Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 104H repair question

So thanks to a forum member I was ablessed to get the speakers back in action. I now even have a spare. This forum rocks.
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

From what I have read on this forum, that would require a major crossover redesign and possibly an mid enclosure change as well.
    I'll find out how big a deal this really is, soon (104H vs 104H-2). That hole in the 240Ti cab ain't gonna fill itself...

So, comparing the plots on the ol' le5 matrix thread, my initial thoughts are to increase the 240Ti MF section attenuation some 3-4dB,
    shift up the LPF rolloff to a higher freq (no longer using or compensating for a significant rising response), and -maybe- tuck
    the level down a bit at 1.8KHz (shallow notch). Will have a listen and a measure first.

LOL, so I sent a message to Harman asking a question about a 240Ti part (screw for 044Ti, P/N 61145) and got this:

Thank you for contacting us. This is an automated response to confirm that your inquiry has been received and a case number has been assigned. We are currently dealing with an unexpectedly high volume of customer contacts, and are working very hard to get caught up. Please be patient. We will respond as soon as possible, and will do all we can to assist you. Please do not respond to this email, as it will not be received or answered. The Harman Team

So far so good. The very next email I get:

This notification is to confirm that your case was closed. You will not receive any further communication regarding this case but we would be happy to assist with any other questions you may have. Please contact us again if your case was not completely resolved or if you have any other questions.

Please take a few moments to complete our survey regarding your experience.

http://harmaninternational.force.com...rvey?id...blah blah blah
    Fail. Not entirely unexpected, but Fail. The email equivalent of being hung up on.
    Now I know why they send people here.

So... 044Ti takes a 1 1/2" 8-32 screw.

and in a 240Ti, without being able to A/B the 104H and 104H-2,
    I'm in no rush to modify the 104H-2 swap.

and yes, black oxide hardware is being ordered, now that I know the size.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Looking good! Wonder myself how the 104H-2 will sound as well since they are more easily procured.
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

I'd like to compare... listening and measuring, but have no 104H to try.

I did look at the published response curves though, and there are differences in both sensitivity and response. I cranked out a "fix" in Spice, given the FR and imp curves, but haven't tried it yet.

So, being itchy to hear something, I tried a straight swap anyway (no xover mods), left both mid and tweeter switches at 0dB (vs -2dB), and it doesn't sound "wrong"... maybe a bit bass heavy in the 60-80Hz range, but that could be where I have them or by design.

I did try the 2dB mid switch position, which seemed like a logical first cut given the sensitivity difference, but it sounded like a scooped EQ, so back to 0dB until I can be bothered to get out the test gear and see what's going on (compensating for the bass by boosting the mid(?). May have 044Ti's with gooey foam too, but one issue at a time

Thread Information