Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Turntables , Vinyl , Welcome back!

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post

BUT, there was also the entire first pressing vinyl output of " The White Stripes" there too; I was aware of who they were, some of their music, and that it was Jack White's noise due to the fact that I had at the time a late teens daughter still in the house................but I passed on the crate............

Check price trends for original White Stripes' stuff .....................live and learn
    Chris actually introduced me to WS "Elephant" . I like the classic Jimmy Page and Jack channels that passably well.

I've chopped out a couple of cuts and put it to my Nano, was enjoying that late yesterday on the homeward bound leg of my day trip/ride*.

* 4 PM , starting to get dark, mostly uphill , 35 degrees, battling headwinds gusting to 25, light drizzle,
    tired legs, but good tunes pumped thru the helmet can detach me from the miserable conditions.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I like the classic Jimmy Page and Jack channels that passably well.
    You're not alone, glad you enjoy him
    I can't stand the prick
    Every time I hear his stuff I am reminded of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0aSDFA0Vk0

And I don't worship at the alter of Zeppelin either!

You're not alone, glad you enjoy him
    I can't stand the prick
    Every time I hear his stuff I am reminded of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0aSDFA0Vk0

And I don't worship at the alter of Zeppelin either!
    enjoy reading your posts, Wag. you don't pre-filter them b4 posting like I do,
    or wud have in earlier days.

Now I'm so fuggin PC (in public) that sometimes don't recognize my own posts

enjoy reading your posts, Wag. you don't pre-filter them b4 posting like I do,
    or wud have in earlier days.

Now I'm so fuggin PC (in public) that sometimes don't recognize my own posts
    I consider you a friend and a fun poster to read with a hell of a lot of "life experience", so feel free to tell me what you really think
    I'm "grown", I can handle it!
    Won't hurt my "feeeeeeeeeelings" or how I think about you!

THAT'S "diversity" (and you know all about that from having served)

Thomas

Hey wag ..

today I picked up an Empire 888 VE with the pink stylus housing.
    Looks like the tip is completely worn off. Are good replacements obtainable ?

Is it worthwhile getting it going again ? I'm fairly happy with the 880P.
    Did you order/decide on a nail for this one, or is the project still pending?

Try a $10 one and just road test it on something not so rare or valuable; might not be the best way to judge all that it's capable of, but it'll surely give you some idea of if it's worth pursuing with something more refined (read: pricey)

Only problem I saw with the $10 options is that they appeared to all be the heavy trackers............still?

I think it might be worth a shot. Do you do any 78s? Wire it for MONO with a big conical and I bet it'll blow your socks off

Did you order/decide on a nail for this one, or is the project still pending?

Try a $10 one and just road test it on something not so rare or valuable; might not be the best way to judge all that it's capable of, but it'll surely give you some idea of if it's worth pursuing with something more refined (read: pricey)

Only problem I saw with the $10 options is that they appeared to all be the heavy trackers............still?

I think it might be worth a shot. Do you do any 78s? Wire it for MONO with a big conical and I bet it'll blow your socks off
    haven't had the time to try it , but wondering IF the stylus from the 880p wud work for testing in the 888 ve ?

78's ? have you been following me ? yesterday I had a stack of "like new" 78's in sleeves , Tex Ritter and other cowboys and some Japanese works from the 50's. Musta been 15 pounds of them. I'm just not up on what's got value in 78's and so did not buy.

I do have an Ortophon OM78 cart with great stylus, but no real media to use it on ... so off to CL.

haven't had the time to try it , but wondering IF the stylus from the 880p wud work for testing in the 888 ve ?

78's ? have you been following me ? yesterday I had a stack of "like new" 78's in sleeves , Tex Ritter and other cowboys and some Japanese works from the 50's. Musta been 15 pounds of them. I'm just not up on what's got value in 78's and so did not buy.

I do have an Ortophon OM78 cart with great stylus, but no real media to use it on ... so off to CL.
    Two different designs entirely, one being a "captive" fit, the other the more traditional friction fit

Who knows? Might work, as in good enough to try (and make noise), but no way no how anywhere close to being the right stylus

With SHUREs there's a lot of tips that can be made to fit with a little trimming of the plastic etc as the working parts and magnet placement are the same, but with these two model Empires up for discussion I wouldn't try it, but IF you do, definitely only with a sacrificial disc in case things go south

Problem is, if it pulls out or otherwise, you might ruin your working stylus being a cheapskate and then you're dead in the water with both of 'em

We're talking $10 bucks dude, I think Voice of Music has a Pfanstiehl heavy tracker for 9 and change:
    http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catal...re&Categories=

