Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So, is JBL going to be releasing new speakers anytime soon?

So, is JBL going to be releasing new speakers anytime soon?

Their current product line in the Klipsch Reference price range (bookshelf speakers for $400-800ish and floorstanders from $600-1200ish a pair) is lame (Northridge E Series) and they don't have much else that is interesting.

Do you know if anything is in the works? I would love to see a revised Studio-type line with better mains and REAL surround speakers for HT use.

I love JBL, but their new product lineup just sucks right now!

Obsolete

Re: So, is JBL going to be releasing new speakers anytime soon?

Probably

Insightful

Bleh - too bad. I just hope its worth the wait.

They have the knowlegde, marketing, distribution channels, capital, etc. to make world class products, but choose not to. WHY!!!

Obsolete
    Hey! I'm baffled! Everyone I talk to is busy as all get out coming up with new product. Marketing is putting the word out on product that hasn't even left development yet!

Except for Pro, it's all overseas I guess... here in the States it appears to me that Harman would prefer to sell everything off their websites and finish off what's left of a once mighty Dealer infrastructure once and for all...

All speculation on my part.

Yeah, the Japanese web site makes me drool.

My only question is, JBL does not have much of a dealer network, so why don't they sell their Northridge-made JBL Japan products over the internet to people in the USA and all over the world? I bet many of us would buy!

TimG
    It looks like all the Harman U.S. investment in non-horn home speakers is going to Infinity and Revel. I can go into my local Sound King/Ultimate Electronics and listen to the Infinity Betas and Preludes, but I have to go to a pro shop to hear any of the good JBL products, like the LSR6332.

JBL should really be able to offer some products to compete with the Klipsch towers with the real wood veneer, but instead they keep churning out the disposable vinyl clad particle board cabinets, the kind of thing I would never spend money on. How are people supposed to take their high-end offerings seriously when they see so much of that kind of stuff?

I really don't know where JBL is even going to sell their K2 and Project Array speakers. They aren't expensive enough to appeal to the people who buy Wilson Audio products. I know that Stereophile tested the S9800, because I have seen measurments in the test of some JM Lab speakers, but they have never published the review. Maybe because it's almost impossible for anyone to acutally buy the speakers in this county.

Best Buy and Circuit City are a joke for electronics. My local stores don't even have serious listening rooms any more, they just set up their cheap speakers in the aisles, where I guess it is supposed to simulate critical listening in your hallway at home.

There seems to be only one local high end shop in my area because the other one switched to custom home theater installations, I guess that is where the money is these days for stores that don't make all their money from selling Bose.

It looks cool......

Originally posted by Giskard
    Yeah, very exciting stuff!

I'm saving my monies now!
    Granted it looks good, and I wouldnt mind having something like that in my living room, but what will be availability here in the U.S.? That ad aint in English.

I, too, would like to see JBL make something for its " Home " market!

qxlxp
    Originally posted by TimG
    It looks like all the Harman U.S. investment in non-horn home speakers is going to Infinity and Revel. I can go into my local Sound King/Ultimate Electronics and listen to the Infinity Betas and Preludes, but I have to go to a pro shop to hear any of the good JBL products, like the LSR6332.
    i don't know why they just don't slap a grill covers on their lsr line and sell them in the consumer market like m&k. i had a pair of lsr32's that were great sounding and a great bargain, but my wife thought they were the most ugly speaker i have ever had in the house. now that the drivers are recessed in the lsr 6300 series, i am thinking of just wrapping the whole speaker in grill cloth or maybe building some flush grilles and trying to get them past my wife.

also, a 80hz crossover on the 6328P and a sealed (or bung plugged) version of the 6332 which would give you an f3 around 70hz doesn't seem like it could be that difficult. it is almost as if they refuse to sell into the consumer market.

Obsolete
    "it is almost as if they refuse to sell into the consumer market."

Perhaps...
    What do they know that we don't?
    What do we know that they don't?
    What information are they basing their marketing decisions on?

