Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 362

Thread: Turntables , Vinyl , Welcome back!

  1. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I got my V-15 VXLM here (thx Mr.W) ....it has an interesting setup helper.

    it includes a template (for lack of better term) ... that doubles as a secure holder when in the box and a great guide.
    You mount the cartridge in the headshell , but don't tighten down the securing bolts. Remove stylus and snap cart into the guide/template. The other end has holes that go over the spindle.
    One for inner tracks and one for outer.
    You place the guide over the spindle and it rotates and sets overhang for the cart. Then tighten down the bolts/screws , remove guide and reinstall stylus.

    it set mine just a little non-parallel with the side of the shell , and sounds perfect.

    I found a pic on ebay:

    Hello,
    Do you know if SHURE continued to offer this style of set up jig for the V15 Type-IV as well?

    Thank you

  2. #47
    Senior Member SEAWOLF97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    PDX, 容gon
    Posts
    9,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    Hello,
    Do you know if SHURE continued to offer this style of set up jig for the V15 Type-IV as well?

    Thank you
    I do NOT believe that they did. The type V is a little smaller and fits into it's jig like a molded piece of clay. Someone else relayed that it didn't even work on the type V's , but only on the later VX.. series. Not positive, tho.
    Sure wish there was one for T3's , but I've been pretty successful just doing it by sight, I think.

    The Denon DP-60L included an overhang gauge , and that helped. Better to check with the forums at http://www.vinylengine.com/tools.shtml
    I'm getting tired of Winning ....

  3. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I do NOT believe that they did. The type V is a little smaller and fits into it's jig like a molded piece of clay. Someone else relayed that it didn't even work on the type V's , but only on the later VX.. series. Not positive, tho.
    Sure wish there was one for T3's , but I've been pretty successful just doing it by sight, I think.

    The Denon DP-60L included an overhang gauge , and that helped. Better to check with the forums at http://www.vinylengine.com/tools.shtml

    That's what I thought as well unfortunately.

    I have tried many advanced protractors and methods over the years, including the popular arc types. Sometimes the very simple seems to work out best overall.
    Never had very confidence inspiring results with my old Geo Disc but I have had excellent results, especially with inner groove playback when using the incredibly simply Technic's "52mm and keep it straight" technique on Technic's arms of course. Another little plastic user friendly set up jig.

    That is why the prospect of such a minimalist approach would be very attractive to me to give a go with my Type IV if such a gauge existed.

  4. #49
    Senior Member pyonc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    700
    Hi Mac,

    These are the pics. Wish I posted enlarge ones but couldn't.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

  5. #50
    Senior Member SEAWOLF97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    PDX, 容gon
    Posts
    9,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    . I have had excellent results, especially with inner groove playback when using the incredibly simply Technic's "52mm and keep it straight" technique on Technic's arms of course. Another little plastic user friendly set up jig...
    Oh I understand. Generally I put on a clip-on overhand gauge and then make sure I "keep it straight",
    but the T-5 jig gave it a 2 or 3 degree yaw. (to the inside)
    I'm getting tired of Winning ....

  6. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    the T-5 jig gave it a 2 or 3 degree yaw. (to the inside)
    As will any number of the arc protractors

    Takes a little getting used to, looks so unnatural. I've had good results with some, not so much with others

    In the instance cited regarding my Technics it did not sound as well, the protractor which also gave me that "yaw", but that is just one table and one arm

    Still, I just seem to feel better about things when all is nice and square

    I know it makes no absolute objective point, but one's psychological state can have a dramatic effect on perceived sound quality!

    Glad there are more than one set of alignment points to choose from!

  7. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    760
    Over on vinyl engine they have plenty of print out protectors that work just as good and are free, lol. That's what I use.

    I've heard many a table old to new, cheap to over 20 grand. I'll keep my thorens td124. Its not the quietest table in the world but it sure sounds good. I removed the suspensions springs and mounted it to a 50 pound mdf plinth. No problems there. I use a audiomods tonearm on it. I'm set for life with it. As for cartridges I has a obsession with shibata stylus carts. I currently run a nagaoka tonar 555. Its not a fancy lomc, just a uncool moving magnet. But the cantilever is made of carbon. Even the stylus is made of silicon carbide. I can't recommend the cart enough. Also if your looking for a relatively cheap phono preamp that sounds good, look at a rek-o-kut professional phono pre. Its less then 100 bucks. Its fully discrete architecture. Its sounds way better then it should for being around $75.

