Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Turntables , Vinyl , Welcome back!

Quote Originally Posted by pyonc View Post
    Yea, I'm trying very hard to get one, but it looks like an almost impossible job.
    I was almost to have been done by a scammer after placing an ad for Linn with SME3009 on Canuck the other day.
    I didn't know innocent users like me on Canuck was vulnerable to so many scams like that!
    There are lots of folks on the web that will sell you almost anything you wish to buy - and if you tell them what you want it gets even worse.
    be careful - you have very specific ideas of what you want, be they JBL Energizer amps or Linn Turntables or ...
    You have to be more careful, especially if you have a wad of money ...

Internet scammers like wads of money!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    There are lots of folks on the web that will sell you almost anything you wish to buy - and if you tell them what you want it gets even worse.
    be careful - you have very specific ideas of what you want, be they JBL Energizer amps or Linn Turntables or ...
    You have to be more careful, especially if you have a wad of money ...

Internet scammers like wads of money!
    Yea, internet scammers even in this audio market! Beware of them on the popular Canuck audio mart. Their favorite online bank seems to be Western Union. The scammer who tried to dupe me insisted on it ...

I am very pleased with my Sony TTS-3000 with SME 3009 and DIY plinht with built in RIAA with line level out.

Name:  Sony TTS 3000 001 (800x600).jpg
Views: 1954
Size:  271.6 KB

Also have another Sony TTS-3000 built for broadcast use with a very good RIAA. Pick-up arm built in Norway for the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation.

Name:  Sony TTS 3000 002 (800x600).jpg
Views: 2174
Size:  239.3 KB
    43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

Without the timely intervention of macaroonie, our forum member here, I would have lost $1,500 for his scam item!
    I'm not sure it would have been a $1,500 loss, if it was an Ariston. It had the arm that you want, has a beautiful plinth, and seemed in good shape. Certainly it did have some good value. Just maybe not the full value for the amount that you were paying.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

[/QUOTE]Name:  Sony TTS 3000 001 (800x600).jpg

Also have another Sony TTS-3000 built for broadcast use with a very good RIAA. Pick-up arm built in Norway for the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation.

Size:  239.3 KB[/QUOTE]

Lovely , bet it sounds good. Is that a Penny & Giles fader on the pre amp ?

Sub set factoid. Levinson uses P & G faders ( or did ). Made in Wales from coal and tin , best you can get bar none. Same as in Neve desks

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I'm not sure it would have been a $1,500 loss, if it was an Ariston. It had the arm that you want, has a beautiful plinth, and seemed in good shape. Certainly it did have some good value. Just maybe not the full value for the amount that you were paying.
    Well, I'm sure the pics he sent me are fake, maybe taken from internet or somewhere else. When I asked for the pic showing the serial no. on the back to double check authenticity of the Linn plinth, he just reacted emotionally, refusing to send. What made me suspect he's a scammer was that the name he used for this deal was not the same as his real name on the bank account no. he informed me for money wire. He must have made it hastily for the sole purpose of taking my money and closing it. In hindsight, I'm sure he's a typical scammer intent on ripping off someone like me. Actually I was approached by another scammer who solicited me to buy his JBL SE400S. I checked his pics with those on the internet, and they were actually taken from the internet! In both cases, I placed an ad on Canuck, the popular free audio mart for US and Canada. As it turned out, this site is swarmed with this kind of cunning scammers, where lots of people complain about their cases of scams. I feel ebay and PayPal with buyer protection are the most safe as far as auction and online payment are concerned.

Name:  Sony TTS 3000 001 (800x600).jpg

Size:  239.3 KB[/QUOTE]

Lovely , bet it sounds good. Is that a Penny & Giles fader on the pre amp ?

Sub set factoid. Levinson uses P & G faders ( or did ). Made in Wales from coal and tin , best you can get bar none. Same as in Neve desks[/QUOTE]

Yes there is a Penny & Giles, but it is not JBL monitor speaker.
    43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

Well, I'm sure the pics he sent me are fake, maybe taken from internet or somewhere else....
    There are so many net scams , + TT's are hard to ship, + you really need to check bearings/movement so that to be fairly sure of what you are getting, a road trip seems the best solution.
    There must be some in the high pop east coast that are within a days drive. I think that the ability to "hear/feel/touch" outweighs the inconvenience of a drive.. and you've had a Linn before and know what to look for ?
    Many of us have found the speakers that we desire and rarely are they located in our neighborhoods.
    And shipping, unless packaged by a pro, can be difficult for a TT , there are many shipping horror stories.

Why did you let the old Linn go ?

There are so many net scams , + TT's are hard to ship, + you really need to check bearings/movement so that to be fairly sure of what you are getting, a road trip seems the best solution.
    There must be some in the high pop east coast that are within a days drive. I think that the ability to "hear/feel/touch" outweighs the inconvenience of a drive.. and you've had a Linn before and know what to look for ?
    Many of us have found the speakers that we desire and rarely are they located in our neighborhoods.
    And shipping, unless packaged by a pro, can be difficult for a TT , there are many shipping horror stories.

