Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Turntables , Vinyl , Welcome back!

for those record guys in the Willamette Valley

IMHO, this is the best of the local record shows
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Some of you may have had a passing interest in the AK discussion of the low-priced TEAC TN-300 turntable. Retail price is $399 in the US but recently a seller in Brooklyn has had the Turquoise model offered on Ebay for $229. After selling over 200 items, the price suddenly jumped to $279. Most likely after the sales pace dropped off, the seller must have realized the Turquoise was not the draw, but the price was. Now it's dropped to $199, including shipping, cartridge, switchable internal pre-amp, and USB output.

There was plenty of drama over on AK about the specs and the value, and even the provenance, but no one who has purchased one has complained. And now, at $199 even I took the plunge to use it in a system, somewhere, and to convert vinyl to digital files when the spirit moves me. Anyone needing a spare, or just getting back into vinyl, might want to have a look.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with the seller or the maker, but I do like a good bargain!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Price is now . . . $399!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

No here
    That's what happens to the price of things (and loss leader pricing) when people run their mouths about them on the interweb

It goes UP (but in this instance I could care less)

As for this new TEAC piece of shit? It's a toy; I wouldn't pay $3.99 for it much less $399.00
    (wait, I take that back, I would pay up to $20 for it, as long as that includes the shipping, to get the Audio-Technica cart off of it and then be able to drive over the rest of the thing with my old red '94 turbo brick) Maybe become a youtube sensation or something? Who the hell knows?!

Another chinese wall wart powered DC motor USB/on-board phono stage plastic piece of throwaway crap

And yet ANOTHER REGA clone

Only part of it worth owning is the old reliable Audio-Technica AT95E (and it's kin as found on 99% of all "TSO"s), the salvation of all the chinese peddlers of Turntable Shaped Objects, and even these guys (though it appears they're bowing under pressure from the GRADO piss poor tracking and hum job lobby with their "up grade" options):
    http://store.uturnaudio.com/products...asic-turntable

(I'll take an Audio-Technica ANY day, God Bless their hearts)

What they can do today with the molding of plastic is INSANE, how they can make complex forms and shapes out of re-cycled milk jugs that actually looks amazing.................like most of the new econoshitbox cars

An illusion

I am certain they will sell them by the boat load (literally)

It could also be the best value in a turntable in the under $500 class. But how would you ever know?

The reality is this firm first offered this table at $229, a $170 discount from list, sold over 200 from word-of-mouth driven by references on several audio forums, then raised the price to $279, then days later dropped it to $199. So, I'm not sure how your maxim applies here.

Over 250 individuals purchased from this vender alone. I doubt my running my mouth, or your verbal diarrhea, had any influence on Ebay sales rates. I personally thanked the forum member who brought the original sale to my attention. Is there a reason to keep it a secret? Just like the LSR305 deal in red I mentioned here, I hoped others would be able to have some fun with them. I don't really get what your problem is with that. But, of course, you had to comment, use your childish scatological language, and put your personal dislike for me over the enjoyment of everyone in this group. Why?

Respectable on-line retailers, some of whom also operate substantial brick-and-mortar outlets, have posted very favorable 100% five-star ratings from their customers on this table at the $399 price. At $199, shipping included, and with the 95e cartridge, it's a great deal for someone wanting an extra table, their first table, or the USB functionality offered.

You have every right not to buy one. I hope someone else here did have the chance. Mine arrived today, less than 60-hours after hitting the purchase button, double-boxed, factory sealed, and in perfect condition. The setup was easy and it's been playing quite nicely now for about an hour.

Please go rain on someone else's parade.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    No here
    That's what happens to the price of things (and loss leader pricing) when people run their mouths about them on the interweb

It goes UP (but in this instance I could care less)

As for this new TEAC piece of shit? It's a toy; I wouldn't pay $3.99 for it much less $399.00
    (wait, I take that back, I would pay up to $20 for it, as long as that includes the shipping, to get the Audio-Technica cart off of it and then be able to drive over the rest of the thing with my old red '94 turbo brick) Maybe become a youtube sensation or something? Who the hell knows?!

