Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast

Thread: Turntables , Vinyl , Welcome back!

RE "Buy yourself something , finished a lot of work, deserve reward."

Yup, I vote for that too, big time! That tax year was worst ever, paperwork wise. But getting some $$ helps reduce the pain in the...

Non-essentials are closed here so the reward(s) will have to wait for reopening, sniff. However, I'm open for business re acquisition suggestions! Speakers, amps and cartridges have many of those, don't really need more right now, tho I have an extra headshell in a box.

In the meantime I still have the Behringer DEQ 24/96 Ultracurve that I haven't had time to play with...

Thought about buying the professional Aphex Aural Exciter with "Big Bottom" but it seems to be discontinued now Have an exciter from Rolls, little use, its OK, but the magic (effect) isn't as outstanding as I was (overly) expecting? Maybe Grado phones and cart also?

Since I have a little of squirrel blood, I'll probably put 1K aside and spend the other 1K at that time.

In recent e-mails my dealer got news about Beyer Dynamic demo phones I want to try: "In the present context Beyer cannot offer demo, we'll continue this when things are back to normal." So I understand that Beyer did not say no to providing demos, they said not now, therefore still hope for later...

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    RE "Buy yourself something , finished a lot of work, deserve reward."

Thought about buying the professional Aphex Aural Exciter with "Big Bottom" but it seems to be discontinued now Have an exciter from Rolls, little use, its OK, but the magic (effect) isn't as outstanding as I was (overly) expecting? Maybe Grado phones and cart also?

In recent e-mails my dealer got news about Beyer Dynamic demo phones I want to try: "In the present context Beyer cannot offer demo, we'll continue this when things are back to normal." So I understand that Beyer did not say no to providing demos, they said not now, therefore still hope for later...

"In the present context Beyer cannot offer demo, we'll continue this when things are back to normal."

Oh , just demo over the phone (or online), that's the solution to everything now.

I have the Carver version of that exciter , it was fun .. but I think it will get pulled and replaced with my old standby Hughes SRS.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

RE "Oh , just demo over the phone (or online), that's the solution to everything now."

Thanks a lot for that one. My LOUD laugh of the day!

Yup, everything taking place over the phone/net now, even doctor's appointments...

Imagine if Cov-19 spreaded over phone lines or the Net! The whole planet is "bankrupt" and we're all alone like orphans... I couldn't even look at your Avatar pics, the end of the world, I'd simply jump off the bridge, adios cruel world... lol

Imagine if Cov-19 spreaded over phone lines or the Net! The whole planet is "bankrupt" and we're all alone like orphans... I couldn't even look at your Avatar pics, the end of the world, I'd simply jump off the bridge, adios cruel world... lol
    OH, you didn't know ,, it's spread by 5G cell towers.

5G-coronavirus conspiracy theory spurs rash of telecom tower arson fires

https://fortune.com/2020/04/06/5g-co...m-tower-fires/

RE "it's spread by 5G cell towers."

Oh boy! Some parts of the universe might need a realignment... Though seen on the news some folks are already getting in their doomsday underground shelters, in South Dakota I think. Don't have one of those...

On the other hand I'm still on 3G Cellphone so I don't worry much about 5G towers.

I'm not sure Carver's Sonic Hologram Generator is same or similar to the Aphex.

If I recall correctly the Carver is about imaging, spaciousness, depth king of thing.

The Aphex is about harmonics, brightness, clarity, presence; plus the Big Bottom effect.

A while back Aphex had some interesting products (1rst pic). However, they seem to have downsized and now their list of products looks rather thin, plus the Exciter discontinued according to my search (read they sold close to a million Exciters).

On 2nd pic, top left, there's a description of the Aural Exciter process.

Third pic (previously posted in my BGW thread) shows the Aphex Aural Exciter makes nice different size pies, as well as cute bottom too, those are major product differences... LOL

Name:  IMG_1331.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  136.5 KBName:  IMG_1332.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  160.5 KBName:  IMG_1336.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  112.3 KB

RE "Oh , just demo over the phone (or online), that's the solution to everything now."

Thanks a lot for that one. My LOUD laugh of the day!

Yup, everything taking place over the phone/net now, even doctor's appointments...

Richard,

With the best of humour.........

