Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Turntables , Vinyl , Welcome back!

And don't let 'em bull shit you into a chinese piece of shit digital scale, that old SHURE balance beam is just fine
    At least not the $120 version that you can easily get for $12... with a cal weight...
    Even if not particularly accurate, they are nice when keeping track of small changes
    (especially for more extreme, line-profile type stylii). El cheapo I bought
    has the measuring surface at close to record surface height, which makes me happy
    (some arms change VTF with VTA).

Nice to have both scale types.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    As for your gram scale, as it should be, 'cause it's a heavier weight; doesn't have to move as much to apply as much (or counteract depending on your point of view). And it probably does translate just fine BUT the only way to confirm that is going to be with a scale; again, I have no idea what that weight was counterbalancing in it's former life

It should be close IF you zeroed out the arm well BUT I have no way of knowing with the information I (don't) have
    I HAD 2 of them. A Shure and original AR. Loaned them to friends in need ... you know how that goes ... never saw them again.

The arm was static balanced before VTF adjustment, but I answered my own Q.

Since last post I redug the electronic scale and now from reading the manual (duh) , I know that the TT has to be in play mode and then cut power. I did. So what the CW said was 2g actually measured at 3g on the digi scale.

but yeah, gonna have to get something better. I'm tempted by these

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-D...ce+Scale+Gauge

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-P...ce+Scale+Gauge
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Right. Someone silkscreens a name on it and it adds $100 value? Not to me.
    One I have is probably one of those you've listed.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    At least not the $120 version that you can easily get for $12... with a cal weight...
    Even if not particularly accurate, they are nice when keeping track of small changes
    (especially for more extreme, line-profile type stylii). El cheapo I bought
    has the measuring surface at close to record surface height, which makes me happy
    (some arms change VTF with VTA).

Nice to have both scale types.
    You are right about that, they are also useful for matching
    That's why I have the Harbor Freight cheapo DVOM&C meters for capacitance checking up to 20uF
    Probably not accurate for shit but good enough for MATCHING

I'd be willing to bet that ALL arms change VTF with changes in VTA!

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Right. Someone silkscreens a name on it and it adds $100 value? Not to me.
    One I have is probably one of those you've listed.
    Exactly (that's the con job I was saying to avoid)
    The Michael Fremer approved piece of chinese shit

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I HAD 2 of them. A Shure and original AR. Loaned them to friends in need ... you know how that goes ... never saw them again.

The arm was static balanced before VTF adjustment, but I answered my own Q.

Since last post I redug the electronic scale and now from reading the manual (duh) , I know that the TT has to be in play mode and then cut power. I did. So what the CW said was 2g actually measured at 3g on the digi scale.

but yeah, gonna have to get something better. I'm tempted by these

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-D...ce+Scale+Gauge

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-P...ce+Scale+Gauge
    so I had forgotten an Amazon 'cash back' credit and decided to use it on a scale. Came in yesterday. I verified it with the supplied 5g weight . It measures to 1/1000th gram.

When I was shooting for 1.50g VTF on the 530, it actually measured at 1.75 , 1/4 gram off wasn't too bad. So it's now set at a measured 1.5 and sounds good (the 880p).

Will double check the other 3 TT's around the house now.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    so I had forgotten an Amazon 'cash back' credit and decided to use it on a scale. Came in yesterday. I verified it with the supplied 5g weight . It measures to 1/1000th gram.

When I was shooting for 1.50g VTF on the 530, it actually measured at 1.75 , 1/4 gram off wasn't too bad. So it's now set at a measured 1.5 and sounds good (the 880p).

Will double check the other 3 TT's around the house now.
    Sounds like a happy ending
    Which scale did you settle on?
    Glad you like the old Empire

I need a turn table, I don't want to spend more than $600 bucks. What should I look for? Stanton 150?

Quote Originally Posted by quindecima View Post
    I need a turn table, I don't want to spend more than $600 bucks. What should I look for? Stanton 150?
    I would avoid any of the current "Super OEM" tables if possible (for a number of reasons)
    Some are nice and some are better than others but NONE are as good as a decent deck from the days when The Lp Was King
    Clean vintage Japanese tables the closer to the top of their respective lines the better (the line as in "SL-1xxx" series Technics for example etc)
    In my opinion, the simpler models the better as well (fewer ICs with the direct drives)
    Th real sleepers are the high end SONY models; still under the radar but people are catching on
    All built excellent tables: KENWOOD, SONY, Technics. DENON etc
    As I am certain you already know, even with the Jap tables, some brands command a premium over the others even when there is no OBJECTIVE basis to warrant it