Another chinese wall wart powered DC motor USB/on-board phono stage plastic piece of throwaway crap

And yet ANOTHER REGA clone

Only part of it worth owning is the old reliable Audio-Technica AT95E (and it's kin as found on 99% of all "TSO"s), the salvation of all the chinese peddlers of Turntable Shaped Objects, and even these guys (though it appears they're bowing under pressure from the GRADO piss poor tracking and hum job lobby with their "up grade" options):
    http://store.uturnaudio.com/products...asic-turntable

(I'll take an Audio-Technica ANY day, God Bless their hearts)

What they can do today with the molding of plastic is INSANE, how they can make complex forms and shapes out of re-cycled milk jugs that actually looks amazing.................like most of the new econoshitbox cars

An illusion

I am certain they will sell them by the boat load (literally)

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    It could also be the best value in a turntable in the under $500 class. But how would you ever know?
    I don't really get what your problem is with that. But, of course, you had to comment, use your childish scatological language, and put your personal dislike for me over the enjoyment of everyone in this group. Why?
    My comments were not tailor made or intended for you only, that's some presumption

I said what I said because I can SEE, and that table "is what it is" in every sense of the word, another Hanpin (or similar OEM) type, MTO chinese special

I would not play any Lps of value or worth on that deck with that arm (nothing that I cared about anyway) and what you think, or a 1,000 or a 1,000,000 other people think, or do or buy has anything to do with my reasons for not doing so

I MIGHT consider a deck like that to use for play grading $1 thrift store Lps and sub $10 in value records of unknown quantity, maybe, (as there are better alternatives even for that purpose out there, readily, and for far less than $300 bucks)

That thing is just another jumping on the bandwagon by a chinese maker to try and capture some of the loose money floating around thanks to the new discovery of vinyl by folks who don't know any better yet, vinyl playback neophytes, that, or folks who just never knew the difference to begin with...................OR, the middle aged wanting to play those old records in the closet and DO want something that at least LOOKS better than a Crosley and who haven't had a table in years (note how the carefully crafted crap all mimics the basic appearance of the tables from the best era of Jap tables, about 1975 thru about 1982-'83 or so)

It is possible to build (and buy) a decent low voltage turnatable motor, but you can bet you last dollar the TEAC doesn't employ one of them. It is the cheapest thing that can be had. Even the REGAs now going that route suck (as if their 120V mains motors weren't already weak enough torque wise but at least they were built well and last(ed) for decades............then there's the hanky matter of getting the built in pre out of the way completely (the signal path) if you only want to use it as a true cart level to PHONO stage manual table.............I just don't see the merit in products like this and they actually do piss me off (especially when trying to talk to some of my "clients")

You'll be tossing that thing in the trash before 2 or 3 years are up

The "best value" in a turntable to be had for under $500 dollars would be any of the Made in Japan middle to top drawer decks from when vinyl was KING, ie: a nice vintage turntable made of excellent materials with some real engineering behind it, good materials and a decent arm (more importantly, decent arm bearings)

I try to convince people who ask me what to buy to buy something they can sell themselves if they decide that vinyl isn't something they want to stick with............in other words, I encourage them not to piss away their money

Just because something is new doesn't make it good; I buy sell and handle dozens of decks a year and that TEAC, again, "is what it is"; JUNK at any price (I know, I've had more than a few brought to me for "repairs") Not THAT model TEAC but the same junk made from the same template, different badges

I am happy that you're happy with yours

Thomas

Listening to this on the TEAC right now as I read the above post:

Sounds lovely.

What a wonderful piece of music!

Phil, after enjoying these forums and this website all these years, I have finally put a member on my ignore list. Given the placement of that sentence, you might guess who. All the ranting all these years on these pages, and I was not tempted to take this action, until now. Actually last week, to be precise. What a relief, and the best part is, any of his ranting replies to anything I, or anyone else post, I will never see. He can type his vitriol until his fingers bleed and I don't see it. Highly recommended.