Maybe it's time for Don to interview someone in Marketing...
    I can't because everyone I knew in Marketing quit

Thanks for the photos Valentin!

I was informed not to post any at all so nice work around.

Originally posted by Giskard
    [BMaybe it's time for Don to interview someone in Marketing...
    [/B]
    Dood - yer a genius!!

Then, we should start a Forum Blog on what end-users want - this is rife throughout the Forum, but not in any one dedicated Thread.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

My real gripe is the ease in which they could do this.

I am a car freak and have to 97 Toyota Camry with a V6 and a 5-speed and some minor mods (0-60 in 7.5 sec.) - I LOVE the Supra. I realize why Toyota discontinued it and that it would literally cost BILLIONS OF DOLLARS of bring it back (latest substanciated rumors say Tokyo Auto Salon in 2005 and on the streets no later than 2007)

Anyway, I am asking JBL to do either or both of two things, neither of which would be hard for a company their size:

1.) Sell your freaking Japanese market stuff in the USA!!! OMG, this is the awesome classic (and even new stuff) from when JBL was popular, you could even sell it over your web site. IIRC, this stuff is made in California and shipped to Asia - NO FAIR!!!

To use my car analogy, some cars are only sold in Japan (Nissan Skyline, for example) because of legal reasons and the fact it would be VERY expensive (countless millions) to bring a car over. Not the case with speakers.

2.) Take your pro stuff and pretty it up for home use, might need to make a center channel and stuff, but use exsisting drivers. Imagine some Pi Speaker-like stuff from JBL themselves. A 2226 driver with a nice horn on it.

paragon

Quality

What`s going on at JBL ??

I think they are loosing theyr quality.
    Look at the speakers they build now.
    Look at the "cheap" L-Series from the 70`s.
    See the difference in quality.
    My think is the last good quality speakers they build
    was the "TI and L Series" of the 90`s.
    Quality ! not sound.
    My friend whant to bought a new stereo a few years ago.
    I said to him buy the JBL L 80 !! and any other you want.

Eckhard

lfh

Now we're talking!

Originally posted by boputnam
    Then, we should start a Forum Blog on what end-users want - this is rife throughout the Forum, but not in any one dedicated Thread.
    What an excellent idea! Perhaps it actually is possible to have some (if ever so little) influence! Yep. Let's start a wishlist thread (hey, we're approaching x-mas) and keep it cookin' for a while. Lots of realistic ideas have already been presented, and for sure we'll come up with more. Voilā! JBL gets a think tank for free - and one or another of our dreams may become true.

(I wish they'd do a few more production runs of C8R2203...and maybe that they release component kits comprising of the parts of the upcoming Project Array...and )

My intent is not to put a damper in your plans, but you should understand the market situation. This forum represents as good a cross-section of the potential market as any. Let's assume that 10% of active JBL fans are aware of this site (I tend to think that this percentage is low). This includes many contented JBL owners that are interested in the background of their speakers but are not actively looking to purchase JBL products. Those that actively trade in JBL products tend to be members of this forum. So far, we have just under 1000 members. So maybe there are 10,000 people that would consider acquiring JBL products that have a legacy to their vintage designs. Of those, the vast majority are bargain hunters. These are people that are interested in DIY projects and vintage JBL systems because they can be had at a fraction of the cost of manufacture.

How many on this forum would be willing to spend $400 for a single new 2235? This driver is actually currently available and I have yet to hear of anyone on this forum that has bought one from JBL. Who would be willing to spend at least $15,000 for the equivalent of an updated 4350 (note that this was the price of the last JBL large format monitor - the DMS-1)? I would guess that there are less than 1000 people that would be interested in purchasing new versions of the products you are describing. To recoup the costs of development and marketing to such a small group, prices would be extremely high. This is why the 1500AL is sold for $2,000 a piece in Japan.

Personally, I would love to see JBL re-enter the high end market domestically, but I have to admit, I have a hard time seeing the economics of it being worthwhile.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Thread Information