Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Krell KBX

Krell KBX

There is currently a Krell KBX active x-over listed for sale in the Netherlands that has been used with Wilson WHOW. I'd really like to buy it as it matches the design of my late FPB style KRC-HR preamp, BUT!
    I can't find any info on the frequency setting, Krell only states in the user manual that it can be done but nothing else, also there is no service manual available.

I know that they were factory delivered with settings for Apogee Diva/Full Range, Wilson, JBL K2 and B&W 800, according to audio-heritage.jp they had the proper settings for JBL 4343 and 4344 too but there is absolutely nothing to be found about it.

Is there any way to change the crossover frequency and the slope without shipping the KBX to Krell? The latter is not really an option when you consider shipping costs etc.
    I am asking this before I jump on a unit that would only be usable as an expensive door stop. As always with Krell the circuit is crazily overengineered with discrete output and like 300 transistors in total but i think that the frequency card is mounted on the smaller PCB above:

Name:  g.jpg
Views: 6596
Size:  244.7 KB

"The KBX can be customized to any frequency, slope, and equalization curve for unlimited speaker system design flexibility. An emulation plug-in card is programmed with crossover frequency, slope, and equalization information. It can be reprogrammed to accommodate future system requirements and provide complete system flexibility." Krell is pretty good for support, hopefully they will supply the notes needed. Try a message to: [email protected]

Yes, I've already sent an e-mail to Krell's tech support and asked for more info about programming the KBX but got no response yet.

What I do know is that they don't supply the freq boards anymore (probably since 2003-2005) so if they have different layouts, the KBX is a no go.

What kind of money are they asking , being Krell it will not be pocket change. As an alternative why not have a look at XTA DP226 and similar digital units. You will get a clean used XTA for 1-1.5k £ or euro

They ask €1000 for it, but the main reason that I want it is that it is from the same series as my KRC-HR preamp. I also run a Krell KSA50Mk2 poweramp.

For example

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XTA-DP-226...item3a939cb2e7

shipping will be minimal as it is not heavy.

XTA have a stellar customer support ethic , all their .pdf's are online and are updated as needed.

Dan D'Agostino could well do with taking a lesson from these people or Crown etc. rather than leaving customers stranded.

I have no idea if Dan had was involved in research of the KBX? I read somewhere that he got kicked from Krell at some point.

I already have a great analog x-over, a fully recapped BSS FDS-360 but when I saw the KBX I thought "Hey, this would look nice next to my other Krells"

Quote Originally Posted by martin2395 View Post
    I already have a great analog x-over, a fully recapped BSS FDS-360 but when I saw the KBX I thought "Hey, this would look nice next to my other Krells"
    As good a reason as any.

Widget

There are limits to what you can reasonably expect to gain in performance from the 4343 as stock and I doubt the Krell would be an improvement over the BSS in this scenario.

You could replace the compression driver with a Tad 2002 and be way in front.

There is not much left of the original 4343 in mine, only the networks and supertweeters are stock (and the cabs of course).
    I already replaced the 2421 with 2441 + Radian 1245-16 so the next step would be either 4001 or JBL 2450 w. Truextents.

I sold my B&W N802 for the 4343's and I haven't missed the B&W at all, I was so glad I sold them.

Are you going to do the tribal ritual and 'charge couple' ...LOL

Sooner or later I will but the prices are outrageous. A decent 4345 style CC network costs around €1400 a pair, and that's bi-amp only
    And we are talking about 'decent' so no shiny PIO caps and expensive coils, just plain Solens.

Seriously, for that kind of money I could buy another BSS FDS360 and go full 4-way active but I have no clue if it's doable.

The usual way with this is to keep the HF and UHF working as per the original network and DSP as a 3 way , stripping out the passive parts of the LF and bass/ mid drivers.

That's an idea!

+
    Though I have to find someone bypass the rotary switch for me and see what that does. I noticed that the woofs connected directly to the amp gave much better bass than through the terminals on the back but I couldn't get match it with the HF section, no idea why.

Thread Information