PS I notice it works on Private Messages too.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Listening to this on the TEAC right now as I read the above post:

Sounds lovely.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    A good first-album to play on a new turntable. Fitting also in that her trumpet-player on that and other albums has a standing Thursday evening gig at a local restaurant more famous for being where Dave Matthews used to bar-tend prior to forming his band.

John D'earth tonight, and Robert Jospe (with Dane Alderson on bass) tomorrow evening. Turntables are fun but live music is something else. Support it whenever you can!

Yes, ignore!

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post

Phil, after enjoying these forums and this website all these years, I have finally put a member on my ignore list. Given the placement of that sentence, you might guess who. All the ranting all these years on these pages, and I was not tempted to take this action, until now. Actually last week, to be precise. What a relief, and the best part is, any of his ranting replies to anything I, or anyone else post, I will never see. He can type his vitriol until his fingers bleed and I don't see it. Highly recommended.

PS I notice it works on Private Messages too.

Simply ignoring someone you don't agree with, or dislike, or whatever is much better than the constant bickering that goes on. I wish more people would try it. . I don't get the need for the ignore list feature but if there is some compulsion to read posts from someone with whom you know before hand is just going to upset you than the list is fine. What I don't like to see is lobbying to get someone banned over personality conflicts. It does take two to tango as they say.

I read, or at least skim through Wagner's posts because he does know quite a bit about audio,far more than I do and I seem to be capable of valuing his audio opinion without taking on the rest. If that weren't the case I would ignore him too. Life is way too short! :)

:(
    L200's biamped with 2216Nd1 LF, and 077's added

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Alobar View Post
    Simply ignoring someone you don't agree with, or dislike, or whatever is much better than the constant bickering that goes on. I wish more people would try it. . I don't get the need for the ignore list feature but if there is some compulsion to read posts from someone with whom you know before hand is just going to upset you than the list is fine. What I don't like to see is lobbying to get someone banned over personality conflicts. It does take two to tango as they say.

I read, or at least skim through Wagner's posts because he does know quite a bit about audio,far more than I do and I seem to be capable of valuing his audio opinion without taking on the rest. If that weren't the case I would ignore him too. Life is way too short!
    For the nice, intelligent post
    Yes, more than a few drama queens here who think that every post made stating a view, or position different from their own is somehow directed at them personally

Self-important and seemingly very fragile drama queens I should say

Kind regards,
    Thomas Wagner

Does anybody have any input on the Sansui 636 turntable?

Well, I am glad that the milk crates that were used to carry records are now recycled into turntables (according to our resident bickerer). This is almost like reincarnation. . I don't mind if it is not the best TT in the world. It probably makes for a good intro device for people who will later buy a "better" turntable. What more can be asked in this world of iPods and earbuds? I bought my first turntable in 1980 (Pioneer direct drive PL300 - which I still have - in a box), and even if it was not the best one (far from it), it allowed me to discover and enjoy music. Therefore, if that TEAC turntable is not the top of range TT, who cares? Their owners will buy boxes of used records and discover artists they otherwise wouldn't have known. Thanks TEAC.

PS Mr Bickerer is also on my ignore list (and he actually is the only one there). It makes the LH experience more enjoyable...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Well, I am glad that the milk crates that were used to carry records are now recycled into turntables (according to our resident bickerer).

PS Mr Bickerer is also on my ignore list (and he actually is the only one there). It makes the LH experience more enjoyable...
    Tee hee tee hee........................you're such a Silly Billy!

I don't know what I can say to thank you enough for the (alleged) honor of being the only resident on your "ignore list" yet you continue to (mis)quote and mischaracterize my comments..............makes me wonder and a bit confused, how is that so? Maybe I'm just too stoopid to understand fully how the feature works?

Regardless, it was milk JUGS, that's JUGS, not crates

Thomas

Thread Information