Hi Greg

I really appreciate your input. Given your comments on the non linearity of PC's, the Scarlette 2i2 looks very attractive with its low cost (~$160 on Amazon). The mic remains an open question since I would now be moving away from the USB approach. The Cross Spectrum Labs products still look attractive as per pos's suggestion. They purchase mics, calibrate them and then resell the mics with their specific, individual calibration file.

Quote Originally Posted by gtimbers View Post
You need to be able to correct the Octave to Octave balance of your mic to less than 1/2 dB from 100 Hz to 10000 Hz.
To be honest, I am not clear on what this means. Is this something that calibration would take care of or a completely independent correction process? If the latter, is there a web resource you can point me towards to accomplish this?

Quote Originally Posted by gtimbers View Post
Your M2/Crown setup will come with the recommended crossover and EQ already configured. The configuration is for flat response in a chamber and is not correct for a listening room without some adjustment, particularly in the 400 Hz and below region. There are several views regarding EQ above 400 Hz or so. I have had very good results correcting things above 400 Hz if you know something about your loudspeakers directivity behaviour. I have a suggested in-room target shape which is not flat. I will publish my suggestion another day as I don't have the curves with me today.
I got some preliminary info from JBLPro about the in-room target shape they used for the system I auditioned at Northridge. As in your case, it is not flat. If I have remembered it correctly, it has a gentle shelving of the HF along with a gently rise in the LF response that corresponds with room response recommendations that Dr. Toole developed. They also optionally apply another shelving starting at around 3k if it is subjectively assessed that the midrange has a degree of harshness in a particular room. Other than this, the room tuning has been directed towards correcting room modes below 400 hz as you suggested. I hope to follow-up with Pro to gain the specific target settings used. Other than the shelving, I don't believe Pro hasn't been addressing the response above 400 hz so I am very keen to hear more details on your experience.

Thanks again for weighing in.

Don