Thread: "Remember, there is no substitute for a big-ass 4-way speaker!"

"Remember, there is no substitute for a big-ass 4-way speaker!"

I think someone posted this perspective on my first Audio Heritage thread.

My question: For a po' boy .... Would this work?!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121376745478...84.m1423.l2649

Quote Originally Posted by cgregory4 View Post
    I think someone posted this perspective on my first Audio Heritage thread.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121376745478...84.m1423.l2649
    I think there are lots better ways to drop 3K than cheap pro gear -
    and certainly no offense meant to you.

I mean, you already have some speakers, don't you?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I think there are lots better ways to drop 3K than cheap pro gear -
    and certainly no offense meant to you.

I mean, you already have some speakers, don't you?
    Yes, Ma'am. I do own a few.

So a JBL PA speaker design/cabinet/component combinations do not produce high quality audio reproduction at lower SPLs, when compared to a pro/consumer models?

Greg

[QUOTE=cgregory4;363993]

With Subs.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by cgregory4 View Post
    Yes, Ma'am. I do own a few.

So a JBL PA speaker design/cabinet/component combinations do not produce high quality audio reproduction at lower SPLs, when compared to a pro/consumer models?

Greg
    There are various levels of JBL pro gear, much as there are various level of JBL consumer gear.

I don't believe those are the better Pro pieces - but, I can certainly be wrong ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    There are various levels of JBL pro gear, much as there are various level of JBL consumer gear.

I don't believe those are the better Pro pieces - but, I can certainly be wrong ...
    I tried something similar from JBL and was EXTREMELY disappointed. Pretty much unlistenable.

Oops I didn't notice subs were included. For home use or?

We had a pair of these in the shop for a while. If you just hook 'em up and play them they don't sound outstanding. It's not like they are dialed in for a living room or a house garage as shipped. Someone adept with DSP can make these rock. I disagree with the unlistenable statement, once they are dialed in for the space they are in. They will play louder than any sane person would ever listen near field and can be made to sound better doing it than the vast majority of junk out there. I myself like large format stuff and had their bigger 2-15" brothers in my living room for a couple of years. Getting the most out of them in a smaller space is not trivial, they require substantial signal shaping.

As for the quality level of these, SRX was top shelf and all the drivers in these are in the current catalog save the 2404.

As usual, there is no simple answer, it really depends on what you want to do with them.

All the best,
    Barry
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

+1

I've had more insane looking pro "setups" in my living room which provided quite a bit of entertainment, prior to me wanting to get back to a simpler signal chain (and turn on sequence :P ).

Wasn't the last word in finesse and refinement, and more than capable of causing permanent hearing damage (another reason for its exit at the time), but very listenable and fun.

Normally, am an imaging and full but tight bass freak, but those areas were actually pretty well covered
    (4645/2245 subs, 4650/2226, 2446/2360). It was just too much in many ways.

Sound reenforcement/home and studio--it's apples and oranges. You could buy those, spruce them up, try to improve the crossover and exorcise the midrange bulge and tailor the response for home, and spend a lot of time and money, and I believe you would never be quite happy and you would not use them for very long. For the same time and money, and less angst you could assemble the parts and build a pair of 4355.'s, which I think you would be far more likely to find satisfying. Those speakers were part of the A-range for SR in their time, but they are not a turnkey solution for home. Plus--they very possibly could have seen a lot of hard use.

IMO
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    ... but they are not a turnkey solution for home. Plus--they very possibly could have seen a lot of hard use.
    indeed. Both of which point to more suitable/sane ( ) home solutions, as noted.

OK -- I get it. But .....

You have me thinking I should build some 4355s!

I printed out the cabinet plans and already have more than 1/2 the components.

However, my L 300 x-overs won't work. How scarce are the factory 3107 crossovers?

Thank you (I think ... ) ,

Greg

This (Homemade 4355s) would definitely qualify wrt the initial thread 'quote' -- correct?

Those 4732's are a 3way speaker. I have the 4731's , the 2way version, same cabinet. Not what I would call cheap .

My guess is that people who heard JBL's PA gear and were disappointed have either:

a) Heard a set of that was not properly powered / set-up
    b) Listened to the crappy SF/JR/JRX/MR/Marquis series

The SR and SRX is really top notch gear. I've owned a pair of 4716A's factory loaded with 2123H and 2416H on a bi-radial horn and I liked them a lot!
    Of course they need a subwoofer to be considered a full range system. The bigger models won't work so well as Hi-Fi as the LF section needs some power to come in balance with the HF.

Thread Information