Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: M2 Master Reference Monitor Purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie View Post
    I have no illusions that an LSR 305 centre channel is in any way capable of keeping up with the M2 mains. It's just that I have no ability to place another M2 as a centre and I just can't resist the fun factor of playing around with a $129 Mini-Me version. At that price, it can fail entirely in that role and still have value as a silent M2 homage art work, displayed on top of my equipment cabinet. It would look cute as hell sandwiched in between its much more massive brethren.
    Well, now I just feel silly,

The 20 Hz low frequency extension, dynamic capabilities and low distortion of the M2 sounds like something out of this world. Was talking with my brother (who has Model 19) about your review this morning and we both agree that it's insane what JBL has pulled off with this fairly compact two way speaker, and we've decided we'll be going to Oslo together to get a demo – which shouldn't induce the usual fight of being in the sweetspot

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Just do it. Unbeatable bang for the buck.
    Quote Originally Posted by badman View Post
    Seconded- heard 308s at the heritage awards- very impressive indeed! I'm hoping to finagle a pair somehow, they'd be pretty slick combined with a minidsp and a big bass section
    Yes, now it's a matter of which and when, not if.

My feeling on center channels is you have to go with the same quality as the "mains" because most of what you're going to hear during a movie is going to come from that speaker. I just go with 4.0 (4.3 actually) and sit in the sweet spot. The other people in the room usually don't give a fig about sound anyway.

I really am tempted to try out a pair of those LSRs. What's the gereral consensus on which is the better speaker, the 305's or the 308's (assuming the presence of sub[s])?

Great write up Don. They look fantastic in your room and I am sure they sound even better. I hope to hear a pair someday.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    My feeling on center channels is you have to go with the same quality as the "mains" because most of what you're going to hear during a movie is going to come from that speaker. I just go with 4.0 (4.3 actually) and sit in the sweet spot. The other people in the room usually don't give a fig about sound anyway.

I really am tempted to try out a pair of those LSRs. What's the gereral consensus on which is the better speaker, the 305's or the 308's (assuming the presence of sub[s])?

I have a pair of 305s and the 310 sub coming next week to hook up to my office headphone amp's pre-outs. I will start a new thread when they arrive and give my impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    So I guess you finally changed your mind
    http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...ml#post3852473

Naw- I still think the profile pinches are unnecessary and was motivated by looks, and I still find the state of JBL's business dealings deplorable. Not unique but just because everyone's doing business the wrong way doesn't make it okay. The 308s sounded great though.

Mctwins
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie View Post
    Current setup pics.
    Hallo!

Don, you have a great system, just enjoy

I would try to toe them in a bit more and pull the speakers more to the center/middle, towards your desk so the speakers moves away from the sidewalls.

You can try and see how it sounds.

It looks like the right speaker is a little bit closer to the side wall than the left one, because of the heater.
    Moving the right speaker a little bit to the left might improve imaging, especially if your first specular reflection point at your listening position falls within the window area.

Congrats Don! Wonderful system.

Congrats!!!!

Congrats Don - I hope to post something like this myself someday. Until then I will listen vicariously through you :-)

On a related note, folks in New York City can now hear the M2 for themselves. The flagship Harman store on Madison Ave at 53rd (iirc) has M2's setup with a mixing board so you can play producer for a little while. I will post a more thorough review of the store and my brief time with M2's in another thread. But I wanted to give folks a heads-up that Harman has seen fit to put them into a high-traffic consumer space for all to hear.

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by gtimbers View Post
    I have a suggested in-room target shape which is not flat. I will publish my suggestion anotherday as I don't have the curves with me today.

This should be a fun project and you will end up with spectacular results.

Does anybody know if Mr. Timbers actually shared the target shape he talked about? Would love to try it out on the 67000s...

Wim

It's buried in the Forum in an unrelated thread. It's basically the Harman target curve. That would be an in room measurement.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Wim M View Post
    Does anybody know if Mr. Timbers actually shared the target shape he talked about? Would love to try it out on the 67000s...

Wim
    Remember that above ~500hz the shape is a result of the loudspeaker design, it's dispersion and the room interactions. If you change things above 500hz you are changing what Mr. Timbers wanted when he designed the loudspeaker. So when you say "target shape", this is a function of the loudspeaker design.

Below 500hz is another topic. The Synthesis target curve previously posted is a very good starting point. Google "Floyd Toole target curve" and find the articles where all of this is explained a lot better than I can

Thread Information