    One day I do plan on spend some real money on a phono cartridge, something on par with the table I have. I plan on putting a London Decca super gold on it. It fits the vide of the table, like an old triumph motor cycle. They need some work to get the running right but when they do, they really do.


    I only use 2 sources, vinyl and a emotiva cd player. The cd player doesn't see much action though. I've already gone through a couple oil changes on the table though. Its got over 100000 miles on it and still going strong, lol.

    Nick

    P.S. If you need a stylus cleaner don't spend big bucks on the audiophile junk. Go and buy yourself a mister clean magic eraser. I was amazed at how well they work. I examined the stylus before and after cleaning under a microscope and was quite surprised. You use the eraser dry and just lightly run it across the need in the same direction the record spins. No residue and no grime left. And all for a couple bucks.

  8. #53
    Senior Member SEAWOLF97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    PDX, 容gon
    Posts
    9,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    Still, I just seem to feel better about things when all is nice and square I know it makes no absolute objective point, but one's psychological state can have a dramatic effect on perceived sound quality! Glad there are more than one set of alignment points to choose from!
    well, you could just get a "P-mount" cartridge/table and be done with it all. B4 you say "yeah, but there ain't no good P-mounts", I did have a P mount Technics M2 , a close cousin of the SP-10 ..AND (at a different time) had a V15P. The rare P version of the V15T3. It came with the CD4 adapter and was used as a CD4. (and thus completely negating the advantages of P mount)

    Quote Originally Posted by NickH View Post
    Over on vinyl engine they have plenty of print out protectors that work just as good and are free, lol. That's what I use. I've heard many a table old to new, cheap to over 20 grand. I'll keep my thorens td124. Its not the quietest table in the world but it sure sounds good. I removed the suspensions springs and mounted it to a 50 pound mdf plinth. No problems there. I use a audiomods tonearm on it. I'm set for life with it. As for cartridges I has a obsession with shibata stylus carts. I currently run a nagaoka tonar 555. Its not a fancy lomc, just a uncool moving magnet. But the cantilever is made of carbon. Even the stylus is made of silicon carbide. I can't recommend the cart enough. Also if your looking for a relatively cheap phono preamp that sounds good, look at a rek-o-kut professional phono pre. Its less then 100 bucks. Its fully discrete architecture. Its sounds way better then it should for being around $75. One day I do plan on spend some real money on a phono cartridge, something on par with the table I have. I plan on putting a London Decca super gold on it. It fits the vide of the table, like an old triumph motor cycle. They need some work to get the running right but when they do, they really do. I only use 2 sources, vinyl and a emotiva cd player. The cd player doesn't see much action though. I've already gone through a couple oil changes on the table though. Its got over 100000 miles on it and still going strong, lol. Nick P.S. If you need a stylus cleaner don't spend big bucks on the audiophile junk. Go and buy yourself a mister clean magic eraser. I was amazed at how well they work. I examined the stylus before and after cleaning under a microscope and was quite surprised. You use the eraser dry and just lightly run it across the need in the same direction the record spins. No residue and no grime left. And all for a couple bucks.
    Lots of good points there , Nick.Thanx

    I have my Denon DP-60L on a slab of marble now. Oh yes, all 3 of my CD players have been replaced by Panasonic DVD players that have the 24/192 DAC's. Really perks up red book.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I'm getting tired of Winning ....

  9. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    well, you could just get a "P-mount" cartridge/table and be done with it all. B4 you say "yeah, but there ain't no good P-mounts", I did have a P mount Technics M2 , a close cousin of the SP-10 ..AND (at a different time) had a V15P. The rare P version of the V15T3. It came with the CD4 adapter and was used as a CD4. (and thus completely negating the advantages of P mount)



    Lots of good points there , Nick.Thanx

    I have my Denon DP-60L on a slab of marble now. Oh yes, all 3 of my CD players have been replaced by Panasonic DVD players that have the 24/192 DAC's. Really perks up red book.

