Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Turntables , Vinyl , Welcome back!

Quote Originally Posted by quindecima View Post
    Does anybody have any input on the Sansui 636 turntable?
    Very nice table, BUT, do not buy one for personal use unless you are willing to go through it and replace all of the electrolytics

I prefer and seek out the (upper line tables regardless of maker) Direct Drive models with the minimal chip count whenever possible (the most simple speed control systems, like SONY's XTAL-Lock is a favorite of mine) as well as trying to avoid those with motorized arm cues and such......................this going on the assumption that you want to buy to own and enjoy and not flip

I would also suggest avoiding any and all of the servo controlled arm types as well (unless you find one for virtually peanuts at a yard sale or something) I am certain there are plenty of folks who would disagree, but then they've probably never had to source parts to repair any of them either

The "636" is an excellent deck, in good to fine operating condition you would be very happy I would venture

Thomas

Thanks Thomas, I sourced a SL 1200MK2 and there were two available that I had a choice on so I picked the best one (based only on cosmetics and condition of the parts) and so far all I have done is change out the RCA hookup but while I was perusing thru his selection I was drawn to the Sansui because of its condition. Thru research I was able to determine that it is close to an 838 but I am not sure of the difference. I'd like to have a spare so I think I will look further into it.

Thanks Thomas for all the info on turntables, cartridges and tuners. I know diddly about that stuff and your knowledge is appreciated.

SME 3009 tonearm By J. Gordon Holt •

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

O.K., so what is this link for? People who already have one or are some available somewhere?

sorting out turntables

So today I decided to check out two of my turntables. The third is a BL-3 Technics best regulated to a back room. I have a SL1200MK2 and a Sansui 636 Both are very nice TT nowhere near some of the stuff you see on Audiogon but I'm in a WAY lower income bracket . The TT has a Stanton cart and the Sansui has an Audiotechnica and to tell the truth I'm going to have to sit down with some grape and run a bunch of vinyl thru these to tell any audio difference. The TT has a much better shutdown, when you press stop it only takes a few sec for it to stop the Sansui takes longer but as far as smooth goes they are about the same. I like the tone arm drop and lift on the Sansui better and the Sansui is heavier. Both tonearms seem to be about the same quality.

Thanks Thomas for all the info on turntables, cartridges and tuners. I know diddly about that stuff and your knowledge is appreciated.
    Thank you for saying such a nice thing
    I am happy if anything that I said was of help to you
    You are more than welcome
    I would have responded to your gracious remark sooner but I was "banned" yet again for another week, this one just past, for what I do not know
    "Angry and disruptive" according to the anonymous notice

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    I would have responded to your gracious remark sooner but I was "banned" yet again for another week, this one just past, for what I do not know
    "Angry and disruptive" according to the anonymous notice

Thomas
    Well, I enjoy it when you make positive contributions. You have a lot of knowledge to share.

I got banned for life by a mod who couldn't click straight.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

So today I decided to check out two of my turntables. The third is a BL-3 Technics best regulated to a back room. I have a SL1200MK2 and a Sansui 636 Both are very nice TT nowhere near some of the stuff you see on Audiogon but I'm in a WAY lower income bracket . The TT has a Stanton cart and the Sansui has an Audiotechnica and to tell the truth I'm going to have to sit down with some grape and run a bunch of vinyl thru these to tell any audio difference. The TT has a much better shutdown, when you press stop it only takes a few sec for it to stop the Sansui takes longer but as far as smooth goes they are about the same. I like the tone arm drop and lift on the Sansui better and the Sansui is heavier. Both tonearms seem to be about the same quality.
    Please do not apologize, you have two VERY nice tables and as for the Stanton? What model? With the right tip a good Stanton can be sublime, some of the best all around cartridges ever made.
    Very euphonic and musical cartridges and still a lot of good stylus cuts to choose from today.
    Unfortunately, their very best, the "Stereohedron" "EEE" as they called it was discontinued back in the '90s but JICO offers an alternative today that comes pretty close (but it is expensive)

But fret not, a Stanton will sound wonderful with a well made conical or just about any cut you choose if it's of any quality

Problem with them for many is that they didn't/don't cost enough to be as good as they are
    They don't know what they're missing

The older the model the better (which factory)
    Even the ubiquitous "DJ" models still available today can be elevated to better than average performance with the right stylus, but the older "reference" broadcast models are the most desirable (and best sounding)-truly "high performance, high fidelity" as well as being excellent trackers and easy on the grooves
    Well worth the investment for a good tip
    Take care with a good set-up and you will be rewarded

Thomas

I don't know which Stanton it is because the numbers or name is hidden under the headshell. I an using the Sansui right now. I need another nice table to set the MK2 on so I can hook them both up.

Darn, I just looked at my preamp manual and there is only one Phono connection, bummer

I don't know which Stanton it is because the numbers or name is hidden under the headshell. I an using the Sansui right now. I need another nice table to set the MK2 on so I can hook them both up.

Darn, I just looked at my preamp manual and there is only one Phono connection, bummer
    What are you using for a PHONO stage?

My phono stage is my Adcom preamp 565

My phono stage is my Adcom preamp 565
    Capable of handling a moving magnet and a moving coil? Or just moving magnet (or iron)?
    You could buy, or better yet, build, a nice little switch box as one possible solution for "A-Bing"
    Or pick up a cheapie just to get by for now so you can do your comparisons; I see them all the time at thrift stores from back in the VCR days (often the old ones intended for video use being well built compared to the plastic junk readily available today at typical retail outlets) heavy metal construction and good quality jacks and switches, minimal if any insertion loss
    Some of them are actually quite decent and certainly good enough to give you an idea if you wanted to take it to a higher quality level
    Common solution for those of us who run many of the old Fishers with only one straight "line in" if you don't want to fool with switching cables with every component input change, that, or don't want to use Fisher's MM PHONO section

It would (ideally) need to be a fairly decent one due to the extremely low signal level

If you decide you did want to be able keep/run either table at will, I would recommend building one yourself with the best quality parts you can practically source. It won't take much parts wise: a high quality switch, some good female RCAs and a very small length of good quality shielded cable to tie it all together.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    OR, to run 2 phonos on that preamp, you could:

get an external phono stage and run it on the AUX input and the 2nd TT on the standard PHONO input. That could allow the use of a MC cart too, since many of them are switchable.

I've noticed some reasonably priced ones on Audio Advisor.

OR just pick the best of the 2 TT's for that system and use 2nd TT for a second system.

Many just use 1 TT and switch out loaded headshells (if they are standard CD4's)

lots of options.
    True, but I think the objective for now was comparison
    As for "big bang for the buck PHONO stages, the old Rotel RQ-970BX is still a hard one to beat, accepts MM and MCs AND lends itself easily to tweaking if that's your thing, like going bat shit crazy with Burson type discrete op amps versus ICs......................and the best part? You can find an old 970 for easily under a $100 bucks.

Definitely not the final word in PHONO stages but a damn good performer: hard to beat

I gave one to my Son for his 16th birthday, he's almost 27 now and still uses, and loves it. Parts quality is over the top for mass produced equipment

The pre is both MM and MC. I didn't think about a switch box that that is a good idea. I don't want to use the aux input because that bypasses the phono stage and the phono stage is the main reason I got this preamp.

Thread Information