Gary's a good guy and he'll tell you straight up if it's worth a shit (with these oldie goldies they're not all the current problematic Swiss made copies; those apply primarily for the more advanced profile SHURE type cuts)

Anybody looking for the 1973 JBL two disk LP release of "Sessions"
    here is a reasonably priced copy. Yes, I know the seller. He's good.

http://www.discogs.com/sell/item/294873271

Tracklist
    Loudspeaker Definition Test
    A1 –Larry Phillips Insight
    A2 –Rosmini* / Ruskin* Patriarch And Blind
    A3 –Unknown Artist Insight
    A4 –Alex Harvey (2) Devil On My Shoulder
    A5 –Unknown Artist Insight
    A6 –Alex Richman It Doesn't Have To Be Wrong

Loudspeaker Coloration Test
    B1 –Unknown Artist Low Frequency Demonstration
    B2 –Unknown Artist High Frequency Demonstration
    B3 –Paul Parrish Popular Insturments (Drums - Bass + Bass Drum - Piano - Guitar) / Piano Theme
    B4 –Unknown Artist Symphonic Insturments (Bass - Cello - Viola - Violin - Tympani - Bass Flute - Alto Flute - Oboe - English Horn)

Studio Insight - 16 Track Recording
    C1 –Various Set-up
    C2 –Various Balance & Rehearsal
    C3 –Various Take 7
    C4 –Various Playback

Studio Insight - 16 Track To Stereo Mixdown
    D1 –Unknown Artist Individual Tracks, Drum, Guitar
    D2 –Unknown Artist Bass, Piano, Vocal
    D3 –Unknown Artist Equalization
    D4 –Unknown Artist Echo
    D5 –Unknown Artist Stereo Balance
    D6 –Hoyt Axton Captain America
    D7 –Hoyt Axton Joy To The World

Smile $800K for a used LP ??? ...... (at least it's a double)

Yeah, there's been some pretty amazing Beatle's relate auctions as of late
    Yoko Ono has been cashing in on a lot of John's shit the past couple years or so (all in the name of "charity")

As for the "White Album" ("The Beatles") I know of at least 4 that are all legit that have the No. 1 embossed on the cover; I think that more than a few were made. Don't know about Ringo's (I'm sure it was a U.K. Parlophone pressing) but here in the states there was no logic or sequential numbering of the title thanks in large part to the the fact that Capitol had several pressing plants and at least two vendors to fill demand around this time. Also, each U.S. pressing plant had a different "prefix" so the same number(s) can be found, albeit with a different prefix)

The suppliers of covers actually became a bone of contention with the Beatles, and if you take notice, "Abby Road" was the first and only cover not supplied with two board covers joined with the paper wrap which had been the norm up and until then

Like stamp collecting, you can make a hobby acquiring all of the "Abby Road" cover variations, including but not limited to the cover graphics (centering of the photos and ink tint) and print on the back (track listings)

Trying to locate the article now about all the cover(s) hubbub

As for the "White Album" ("The Beatles") ...
    As a Beatles appreciator (lesser level than fan) , the "WhiteAlbum" is more of a single than double to me.
    One of the disks (forget which) has such poor content (actually both did) , that I never really gave entire disks play time. Unknown as to why it's such a milestone ?

About about half the tracks are listenable (to me) , but did make OK comp tapes.

NOT MINE !!!!

Lenco L78 Record Player Turntable Used - $260 (n.e. portland)

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/5342548030.html

As a Beatles appreciator (lesser level than fan) , the "WhiteAlbum" is more of a single than double to me.
    One of the disks (forget which) has such poor content (actually both did) , that I never really gave entire disks play time. Unknown as to why it's such a milestone ?

About about half the tracks are listenable (to me) , but did make OK comp tapes.

NOT MINE !!!!

Lenco L78 Record Player Turntable Used - $260 (n.e. portland)

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/5342548030.html
    You are definitely a one of a kind, there ain't but ONE that's for sure

I'm a hardcore Beatles fan and personally think "The Beatles" is one of the finest records they ever made (of course they never did make a bad one) It clearly demonstrates on 4 sides just how diverse and gifted those guys could be together, even in the middle of a nasty divorce (if there was ever any doubt)

Those guys could do it all

Next to "Abbey Road", I think it's the best of the bunch with "Rubber Soul" and "Revolver" coming pretty damn close (but from two different times in their development as a band)

Not unlike the sacred Jazz cow "icon", Coltrane's "Love Supreme", "Sgt, Pepper's" is the one I could really give a shit for; I could easily live without it...........and this coming from a "fan boy" who owns probably a least 4 pressings of everything they ever did and who grew up with them

I'm a hardcore Beatles fan and personally think "The Beatles" is one of the finest records they ever made (of course they never did make a bad one) It clearly demonstrates on 4 sides just how diverse and gifted those guys could be together, even in the middle of a nasty divorce (if there was ever any doubt)
    you listen to: ?