    I'm not such a bigot (or snob) as to discount any deck simply because it's arm just happens to be a "P" mount. On the contrary, the theory behind "P" mount is very sound. Just not that many high quality decks built that employed the design as you have already inferred. Another excellent idea that never saw it's true potential realized thanks to bad concurrent development (timing) with the CD.

    The tables, and their arms, I already own all just happen to be the industry standard 1/2 inch types and I am very happy with them all.

    No plans for any new acquisitions in the "P" mount turntable department unless I stumble upon some fantastic deal such as a thrift store or garage sale orphan for next to nothing. A.K.A. a bargain hunter's "home run" type legendary score.

    My complaints with some more specialized, or less common, alignment schemes' results as they work out with various arms that I just happen to own are divided roughly 1/2 and 1/2 as I have mentioned, between actual performance and the other simply aesthetic (psychological). I can live with Baerwald and manufacturer specific schemes well enough when I have to!

    As long as the sound is nice.

    Even when theoretically better alternatives are available.

  10. #55
    Senior Member DavidF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Jose CA
    Posts
    909

    Tower Records circa 1971

    Here is a short video covering the experience of a Tower Records store on Sunset Blvd., 1971. Vinyl everywhere, of course. Oh, and some 8-Tracks. I didn't have anything like the size of Tower in that time frame back in Louisville but I can still relate to the imagery. Long side burns, loud stripes on pants, Schwann record & tape catalogs, and the smell of fresh vinyl. Among other aromas.

    I have to give credit to veteran poster canyonman at the Klipsch forum for the original head's up on this video.


    https://archive.org/details/casacsh_000018
    David F
    San Jose

  11. #56
    Senior Member SEAWOLF97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    PDX, 容gon
    Posts
    9,028
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Here is a short video covering the experience of a Tower Records store on Sunset Blvd., 1971. Vinyl everywhere, of course. Oh, and some 8-Tracks. I didn't have anything like the size of Tower in that time frame back in Louisville but I can still relate to the imagery. Long side burns, loud stripes on pants, Schwann record & tape catalogs, and the smell of fresh vinyl. Among other aromas.

    I have to give credit to veteran poster canyonman at the Klipsch forum for the original head's up on this video.


    https://archive.org/details/casacsh_000018
    thanx for that DF. I'm still digging through stacks of vinyl, but it's not as cheap or varied or condition as that in the flick. 1972= Long side burns, YUP, loud stripes on pants YUP plus my Harness boots (tho I did cut the rings & straps off)

    Our Portland Tower is now a mattress store, guess Tower didn't need that much room to store digital downloads today
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I'm getting tired of Winning ....

  12. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Here is a short video covering the experience of a Tower Records store on Sunset Blvd., 1971. Vinyl everywhere, of course. Oh, and some 8-Tracks. I didn't have anything like the size of Tower in that time frame back in Louisville but I can still relate to the imagery. Long side burns, loud stripes on pants, Schwann record & tape catalogs, and the smell of fresh vinyl. Among other aromas.

    I have to give credit to veteran poster canyonman at the Klipsch forum for the original head's up on this video.


    https://archive.org/details/casacsh_000018

    Hard to pin down EXACTLY when that film was made, '70 or '71 despite what the page indicated (I loved it, thank you!)

    "All Things Must Pass" came out sometime in late November; I remember it well as it had been postponed numerous times and I was dying for it! Right on the heels of the Beatles breaking up officially and during the period of denial "they'll get back together".

    That store in the video seemed to have plenty of copies! But I notice no signs of Christmas marketing? My point/question is that judging from the number of copies they were unboxing and the fact I could see no signs of Christmas anywhere I'm going to assume one of two things.
    I've forgotten how it was to live in a world where the Halloween stuff isn't already out on display in August and or that particular location of Tower must have sold a shit load of that album!

    That sure looked like an initial, "new release" order of an ex-Beatle title to me and "McCartney" was still out in large supply (released April of 1970)

    Didn't notice "Ram" either, released May of '71

    "All Things Must Pass" released November 27, 1970.........just in time for Christmas

    "No Dice" is also in one scene, another November 1970 release.............?

    I just can't get over the number of copies they had in what appears to be a single order of "All Things Must Pass" is all.

    And the fact that this reminded of some time the likes of which we will probably never see again! Can you believe all the classics that were all out on the shelves, in QUANTITY from that variety of artists and styles, all at the same time!

