Thread: What paint to use on interior of JBL Paragon?

What paint to use on interior of JBL Paragon?

I have a non-factory JBL paragon type cabinet that I believe was professionally made in Hong Kong back in the 1960s or 1970s. The seller told me it is original but I have confirmed it is not. Nonetheless I think it's a good example and has the right drivers and crossovers already so I'm restoring it.

I'm wondering what is the right black paint for the interior? My example did not have the large folded horn interiors painted, the area visible from the front but behind the 375 metal horns. But I want to paint them to be closer to a factory cabinet. Photos I see online just looked like flat black but a friend of mine who has restored a Paragon told me it's semigloss black. So I'm trying to confirm. Couldn't find a definitive answer by google or this forum. Thanks for your help on my first post.

FYI, the main way (for me) to tell my cabinet is not a factory Paragon is that the front lip on the top surface is thicker than some. The front legs seems the same but the rear legs are different and the metal straps on the back that hold the two sections together are rectangles instead of bow tie shaped.

Cheers,
    Orion
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Cool project. Is it plywood or particle board? I assume the finish is lacquered walnut or mahogany.

I am not a Paragon expert, but would assume the originals used black nitrocellulose lacquer that was either flat or satin. Semi-gloss would be about the same as "rubbed effect" which approximates an oiled finish and is pretty shiny. Satin is probably your best bet.

Which woofers do yours have?

Widget

Hi Mr. Widget, thanks for your notes on nitrocellulose. I believe it's plywood throughout but will have to check. The back panels are plywood at least. I have it at a furniture shop for them to do it professionally. They told me the sides are walnut but the top is something else, I think they said cherry. But they will stain it to match the walnut. Right now it looks like someone added lacquer at a later date or some other coating applied non-professionally.

Drivers are LE15A, 375, 075. Just had the woofers refoamed (not reconed).

I think you're right on the satin. My friend who said semi-gloss, his even looks more like satin (eggshell?) with only a littel sheen. He also recommended it needs to be sprayed on instead of brushed on to not look streaky.

Adding here another photo of mine currently without horn interior black paint. And one of his, the good looking one. Name:  IMG_7045.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  46.5 KBName:  finished.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  101.5 KB

Thread Information