Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Turntables , Vinyl , Welcome back!

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Cool link, DavidF. If it was late '71, I would have been 10 then. When it was still fun to go to a record store.

J.A.F.S.

Boots

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    thanx for that DF. I'm still digging through stacks of vinyl, but it's not as cheap or varied or condition as that in the flick. 1972= Long side burns, YUP, loud stripes on pants YUP plus my Harness boots (tho I did cut the rings & straps off)

Our Portland Tower is now a mattress store, guess Tower didn't need that much room to store digital downloads today
    You mean CIVIL WAR boots!

YeeeeHAWWW!
    The South Shall Rise Agin!
    (did I just say that??)
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by loach71 View Post
    You mean CIVIL WAR boots!

YeeeeHAWWW!
    The South Shall Rise Agin!
    (did I just say that??)
    Hey now ....
    furthest South I've been is Sandy Eggo , (or IV corps ...depending on your perspective )
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thumbs up a pretty good "everything turntable" web site

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Hi all , this is a split from the thread in the general marketplace. I've had the Boss open up this as a separate thread to allow a more open and full discussion of turntables , vinyl and so on.

We have been talking about variants of Linn LP12 , I'll do a summary of that soon but feel free to pitch in impressions of others as you see fit.

Later on I have a wee project in mind that might fly , or not depending on the interest from the community.
    After a long wait and search, I've come to get hold of Linn LP12 fitted with SME S2 Improved (cartridge Shure V15 type iii).
    Please see attached pictures. The deck is in excellent condition, with its serial 50648, and very rare afromosia wood.
    Professionally examined and set up by an authorized Linn dealer, it sounds just great from my JBL 4343.
    I've chosen this particular LP12 and SME tonearm because it's such a great match with jazz, my favorite music.
    Thanks a million, Mac, for your continued support and advice on my pursuit of this great turntable!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by pyonc View Post
    After a long wait and search, I've come to get hold of Linn LP12 fitted with SME S2 Improved (cartridge Shure V15 type iii).
    http://best-turntables.com/shure-v15-series-explained/

Thanks for the info.
    For the same reason I use only this particular cartridge and stylus (MM), though there are very pricy high-end brands.

Quote Originally Posted by pyonc View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    For the same reason I use only this particular cartridge and stylus (MM), though there are very pricy high-end brands.
    I use the V-15T3 daily. Also have a V-15VXLM (?) on the big Denon DP-60L. I like V-15's too.
    a Denon DL-160 high output MC on the Denon DP-45F.

Had a MC DL-103 (on Mac's recommendation) , it's quite nice too.

I use the V-15T3 daily. Also have a V-15VXLM (?) on the big Denon DP-60L. I like V-15's too.
    a Denon DL-160 high output MC on the Denon DP-45F.

Had a MC DL-103 (on Mac's recommendation) , it's quite nice too.
    Glad to know we have something in common here!
    On Mac's recommedation, I've also purchased DL-103R like you, but haven't tested it yet.
    I'm waiting for a phono preamp (Parasound Zphono) to test this high-end cartridge in the near future.

Well it's been a long road but your Linn looks really nice , clean and square all over. I bet you are delighted.
    Enjoy !!

The Dl103 and variants is a fairly heavy cartridge , you will want to add some mass to the counterweight to bring it closer to the pivot. There is an added mass SME weight but you will struggle to find one . The simple solution is to add a £2 coin to the back of the std counterweight using fresh Blu Tack.
    Using the SME tracking force proceedure , set static balance and then set downforce as required. OR use scales.

You will not find a bad review of the 103R , poor man's Koetsu. All those 103 Denons have superb bass.

Nice pics BTW

M

The Dl103 and variants is a fairly heavy cartridge , you will want to add some mass to the counterweight to bring it closer to the pivot. There is an added mass SME weight but you will struggle to find one . The simple solution is to add a £2 coin to the back of the std counterweight using fresh Blu Tack.
    Using the SME tracking force proceedure , set static balance and then set downforce as required. OR use scales.

You will not find a bad review of the 103R , poor man's Koetsu. All those 103 Denons have superb bass.

M
    I got my DL103 from a guy in Spain on eBay ...he was fast & cheap.

Don't recall where I read it ..enclosed sheet or where, but recommended was to set tracking force at 2 grams and anti-skate the same. After abt 6 months of bliss, I noticed the stylus was canted to one side and in an attempt to fix that, well ... I un-fixed that , permanently. A re-tip would cost as much as a new cartridge.
    While I was contemplating my options, Mr. W's V-15VXLM came along and I grabbed it and so never returned to the 103 problem. And then that system is out in the livingroom and seldom used. My bedroom system (room is 14x24) with the V-15T3 (and a/d/s towers) gets most playing time.

moral ... set anti-skating at 0 (zero) if at all possible.

J.A.F.S.

Nice turntable and tonearm!

I have used SME tonearms since the early 1970s. They have always served me well. I did find one upgrade that made a large improvement in sonic quality when using the SME tonearms -- the SME F. D. 200 fluid damper kit. For your perusal, I have attached an Adobe Acrobat PDF file which contains the scan of the F. D. 200 fluid damper kit user's manual.

The F. D. 200 is available on EBay and from SME.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

Well it's been a long road but your Linn looks really nice , clean and square all over. I bet you are delighted.
    Enjoy !!

Nice pics BTW

M
    Thanks, Mac. Yes, I'm delighted.
    As for the DL-103R, it's certainly one of the best MC with rave reviews, and I bet your recommendation is quite correct.
    For the time being, I am going to enjoy with Shure V15, but when I switch to DL-103R, I'll certainly keep in mind your advice here.

Quote Originally Posted by loach71 View Post
    I have used SME tonearms since the early 1970s. They have always served me well. I did find one upgrade that made a large improvement in sonic quality when using the SME tonearms -- the SME F. D. 200 fluid damper kit. For your perusal, I have attached an Adobe Acrobat PDF file which contains the scan of the F. D. 200 fluid damper kit user's manual.

The F. D. 200 is available on EBay and from SME.
    Glad to know you're a SME lover like me.
    Aside from your mention of FD 200 fluid damper, which is new to me,
    I keep reading some improvement in sound when you replace nylon knife-edge bearing with a steel or bronze one.
    I'm not sure if it's true... Have you anything to say on this?

moral ... set anti-skating at 0 (zero) if at all possible.
    Hummmm.... I'm puzzled. Can you explain why you set it at 0?
    The Linn dealer recommends setting it to 1, which corresponds to the current tracking force of Shure V15 fitted into the tonearm.
    According to the SME manual, it actually says "Place the nylon loop in the groove corresponding to the tracking force used."

Thread Information