    Would love to know exactly when it was

  13. #58
    Senior Member SEAWOLF97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    PDX, 容gon
    Posts
    9,028

    Question sellers gettin' a little greedy on quality vintage TT's

    I'm getting tired of Winning ....

  14. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,619
    And you know what? He'll probably get that or at least close to it and I'll be damned if I know why.

    A friend of mine who owns a pawn and loan business gave me a DP-62L back in the '90s

    It was flawless except one of the (4) counterweights was missing in action and I was able to find that (was still available back in the '90s new, from authorized parts suppliers) Tri-Tronic I think it was.

    Anyway, it came with ALL of the arm wand options, owners manual, box and foam inserts, everything

    A time capsule

    For starters, those gorgeous wood bases are just veneered pieces of whatever, they are NOT as solid as the illusion would have you believe (and that veneer is VERY fragile); very cheaply made except for the skin. The bottom of the table was nothing more than a very thin piece of press board held in place with tiny wood screws, just one big resonator..........my point is that even though the DD part of those table may have been "state of the art" at the time and some may go for the flying saucer aesthetic, the build quality isn't even that of a Technic SL-xxxx series deck.
    The base is VERY reminiscent to those found on the old Garrard Type "A" and similar tables; just a lightweight hollow box, '50s style.
    But more aggravating than that was the fact that I could never get my example to sound worth a damn. I followed Denon's set-up to the letter, then after that fiddled and fiddled, tried (3) different cartridges and finally just sold the thing (got a good price) to the Sound Well in Berkeley and bought myself my first REGA.

    I know a LOT of people LOVE those decks and maybe the one I had was just a bad example. But whether is was or it wasn't, it was in brand new condition. I see some folks mount them in heavy do it yourself plinths like the "301" crowd. Maybe that's the answer, but too much work for me.
    AND that table has about 20 ICs in it.

    The SONY'S from that same time period will trounce the Demons sound quality wise, just don't have the cool look and all the space age buttons and logic circuits

    Those Denons bring GOOD money though? Maybe I was just too stupid to figure out how to set one up?

  15. #60
    Senior Member SEAWOLF97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    PDX, 容gon
    Posts
    9,028

    here is an interesting one

    .
    http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/4780248846.html

    I'll copy text for posterity //

    Well, this is a weird turntable that will need some explaining so I'll do my best.

    This is a Sota Gem turntable. Sota still makes high-end turntable. Their "cheapest" current model is $750 though most are between the $3k to $10k range.

    When I first acquired the turntable four or five years ago, the drive motor was a tad loud. I contacted Sota to see if they sold repair parts and they couldn't find the turntable in their records. After a few days I got a call from their head technician and after describing the TT to him he said it was probably one of (or maybe the first) model they ever sold. Someone contracted them to manufacture the turntable for them. This was before they had their own line of turntables. It's probably a little piece of Sota history.

    So it definitely is an audiophile turntable and as such is probably best at home with a person who knows about setting up and maintaining high end turntables. It's a bit finicky and needs to be set-up whenever it's moved, but it you've done that before you know it's not a bit deal.

    It has a new motor (maybe 20 hours on it) and is dead silent. The old built-in RCA and ground cable has been removed and replaced with RCA outputs which is definitely an upgrade. It is belt driven and the actual turntable is completely isolated from the base by springs which suspend it from the main body. The table is not affected AT ALL by bumps or loud speakers in the room. No feedback. No hum. No nothing. It has a Grace tonearm (not sure what model. Hopefully you can identify from the pics) and an Oyster Blue cartridge/stylus. The tone-arm drop is the most dampened drop I have ever seen. It has a finicky 33 to 45 RPM switch that physically moves the drive belt to a different step on the platter to change speeds. It doesn't work great, but I never used it so it didn't bother me. It does work however.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I'm getting tired of Winning ....

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Modern Turntables
    By Hoerninger in forum General Audio Discussion
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 12-26-2009, 09:05 AM
  2. Really good turntables?
    By midlife in forum Miscellaneous Gear
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-26-2009, 10:57 AM
  3. Empire Turntables
    By fotodan in forum Miscellaneous Gear
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-17-2007, 03:47 AM
  4. Advice ...........Again. This time its Turntables
    By SUPERBEE in forum Miscellaneous Gear
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-26-2006, 05:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •