oct, both Highpass and Lowpass at 300Hz. Don't forgett(Important) to Highpass the Lows, start with 40Hz BW 18dB/oct. See how it sounds.

You have many features on PA2 but first you have to do a Gain Structure so the amps clips at the same time. So that you have good S/N ratio.

Time delay the transducers, maybe not so critical at this point where you are going two-way active but later on when you go 4-way active. Gets more complicated here, this is important.

You seem to have choosen very high power level from the amps to drive your speakers, why? It say in the manual 150Watts with 3dB headroom(from 1977 manual).

Mctwins
    You can tweak on the fly and change different settings in your PA2, schould work, works on PA+ and 260.

As I said, i'm only doing 2-way biamp now. So the V800 does the 2123/2441/2405 and the Crown K2 does the 2235H. The 3143 networks are still in place.
    Why so much power? Well, the Crown K2 is already a kiind of 'reference standard' when it comes to driving subs and the Krell KSA50 is only 2x50W, the V800 is just a temporary solution until the Krell comes back from service.
    The V800 will have to go because it can't run without the (LOUD) fan and the amp itself has quite noisy background and you can hear it very well through the horns. The KSA50 is really dead quiet.

I'm using 12dB/oct L-R (JBL spec) and to me it sounds better than 24dB/oct L-R that I used all the time before with my BSS FDS360.
    I get a feeling that with 24dB/oct there is something lacking between the 2123 and 2235 that makes my 4343's sound like monitors with added subs. 12dB seems to feel that gap nicely.

Mctwins
    Quote Originally Posted by martin2395 View Post
    As I said, i'm only doing 2-way biamp now. So the V800 does the 2123/2441/2405 and the Crown K2 does the 2235H. The 3143 networks are still in place.
    Why so much power? Well, the Crown K2 is already a kiind of 'reference standard' when it comes to driving subs and the Krell KSA50 is only 2x50W, the V800 is just a temporary solution until the Krell comes back from service.
    The V800 will have to go because it can't run without the (LOUD) fan and the amp itself has quite noisy background and you can hear it very well through the horns. The KSA50 is really dead quiet.

I'm using 12dB/oct L-R (JBL spec) and to me it sounds better than 24dB/oct L-R that I used all the time before with my BSS FDS360.
    I get a feeling that with 24dB/oct there is something lacking between the 2123 and 2235 that makes my 4343's sound like monitors with added subs. 12dB seems to feel that gap nicely.
    Ok, understand know.

If I where you I would get my hands on two identical amplifiers and only Bi-amping your speakers with your PA2 and call it a day. No more than 300Watts of amp power.

About driving your Crown to the sub, how much power can this transducer handle? Remember you still have your network.

About the hiss(noice) in your V800 can be due to lacking in Gain Structure or that it produces this hiss due to to much power. You see, there is difference in Crowns XLS series contra XTi series. XTi produces more hiss than XLS. Info from tech department from Crown.

I have the passive filter on the mid/high section, it looks like this now:

Source - preamp -> Driverack HIGH -> HH V800 -> JBL 3143 passive network -> Mid/high section
    ............................Driverack LOW.->.Crown K2 -> 2235H woofers

I think that the amp is just noisy due to it's construction but it could be something with gain, on when you turn the volume knobs on the V800 to 50%-60% it's not noticeable.
    The Krell needs more input gain and maybe that's the reason it's so quiet.

Thread Information