Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: M2 Master Reference Monitor Purchase

Not sure if this has been posted previously, but attached is JBLPro's guide for setting up the M2/Crown system.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Don

Can't wait to see how you like them in your room and how flexible you find the DSP for the room EQ. Based on the DSP I have installed in a Crown XTI amp it should be quite impressive and intuitive once you get the hang of it. Download the Harman System Architect Software and just start playing around with it on your PC. If it's anything like the Band Manager HiQ net software you will be surprised at how user friendly it is.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Two more sleeps and they should be here!!!

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie View Post
    Two more sleeps and they should be here!!!
    Exciting!

Did you get a dedicated 20A circuit run?

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello Don

Can't wait to see how you like them in your room and how flexible you find the DSP for the room EQ. Based on the DSP I have installed in a Crown XTI amp it should be quite impressive and intuitive once you get the hang of it. Download the Harman System Architect Software and just start playing around with it on your PC. If it's anything like the Band Manager HiQ net software you will be surprised at how user friendly it is.

Rob
    I think it is excellent. The XTI is pretty cool for an order of magnitude less money. It will run most of the M2 configuration, there are a couple things it can't do and it does have fewer PEQ points. I'd have to choose it over the DBX 260 and separate amps. Unfortunately for the $999 DBX 260, it isn't as good as the $99 miniDSP.

Anyway, the IT HD is the current king of the hill, certainly more desirable than the arguably tragic ML/SDEC "solution".

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Did you get a dedicated 20A circuit run?
    No. $9 NEMA 5-20 to NEMA 5-15 adapters seemed way cheaper

Seriously, when I saw the 20A circuit requirement, it made me question the viability of this purchase. However, JBLPro told me that the use of adapters is all that they did for their soundroom setup and they have never blown a breaker. They also assured me that there is no safety issue with this kludge. Bottom line is that the Crown's output has so much headroom in this application that two of them should not draw in excess of 15 amps in a home environment. I do have a dedicated 15A circuit just for the two amps.

The other note that gave me pause in the setup document is the clear statement that there needs to be a separate "amp room" to isolate the fan noise. As you can see from the pics of my living room posted above, I have a dedicated equipment cabinet. I hope it provides enough sound isolation, but I won't know until I try. It is not designed for that purpose and has numerous air gaps to ensure proper ventilation that could allow enough noise leakage to be a problem. I have other options if it remains a problem, but they have issues of their own.

Don

Obsolete
    Worst case there might be replacement fans which are more quiet. I used to replace fans in my PC's with extremely quiet models and it was worth the effort. I can't imagine Crown going to the effort or expense of using the most quiet fan model given the originally intended application.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Worst case there might be replacement fans which are more quiet. I used to replace fans in my PC's with extremely quiet models and it was worth the effort. I can't imagine Crown going to the effort or expense of using the most quiet fan model given the originally intended application.
    If the noise is an issue and finding exact replacement fans is too difficult, ATM has a lot of inexpensive cooling system choices... most with thermocouples. You may be able to disconnect the internal fans and cool the amps externally.

http://www.activethermal.com/

Cheesy site and some of their products are obviously garage built, but they are effective and extremely reliable.

Widget

They're Heeeeerrrrrre!!

For now, just one crappy cell phone shot. I'll do some proper unboxing shots latter, but it might be a day or two before they're posted. I have to get to the parcel service just south of the US border (a 90 minute drive) that is holding all of the ancillary gear that I ordered from Amazon and Sweetwater. The last few pieces came in late yesterday so tonight is my first opportunity to get down there for a pickup and I'm not sure if my work schedule will allow me to get down there before it closes. If not, nothing much will happen until the weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

There is typically very little green in my disposition but I am feeling a bit envious now!

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie View Post
    For now, just one crappy cell phone shot. I'll do some proper unboxing shots latter, but it might be a day or two before they're posted. I have to get to the parcel service just south of the US border (a 90 minute drive) that is holding all of the ancillary gear that I ordered from Amazon and Sweetwater. The last few pieces came in late yesterday so tonight is my first opportunity to get down there for a pickup and I'm not sure if my work schedule will allow me to get down there before it closes. If not, nothing much will happen until the weekend.
    Nice.....

Stunning cartons Don. You must be thrilled.

work schedule? priorities, man...

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    work schedule? priorities, man...
    Yeah...!

you will not be disapointed

Awesome! We're living the thrill and excitement vicariously, looking forward to reading your experiences with these babies...

Thread Information