Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Turntables , Vinyl , Welcome back!

I can't remember 100%, but I don't think you can see and thus know for sure what's in there unless you open it up
    If you decide you want to sell, your best bet is to hook up with the LENCO guys or *epay

*just did a cursory search, the action is down right now dollars and cents wise, BUT they're all "cores" like yours (good cart, tip quantity undetermined)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    You have to take the body shell apart to change the stylus, the single screw.
    Also, try it with the heaviest arm you've got.
    What Neil Young track? "Needle and the Damage Done"?
    Yeah, afterwards I got to thinking that the screw and removing the case is the only way that makes sense, but had never seen that situation before. Wish I had seen your posted pic.

Never the less, I got it up & going w/o destroying the stylus. With these old non-close focusing eyes, that was a major accomplishment. The Empire seems a good match for my Rotel phono preamp.

Quite impressed with it's sound. I put the other shell with the V15T3 away in a safe place for a while.

will it really track down to 1/2 g ? It's just in the "S" arm on the PL-530. I think it's a slightly longer than normal one tho.

NY ? comes a time.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    will it really track down to 1/2 g ? It's just in the "S" arm on the PL-530. I think it's a slightly longer than normal one tho.
    IF it's got the right stylus in there (the "P") then theoretically yes
    Your housing plastic is green, so that's what should be in there but you can't know for sure until you do (know for sure)
    I'll look up that arm, but it's still going to be a medium to low mass if I remember
    1/2 would be awfully light (that's a pretty heavy cart)
    Try it, but just not on a record that is too valuable
    I'd be fine at 1 1/2 if it tracked the whole side well

Took a look at the Pioneer's owner's manual
    I think a 1/2 would be pushing it
    Where's your counterweight now? Hanging off the ass?
    Pioneer suggests using the aux weight for anything over 9.5 grams and that arm is built for being able to take on high compliance carts..............so
    Assuming you have the original head shell, I'd set it at 1 1/2
    Do you have the auxiliary weight?

Took a look at the Pioneer's owner's manual
    I think a 1/2 would be pushing it
    Where's your counterweight now? Hanging off the ass?
    Pioneer suggests using the aux weight for anything over 9.5 grams and that arm is built for being able to take on high compliance carts..............so
    Assuming you have the original head shell, I'd set it at 1 1/2
    Do you have the auxiliary weight?
    you were right. it's been so long since I'd read the manual & had a heavier cart loaded that I'd forgotten about the aux weight.

A used TT with all the accessories ? In my dreams only. (tho my Denon DL-60L did ..box, both arms/weights, all manuals and overhang guide, etc.)

So I tried to find something to screw in there to act as weight supplement, but no joy. Then I remembered my graveyard of parts from tables that were beyond repair from the past.
    I found another Pioneer counter weight the right diameter and seemed a bit heavier. OKAY, then search out "my hidden for safety" gram scale.
    The pl-530 original was 450g and the newly found was 490. Swapped them out and now the arm balances the 880P at 1.5g with no problems or aux weight.

Thanx for the bump in the right direction

you were right. it's been so long since I'd read the manual & had a heavier cart loaded that I'd forgotten about the aux weight.

A used TT with all the accessories ? In my dreams only. (tho my Denon DL-60L did ..box, both arms/weights, all manuals and overhang guide, etc.)

So I tried to find something to screw in there to act as weight supplement, but no joy. Then I remembered my graveyard of parts from tables that were beyond repair from the past.
    I found another Pioneer counter weight the right diameter and seemed a bit heavier. OKAY, then search out "my hidden for safety" gram scale.
    The pl-530 original was 450g and the newly found was 490. Swapped them out and now the arm balances the 880P at 1.5g with no problems or aux weight.

Thanx for the bump in the right direction
    Sounds good
    I wasn't saying you HAD to use an aux weight, was wondering if you had needed to was all (if your main weight was hanging off the ass)
    The thread and pitch slips my mind right this second, but the Technics arms accept a machine screw thread you can find at any hardware store, most Jap arms do and you can make them up if you ever need/want to
    Your weight in a good spot now? Before?

How's it sound at 1 1/2?

