Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Turntables , Vinyl , Welcome back!

Sorry for the typos folks, can't fix, still no edit function here at Lansing Heritage, just a little beach ball going 'round and 'round

Hey wag ..

today I picked up an Empire 888 VE with the pink stylus housing.
    Looks like the tip is completely worn off. Are good replacements obtainable ?

Is it worthwhile getting it going again ? I'm fairly happy with the 880P.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Hey wag ..

today I picked up an Empire 888 VE with the pink stylus housing.
    Looks like the tip is completely worn off. Are good replacements obtainable ?

Is it worthwhile getting it going again ? I'm fairly happy with the 880P.
    They sounded good, pretty darn good
    I have never heard any Empire that was bad although towards the end of their life they were making some pretty boring low price stuff (during the ultra low mass years)
    I have not actually heard one in 40 years or so (the "888") but I do honestly remember them as being very good
    Like everything Empire, there is always a myriad of styli that were made for the motor over time and I do know that finding one for the 888 or any of these older models isn't easy

I can tell you this; any of the EVG aftermarkets marked "Made in Japan" come of of the JICO factory and are very decent needles
    I have seen them for the "888" (I had a chance to pick one up) ranging from around $10 to $30 bucks but they give no real useful info so I passed on the project
    Try LP Gear, Needle Doctor, any of the usual suspects
    As of late I would AVOID the Swiss made Pfanstiehls, they have all sucked for me
    (that's why you have to ask as they source from all over now)
    You'll need to shoot them an email to get some specifics, they seldom provide many details for the old timers
    Just go with any of the Jap replacements and you'll be fine and remember that when "JICO" is written on the package the price triples or more

I am NOT recommending this particular one, just that you contact them and find out what they can supply. I have never used them myself but I have heard from people I believe that their customer service and knowledge is good:
    http://www.lpgear.com/product/EMPS0888VE.html

very kewl old skool

John Michell was one of the nicest fellahs you could meet. A true gent and one of the best in the UK Hi Fi Industry. A man you could trust and rely on Sadly passed on in 2003.

http://www.michell-engineering.co.uk/history/

Interesting point WRT the reference hydraulic ( in the pic above ) , you can see the small knob at the right hand side of the platter. It is at the end of a piano wire rod with a small right angled paddle that dips into an annular bath of silicone fluid that rotates with the platter.
    It's primary purpose is to effect a measure of speed control. I have a pet theory that it also gives a constant pre load to the motor. Those decks had a much better sound quality than current thinking would give them credit for.
    Stunning to look at. John used to do some specials in anodized finishes with bronze mirror on the base , and variations by request. Just for grins of course but now highly collectible.
    Since they make ALL the parts in house except the plexiglass you are never going to be stuck for spares. If they don't have any they just make some. Nice old school way of doing things.

If you ever see one grab it.

and Pickering just died

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    John Michell was one of the nicest fellahs you could meet. A true gent and one of the best in the UK Hi Fi Industry. A man you could trust and rely on Sadly passed on in 2003.

http://www.michell-engineering.co.uk/history/
    http://www.analogplanet.com/content/...-pickering-rip

A pioneer of high fidelity audio, he invented the Pickering phonograph cartridge. He was one of the founders of the Audio Engineering Society and its first Secretary.

Name:  Vinyl.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  31.6 KB
    43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    Name:  Vinyl.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  31.6 KB
    Ah, ah, ah. And wait until hipsters call it a "lifestyle"... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Ah, ah, ah. And wait until hipsters call it a "lifestyle"... ;-)
    OKAY ..I'll see your vinyl toon ...... and raise you one
    Attached Images Attached Images  

In banking they call this making things "too big to fail"..........

http://www.jvc-america.com/about/company.aspx

http://www.techwaredist.com/wordpres...ordable-media/

http://www.myce.com/news/victorjvc-m...ecember-76342/

http://www.discogs.com/label/275005-Mediamotion
    Mediamotion
    MediaMotion was a Dutch CDs and DVDs replication company.
    It was founded in 2003 by the merger of former Record Service Benelux, Cinram (former Polygram Manufacturing) and Metatec Corporation.

In 2004, MediaMotion took over EMI Manufacturing Europe and became the exclusive producer and distributor for EMI Records (UK & Mainland Europe).

A year later kdg Netherlands B.V. was also acquired and integrated into the MediaMotion Group, followed by Care4Data in 2005.

2006 saw further acquisitions for the Group in the UK (Workflow UK Limited) and in France (Digital Valley SA).

In 2008 EMI ended their exclusivity contract with MediaMotion. As EMI was MediaMotion's biggest customer, MediaMotion went bankrupt at the end of 2008. Parts of Mediamotion continued under a new name: Promese. This included Workflow UK Ltd. aswell.