Why don't smash your Piggy Bank and buy some vinyl records online and contribute to the economy like a good patriot. I assume you own a record player?

Your last gasp could be just around the corner you know with the way things are.

I have a set up reserved especially for 45 RPM records from the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s, consisting of a Technics SL1200-M5G, Stanton 881S, a DIY phono preamp with an Aphex 204 with Big Bottom.

Too much fun listening to those “hot” records with the above on my JBL’s!

Since I found a Canadian place selling premium records (221 listed) at more reasonable prices for many titles, than the prices I've bitched about previously here, now records may also be part of my upcoming "shopping spree" (3 records ship free). Sadly though, a few on my "wish list" have disappeared from vendor's Web site since my last look not long ago... e.g. Supertramp, Crime of the century (which I already have as standard vinyl). Then I'm only interested with some albums I like, having higher quality vinyl, remastering and/or quality pressing, not standard ones having already many of those.

An SL 1200, 881S and Aphex 204 setup reserved for 45's! Wow, you must have a large collection of older hits or many turntables to use...

Hi Richard,

I will find out if my source has Crime of the Century?

Crime of the Century

Back in the early '80s a friend of mine and I did a Crime of the Century shoot out. We compared the A&M commercial US pressing with the Mobile Fidelity version that was half speed mastered by Stan Ricker and the Mobile Fidelity UHQR pressing. The Original A&M pressing and the UHQR sounded the best. The bass on the Stan Ricker MF version was bloated and the overall sound had less depth. The UHQR version had the same sonic signature as the A&M pressing, but had a silent background and the elusive "veil lifting" that audiophiles love to speak of.

Every version of every album can be a unique experience and if an album is remastered it may be a disappointment, though many are a subjective improvement.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Back in the early '80s a friend of mine and I did a Crime of the Century shoot out. We compared the A&M commercial US pressing with the Mobile Fidelity version that was half speed mastered by Stan Ricker and the Mobile Fidelity UHQR pressing. The Original A&M pressing and the UHQR sounded the best. The bass on the Stan Ricker MF version was bloated and the overall sound had less depth. The UHQR version had the same sonic signature as the A&M pressing, but had a silent background and the elusive "veil lifting" that audiophiles love to speak of.

Every version of every album can be a unique experience and if an album is remastered it may be a disappointment, though many are a subjective improvement.

Widget
    I've had the same disappointment with MSFL pressings (even their gold CD's) ... their gain is so low that you have to turn up your own amp to get a reasonable volume level , and if you just have consumer grade amps, as i do ... then the resulting BG noise somewhat negates the improved recordings.

I do have some "Master Disk" recordings and even DMM disks that seem to achieve a better result.

Hi Widget,

Thanks for the helpful insight into the Crime of the Century record versions. That kind of makes getting an upgraded LP version somewhat unnecessary... Have Supertramp CD's also but tend to go back to the LP version as default. I find the digital version (AAD) a little too "dry" or lacking a little "flavor" the LP has. Naturally, to make it digital it had to be remastered. Not really disappointed at digital version with its absence of surface noise, but its simply missing a little something the other one has. Regards,

Richard

EDITED FOR MISSING PHRASE (2nd one)

My son flew in from Chicago on the first for a weeklong visit. He has a sideline selling records on the web.
    The flaw in his business is SUPPLY. Getting hard & harder to maintain his selling inventory. People seem to be donating less records or want more $ for the ones they no longer use.

We spent a couple of days culling my un-needed records and started sending to his home ... quickly ran out of boxes, obtained 3 more .. ran out again,, and had to fab 2 more from different shaped ones ... checking his receipts, we mailed about 180 pounds of LP's to his home.

I've been watching his online selling inventory of newly listed ones ... 1 advertised for 100 , 2 more at 65 each.

His trip home was good all the way around and will undoubtedly unleash more LP's to his users.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Ian... it was a joke.

Hey Wolf, when will you get back to the Oracle?

Widget
    YEAH !!

He's also got an AT ART-1 cartridge body that I sent him.

Yup.

My latest turntable build for a friend. Fairchild 412 mechanics, CNC paperstone plinth, marblewood cabinet.

Name:  Fairchild.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  151.4 KB

Thread Information