Buy a very nice well built "higher up" Direct Drive (or belt drive if that's your preference), re-cap it complete and scrub and lubricate it immaculate and be good for another 40 years or more or trouble free, high quality Lp playback

You cannot go wrong with ANY of the good Japanese tables from this era, build quality, reliability, fit and finish and SOUND quality............AND there are high quality AUTOMATICS that do not involve machinery which degrades the arm's capabilities..................so the best of all worlds! Automatic is where it's at, if you properly service the machine; at least a semi

The "high-end" snobs knock on them today, but the fit, finish, build quality and most importantly SOUND from the better level Japanese machines makes most of today's "high end" offerings look, and sound, like toys

Many folks like the DUALS and other suspended decks and they do and can sound nice (I've owned a couple and they are very capable), but I still believe your best bet is with a solid plinth, non-changer machine. Too busy for me, but that is just my opinion. As good as a few of them are, I just do not believe the typical DUAL arm to be nearly as good or as versatile as the typical medium to higher up in the line Japanese offering either.

Same brands also made fine belt drives as well, and there's always REGA, which on the used market could be easily had within your budget

This sort of thing; I just acquired and rebuilt this one (re-capped):
    http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-PS-X60.html
    https://theturntableshop.com/tag/sony-ps-x60-turntable/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duaH2kHSmlM

I'm not just yapping and I have no hidden agenda; I wouldn't sell this table now that I've gone through it for less than $2,000. Sounds better than any table currently in the house and there are some nice ones; like I said, sleepers

If you take your time and LOOK CLOSELY you can find this table in excellent condition for $200 or less. I will be so bold and proclaim that you would HAVE to spend several thousand dollars or maybe even more on something new today that has the potential to sound so good or that is built as well

I REALLY like, almost love, the Technics SL-1200; it is a very nice and good sounding turntable. In stock form, this SONY makes the SL-1200 sound like a different format. The arm is just that good.

There's lots of VERY good tables out there if you study up a bit and take your time

Good luck
    Thomas

Good stuff here, I'll keep my eyes open. I couldn't find the Sony anywhere but there are some Technics around.

Good stuff here, I'll keep my eyes open. I couldn't find the Sony anywhere but there are some Technics around.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Choose-a-Turntable

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/1...rst-turntable/

SONY wasn't a "got to have it" recommendation, just a good one for now as their TOTL stuff still flies under the radar as far as pricing goes
    Just a good candidate to keep in mind as the same snobbery against SONY's higher priced offerings when it was new still holds true today with a lot of their vintage stuff, especially their turntables............although as I mentioned, that's changing as of late
    They made a lot of good models

SONY wasn't a "got to have it" recommendation, just a good one for now as their TOTL stuff still flies under the radar as far as pricing goes
    Just a good candidate to keep in mind as the same snobbery against SONY's higher priced offerings when it was new still holds true today with a lot of their vintage stuff, especially their turntables............although as I mentioned, that's changing as of late
    They made a lot of good models
    Can't go wrong with a good Technics either although there are a few models I would suggest you avoid (the ones with lots of plastic parts) like the SL-1900; those are good players but suffer a lot of old age pattern failures (i.e.: parts that break which you can no longer source except from donor units) like the cue assemblies

If you pick the right model(s), going vintage should be a trouble free and rewarding experience

Sorry for the redundant posts above; the edit function doesn't seem to be working

I know the intent of this post was to be helpful but not real crazy for any of the 3 they recommended for the buying NEW in the $300-$500 price range
    Many (as in too many) quality control issues with all of them
    I would avoid them unless I could buy it from a brick and mortar seller and even then there's better ways to spend $500 bucks on a table

I own 3 REGAs (120V models from the 1990s) so I am not a REGA basher, but their new stuff, to be perfectly honest, sucks as far as consistency ss concerned (and I am well aware there are plenty of guys who got lucky and got a good one)

It just shouldn't be an experience where you have to hope to get a good one, even at that price point and I'm not talking their infamous speed/pitch complaints, I'm talking wobbly platters and poorly assembled arms (which they've upped the ante on the plastic content significantly on their current lineup)

They've done what a lot of folks have done; cheapened out at every turn and called it "new technology" like their 24 volt motors (my opinion)

REGA ain't what is used to be; stick with the older ones when they still called them "Planar" 2, 3, 9, 25 etc

Thread Information