Sounds good
    I wasn't saying you HAD to use an aux weight, was wondering if you had needed to was all (if your main weight was hanging off the ass)
    The thread and pitch slips my mind right this second, but the Technics arms accept a machine screw thread you can find at any hardware store, most Jap arms do and you can make them up if you ever need/want to
    Your weight in a good spot now? Before?

How's it sound at 1 1/2?
    well yes, with the long arm and the heavier cart, the counter weight was barely hanging on the 'ass end" . I did a 10 minute search thru a bolt collection for just some raw weight bolt, but nothing fit. Remembering the old pile of TT parts hadn't crossed my mind. finding a correct diameter and heavier CW was a long shot that came thru.

Stupidly, when I mounted the 880p and attached in arm , looked at the 2g already set on CW and thot it was fine ...duh. Was so happy to get it in the shell w/o breaking stylus that I forgot the balance was NOW completely wrong : IE ..it was sure tracking at a lot more than 2g.

Anyway, after I'd regained my senses (prodded by your post), I tried re balance but was running out of arm. Guess I could have added washers or something, but that wud have been an ugly mess.

I do have a little adjustment room now, tho hope to never need it.

Shud prolly get a scale in there to double check, but I'm pretty sure it's at an accurate 1.5g now. YES , it does sound good and I'll give the V15T3 a vacation for a while and enjoy the Empire.

Stupidly, when I mounted the 880p and attached in arm , looked at the 2g already set on CW and thot it was fine .
    You know, when I first read your story it kind of came across that way and I started to post a "you do know, right?" sort of question just to make sure.
    Then I though, nah, this guy knows what's up and'll think I'm just being a wise ass
    But it kind of nagged at me because I didn't know how literally to interpret this:
    ..I left it at 2.
    Glad the needle conversation stimulated the memory
    Kind of shit is happening to me more and more lately too; sometimes not so fun

Kind of shit is happening to me more and more lately too; sometimes not so fun
    Just an increasing common CRS attack

My big living room system with the 250ti's has a complex wiring situation. last week a CL buyer
    asked if he could get a demo. I tried for 3 minutes, couldn't remember how to power it all on ..

BUT, I can remember my phone number from when a 7 y.o.

got that TT running right now, sounds good. I like the big Denon DD tables, but this 530 sounds
    just fine and a full automatic is a good fix for "not always steady" hands.

The bedroom/mancave system is the Pioneer TT , 2 minidisk decks, an ARCAM CD running through an ADCOM pre into an ADCOM GFA-555 into ADS L-1290 towers (and 2 10 inch subs) in a 14x24 room.

or alternatively , BD and DVD players thru a Denon AVR to same speakers.

Just an increasing common CRS attack

My big living room system with the 250ti's has a complex wiring situation. last week a CL buyer
    asked if he could get a demo. I tried for 3 minutes, couldn't remember how to power it all on ..

BUT, I can remember my phone number from when a 7 y.o.

got that TT running right now, sounds good. I like the big Denon DD tables, but this 530 sounds
    just fine and a full automatic is a good fix for "not always steady" hands.

The bedroom/mancave system is the Pioneer TT , 2 minidisk decks, an ARCAM CD running through an ADCOM pre into an ADCOM GFA-555 into ADS L-1290 towers (and 2 10 inch subs) in a 14x24 room.

or alternatively , BD and DVD players thru a Denon AVR to same speakers.
    I had a DENON flying saucer deck, a DP-62L, beautiful table with the servo arm
    I sold it, too much electronics on those DENONS
    I'd rather have your "60" than a "62" but even that "60" has more crap on it than I like
    I might have kept my DENON if it had the conventional S arm like yours
    I like those servo DDs (no quartz lock, like first generation Technics) or the SONY system with only one or two chips on the boards
    This one's a winner, it's a "60" too! I snagged it for peanuts at the local thrift (wouldn't work and the arm lift was frozen)
    You could tell it was an original owner donation
    Came with a SHURE V15 Type IV
    One of the rare ones, set down adjust tool, 45 adapter and aux weight all still with the table
    I re-capped the boards last Summer when I re-capped my Son's Technics
    It's perfect except the original owner's DL# is engraved right on the front fascia trim piece............dumb ass
    I love it, not too hot and not too cold with all of the electronic bull shit. I am happy it was this one and not the TOTL just above it (motorized arm lift and all of that happy horse shit to cry over when it stops working and the parts are NLA)

http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-PS-X60.html
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duaH2kHSmlM