Why did you let the old Linn go ?
    Thanks for your tip. Yea, I'd be willing to drive within the radius of Greater Washington area...
    Why did I let my old Linn go? Well, when I bought it years ago on ebay, I was not so aware of the importance of the tonearm.
    Actually the seller was an English gentleman in London, and I paid about $1,200, plus $150 shipping.
    Mine was fitted with BasikPlus, not Ittok or SME 3009, etc. The sound was okay from this BasikPlus Linn, with Shure V15/SuperTrack stylus combo, but I just wanted to hear the "improved" sound from an upgraded tonearm. So, early this year I sold it on ebay at a much lower price that I paid. And now I'm coming back to find one, this time one with Ittok or SME tonearm.

The main event

Anyway , to get back on track with this thread , I reckon it's time to examine what's going on these days in the turntable world. There is no questioning the fact that there is a resurgence in Vinyl. Quality vintage decks are getting sold for prices that make my eyes water.
    We have been talking about SME recently , I'm seeing good used ones going for 3 and 4 times what they were at retail when new. Amazing.
    Along side this there are some extraordinarily expensive top end turntables on the market. Telephone number prices that in no way reflect the production cost. There must be some folks taking their vinyl very seriously indeed.

Coming back to the real world it has generally been the case that in the US market the emphasis has been more on the amplification and speakers than on the turntable. CD players don't count , they have ' perfect sound forever ' ( Phirips circa '84 ).
    So lets have a look at why this happened.
    Back in a n hour .........

Thanks for your tip. Yea, I'd be willing to drive within the radius of Greater Washington area...
    Why did I let my old Linn go? Well, when I bought it years ago on ebay, I was not so aware of the importance of the tonearm.
    Actually the seller was an English gentleman in London, and I paid about $1,200, plus $150 shipping.
    Mine was fitted with BasikPlus, not Ittok or SME 3009, etc. The sound was okay from this BasikPlus Linn, with Shure V15/SuperTrack stylus combo, but I just wanted to hear the "improved" sound from an upgraded tonearm. So, early this year I sold it on ebay at a much lower price that I paid. And now I'm coming back to find one, this time one with Ittok or SME tonearm.
    yes, I have a V-15/T3 on my everyday TT , and a V-15/VXLM on my best one. I too, really like the V-15 (from 3 on up) family sound. There is an ex-Shure employee making pretty good replacement styli and sells on eBay. http://www.ewsaunders.com/

In 20/20 hindsight, it seems you should have kept the old Linn and have the arm of your choice fitted and only sell the then replaced arm ?

I drove to Canada for my 250Ti's and many here have driven further for their chosen gear.

Absolutely, I completely agree with Seawolf -
    I drove to Philadelphia for my JBL 4320 Monitors, drove to York PA for my 4341s,
    and I drove to Ephrata PA for the Vandersteen 3As I got last month.
    I get to meet interesting people when I buy them, I get to check them out in person before money changes hands,
    I am comfortable making sure they are cushioned in the car (so no shipping damage possible), its a great list of pluses and no negatives!
    When Emma goes along we stop for a nice meal in the town where we buy the gear - thats always fun!
    Oh, and after I get home I think of the trip and the people whenever I use that piece of gear!

Highly recommended!

yes, I have a V-15/T3 on my everyday TT , and a V-15/VXLM on my best one. I too, really like the V-15 family sound. There is an ex-Shure employee making pretty good replacement styli and sells on eBay.

In 20/20 hindsight, it seems you should have kept the old Linn and have the arm of your choice fitted and only sell the then replaced arm ?

I drove to Canada for my 250Ti's and many here have driven further for their chosen gear.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Mine was fitted with BasikPlus, not Ittok or SME 3009, etc. The sound was okay from this BasikPlus Linn, with Shure V15/SuperTrack stylus combo, but I just wanted to hear the "improved" sound from an upgraded tonearm.
    I buy records and send to my son in Chicago, who sells on http://www.discogs.com/seller/pdxpunk52 . If an LP is good enough, I dub it to minidisc first. The dubbing TT is a Pioneer PL-530 with what was one one of their audiophile arms at the time of production. It has the V-15/T3.
    Was dubbing this AM and currently playing back the MD before letting go of the LP.
    Got to admit that the MD sounds as good or better than many CD's I've heard. Sure I started out with a NM vinyl (but made in 1977), but Wow , and this on a TT that I paid $45 delivered to my door. AND on a T3 that was OEM on my old Dual 701 (circa 1971) . It should have worn out decades ago, but just keeps on sounding fantastic.

here's one you kinda asked about http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thorens-TD-1...item5b01702c68

and if I recall correctly, the seller MAY be a LHF member
    contains arm that you want and cart too. NEW TT, never sold.

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/thorens/td125.shtml

here's one you kinda asked about http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thorens-TD-1...item5b01702c68

and if I recall correctly, the seller MAY be a LHF member
    contains arm that you want and cart too. NEW TT, never sold.

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/thorens/td125.shtml
    Thanks! I saw that listing, too. Very attractive item. I've been torn between the rare Linn with SME, my priority, and Thorens with SME that comes on ebay often like this. Looks like Thorens with SME tonearm used to be mainstay. By the way, how do Thorens TT compare with Linn in terms of sound fidelity?

Thread Information