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (they purchased it and as a group detested it)
    Wild Honey Pie (yuk)
    The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill (WOT)
    Rocky Racoon (another WOT)
    Why Don't We Do It In The Road?
    Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey
    Helter Skelter
    Honey Pie
    Revolution 9

yeah man, that's fine stuff

"Rubber Soul" and "Revolver" coming pretty damn close (but from two different times in their development as a band)
    those 2 albums came out of the same sessions

you listen to: ?

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (they purchased it and as a group detested it)
    Wild Honey Pie (yuk)
    The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill (WOT)
    Rocky Racoon (another WOT)
    Why Don't We Do It In The Road?
    Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey
    Helter Skelter
    Honey Pie
    Revolution 9

yeah man, that's fine stuff

Not 100% sure what "WOT" is supposed to mean, but if you dislike, or even have disdain for those tunes you listed then all I can say is, that in my OPINION, your taste in music pretty much sucks ..................regardless, you definitely ain't no Beatles fan (unless you're just into the Mop Tops/Fab Four) output

I'll give you a pass on Revolution #9, but being a "song" wasn't the point of that one anyway

But I still love you though regardless!

Not exactly true/accurate, but so what? Common practice back during a time when record companies actually still called the shots, especially with their cash cows, The Beatles being no exception at that time. '65 - '66 was back in the day when double albums were a hard sell as far as the guys in the grey suits were concerned and the Brit releases had a different track listing than ours on top of that; Capitol Records managed to milk 3 albums out of it (the two)

The level of sophistication that evolved between just those those two master pieces (inside barely a year) is a degree of talent in "Pop"/"Rock"/"Folk" (or whatever you choose to call contemporary music) the World hasn't seen in a long long time and probably never will again, both musically and production wise

That's he beauty of the Beatles; no two albums were alike as was the case with so many bands of the day (and in so short a period of time) How many bands have done what they did in what was essentially 6 and 1/2 years?

I agree with John Lennon; "The Beatles" was arguably the best record they ever made, despite it all, musically speaking. It's got it all. Only "Abby Road" comes close if not as good or better (and for me, it's a tie but for different reasons)

Like particular titles or not, it really is an amazing thing that arguments and discussions can be had about a band that NEVER made a BAD, non new ground breaking record period. Pretty cool in my book.

And that doesn't even include the singles of stellar quality like "Revolution" (the original), "Old Brown Shoe" and "Lady Madonna" (plus about an album's worth of others)
    THAT'S another whole kettle of fish!

Unknown as to why it's such a milestone ?
    You're not the Lone Ranger with that opinion of the record (and I understand, and respect that, the why of it, I just don't share the view); lots of folks have a problem with it musically, for one as it demonstrated for the first time, beyond ANY doubt, that the Beatles were actually FOUR very talented individuals in their own right and not just some homogeneous, cookie cutter "show biz" act "everyone" had come to expect of them (beyond the obvious developing signature sounds that let anyone with ears recognize who the principle song writer was on any given track) as is obvious readily apparent on "Rubber Soul" and "Revolver". By 1968, this "individuality" was beyond depute and it caused a lot of grief for a lot of fans (and dick heads at the record label as well) I think a whole lot of folks just felt as if the "Mop Tops" would go on forever. Works for giants like Sinatra (rarely), but no so much (well seldom anyway) for "bands"

But despite the musical differences between them and the personal frictions developing (and the fact that they were all approaching their 30s), they could still turn out some of the finest Rock and Roll records ever committed to vinyl when they put their minds to it, hands down; good, bad or ugly, those four guys were the consummate professionals when it came to making good records (and more importantly MUSIC) Broke a lot of new ground and created a lot of things never heard on a "pop" record, or in the studio, before, not deliberately, but just being the small squad that they were with George Martin as the first lieutenant

So for me, "The Beatles" was a breath of fresh air, not that there were any flies on any of their others. Just a shame that there was so much drama attached to it.

People (other "artists") have been stealing their ideas for decades now and I don't really see any end in sight for that ever not being the case any time soon

Kind of sad that all of this talent didn't quite carry over in the same fashion when they all went "solo"; not to the same, and consistent degree anyway

Thread Information