It's not about the messenger.................it's about the message

Lps will still be around long after CD has followed suit with the Compact Cassette
    Sorry guys, that's just the way that it is, and like Fremer says (and I can't stand him either), it's better to a lot, a lot of people, and why folks think it's better, I DON'T CARE

The current numbers and paradigm shifts are proving it (a GENERAL abandoning of physical media with two rather pronounced exceptions: Lps and printed books, real ink on paper ones!); LOTS of people prefer vinyl, will take it any day over a CD AND even the kids are getting in on it (or the "hipsters" if you want to continue to be a denier/insist this is only a trend or a blip)

It ain't just middle aged pot bellied men grasping for their youths and punks; TOO MUCH MONEY'S BEING THROWN AT BRINGING IT BACK and by smart people, some who've been in the retail music game for a long time. That's why all the story sharing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPP7IDR-iPw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlBsaB1Bc9k

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    The current numbers and paradigm shifts are proving it; LOTS of people prefer vinyl, will take it any day over a CD AND even the kids are getting in on it (or the "hipsters" if you want to continue to be a denier/insist this is only a trend or a blip)
    My son supplants his income selling vinyl online , http://www.discogs.com/seller/pdxpunk52/profile ,
    and he grew up here in Hipsterville, but records are a permanent part of his life. The only source on his L-100 based system is vinyl.

On my daily bike rides, I keep a lookout for records for him to sell. His family visited us (from Chicago) last week . He raided my archives and mailed home two 50 pound boxes of surplus LP's.

Chris specializes in PUNK. Until i started buying for him, did not realize how extensive the genre was. Expected white sleeved minimal presentation releases, but most most have original artwork and sometimes stickers or even patches. A black Flag 45 that I bough 2 months ago has a current resale value of 500 . That surely isn't for music value, but collectors valuation.

I don't buy for collect-ability , but for the actual music.....weird, huh ??

Many that I buy for him I audition first. If they are good, I'll dub to minidisk first before mailing to him.

When buying new: If CD and vinyl are nearly the same price, I'll always take the LP. It has resale value whereas the CD depreciates to zero quickly.

Oh yeah: MANY of his online sales go to Europe, Japan or South America (Chile). He has 2 record stores there that can buy from him (prices are reasonable) , then pay for Priority Air International shipping and still sell at a profit in Santiago.

My son supplants his income selling vinyl online , http://www.discogs.com/seller/pdxpunk52/profile ,
    and he grew up here in Hipsterville, but records are a permanent part of his life. The only source on his L-100 based system is vinyl.

On my daily bike rides, I keep a lookout for records for him to sell. His family visited us (from Chicago) last week . He raided my archives and mailed home two 50 pound boxes of LP's.

Chris specializes in PUNK. Until i started buying for him, did not realize how extensive the genre was. Expected white sleeved minimal presentation releases, but most most have original artwork and sometimes stickers or even patches. A black Flag 45 that I bough 2 months ago has a current resale value of 500 . That surely isn't for music value, but collectors valuation.

Many that I buy for him I audition first. If they are good, I'll dub to minidisk first before mailing to him.

When buying new: If CD and vinyl are nearly the same price, I'll always take the LP. It has resale value whereas the CD depreciates to zero quickly.

Oh yeah: MANY of his online sales go to Europe, Japan or South America (Chile). He has 2 record stores there that can buy from him (prices are reasonable) , then pay for Priority Air International shipping and still sell at a profit in Santiago.
    And he's only able to do all that because they suck so much, right? That, or the hipsters have taken over the World.

Congratulations on your Son's success, I wish him more of the same; take a look at my bud Chad; that is essentially how he got his start, with a box of closeout MoFis he picked up at a K-Mart after their first bankruptcy (Mo-Fi's, not K-Mart's) and selling used records mail order out of his shitty apartment

Nor do I, but it sure as hell "pays" in more ways than one to learn as much as possible, especially if you go on regular digs

When I bought my Son's last table upgrade, the creepy little dude had a milk crate of Lps he'd have probably taken whatever I would have given, he was moving and over boarding everything he could...............I passed (he was a young party age gay dude and a lot of the shit was techno-dance 12" mix sort of crap) and it was a sort of "all or nothing" proposition

BUT, there was also the entire first pressing vinyl output of " The White Stripes" there too; I was aware of who they were, some of their music, and that it was Jack White's noise due to the fact that I had at the time a late teens daughter still in the house................but I passed on the crate............

Check price trends for original White Stripes' stuff today .....................live and learn

Thread Information