I'd rather have your "60" than a "62" but even that "60 has more crap on it than I like
    I might have kept my DENON if it had the conventional S arm like yours
    Mine came with 2 arms (and matching CW's) ... everybody kept telling me how the straight arm
    sounds so much better, so I put an identical cart in that and gave it a listen. Ended up going back
    to the "S". But that's in the LR system that I can't remember how to power up

I upped the 880p to 2g ..seems happier there . On a VG+ LP it was sticking, like on a scratched surface.
    At 2 , it doesn't.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mine came with 2 arms (and matching CW's) ... everybody kept telling me how the straight arm
    sounds so much better, so I put an identical cart in that and gave it a listen. Ended up going back
    to the "S". But that's in the LR system that I can't remember how to power up

I upped the 880p to 2g ..seems happier there . On a VG+ LP it was sticking, like on a scratched surface.
    At 2 , it doesn't.
    Nice stuff
    On your Pioneer/Empire combo you should really try to find a scale to make sure it's "OK"
    Did the heavier counterweight pick it up (the extra mass) by being longer or having a larger outside diameter?
    At 1 1/2 grams that thing shouldn't be getting hung up on top of the groove (unless old age has made the compliance like rock hard) How about the bias? Where you got that?

You set the overhang or just eyeball it?

well, that brings up the Q ?

is the gram scale on a CW valid for a different arm ?
    the g markings are closer together than the OEM CW.

as I'm typing this ,,, thinking most likely not ?

I don't like Pioneers method of weighing ... go to MANUAL
    then put arm off the lift -over platter- then pull the power plug so rotation stops,
    and now you can put scale on platter. (since rotation starts auto when arm moves over it)

well, that brings up the Q ?

is the gram scale on a CW valid for a different arm ?
    the g markings are closer together than the OEM CW.

as I'm typing this ,,, thinking most likely not ?

I don't like Pioneers method of weighing ... go to MANUAL
    then put arm off the lift -over platter- then pull the power plug so rotation stops,
    and now you can put scale on platter. (since rotation starts auto when arm moves over it)
    You should check out my SONY if the Pioneer bugs you (but at least I have a switch up top, don't have to unplug, although I do ANYWAY just to make damn sure I don't an oops moment)

As far as that weight? That's why I asked. I really shouldn't speculate as I have no way of knowing what the other arm had going on. But I've set up enough tables I could tell pretty close if I were there to actually lay hands.
    Japanese tables (and especially within a specific brand's model line-up, you know, the groupings) were pretty good about sharing the basic specs but it would be irresponsible and foolish of me to even pretend to answer that question

As for your gram scale, as it should be, 'cause it's a heavier weight; doesn't have to move as much to apply as much (or counteract depending on your point of view). And it probably does translate just fine BUT the only way to confirm that is going to be with a scale; again, I have no idea what that weight was counterbalancing in it's former life

It should be close IF you zeroed out the arm well BUT I have no way of knowing with the information I (don't) have

I'm going to shame you now, why the hell don't you have a SHURE balance beam? It's $20 bucks

And don't let 'em bull shit you into a chinese piece of shit digital scale, that old SHURE balance beam is just fine

Fine as wine and smooth as silk (and it doesn't require batteries)

Those digital scales that everybody just loves, the hot ticket? Well they ain't worth their weight in shit in my world unless they come supplied with a CERTIFIED calibration weight with which to check and zero the scale, and preferably TWO weights.
    Anybody that ever owned a Harbor Freight DVOM (I've got TWO) knows that. Then there's the matter that most of them make no provision or tell the customer how and where to set the scale up and take the measurement ('cause most of the ones I've seen are just labelled for the use (tonearm), just re-purposed cheap crap...............so, get your ass on Amazon or somewhere and order up that beam dude!

You know, I only have one. I wish I had bought a few and just put them away. I think the price has gone up a bit with the Vinyl Revival goin' on. Used to be $20 bucks out the door until not too long ago
    Been around for about a million years, now all of a sudden "everybody" says it's no good. Fine then, anybody have one that doesn't want it, please forward one to SEAWOLF97 ASAP and the rest to me. Thank You!:
    http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SFG-2-St.../dp/B00006I5SD

Thread Information