Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Turntables , Vinyl , Welcome back!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Why go to all that trouble when there is Spotify?

...and at the high end there is Tidal streaming Hi-Rez files.
    Widget

I also keep DVD's & BluRays as not everything I want is available on streaming.

same with LP's.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Former Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post

same with LP's.
    think you may have missed his point, don't think it was a why a person likes and holds onto any given format challenge more to music capture and storage in general (after someone went off topic about recording)
    minidisc wasn't any better than sony dat until Hi-MD came along late in the game plus you had to deal with all the copyright protected garbage
    lot of work
    sony has always had killer inventions and horrible market timing

Records rule here as for music, do use an old cassette boombox for recording spoken word quickly and radio, also has built in mics
    had a minty DAT and sold it for nothing, tapes too difficult to source and when you do very expensive, some pros still use those older machines as safety backups though at live venues, I'v'e seen them

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Chavez View Post
    minidisc wasn't any better than sony dat until Hi-MD came along late in the game plus you had to deal with all the copyright protected garbage
    do you have any real experience behind that statement ?

Oh yeah, thot I was on your ignore list ? IF you need help doing that, I can gen up some instructions for you.

Now now, be nice boys. When l get back from Baili you will be best friends....

I don’t know how old you are Michael but some of our grumpy old men do have a seniors moment every now and then so please take into account in your responses.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post

same with LP's.
    I have a collection of blu ray music and they cover a lot of live gigs.

The SQ is quite good and spectacular on a Jbl surround system.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Now now, be nice boys. When l get back from Baili you will be best friends....

I don’t know how old you are Michael but some of our grumpy old men do have a seniors moment every now and then so please take into account in your responses.
    Doubt that , when even the senior admin labels MC as "the new village idiot" , don't think there is much chance for a long, productive LHF tenure.

Who are you going to pass the baton on to?

Or can you only survive in same same whee you are the only fish in your own pond?

You need to work that out so your thread doesn’t ultimately disappear up it’s own clacka.

Or can you only survive in same same whee you are the only fish in your own pond?
    Balinese proverb ?

My understanding is local hifi shops struggle to sell a TT to the millennial.
    Our local HiFi shop can't keep TT's in stock (at least the quality ones) ... I don't stick around to see who buys them , but I suspect people who already have record collections.

When I attend record shows, it's very obvious that among the attendees ... about 70% are over 60 y.o. and the other portion is 30 or below .... not much in between. That may not be representative of the US as Portland has more used record stores - per capita - than any major US city.

In a general sense l don’t disagree.

I personally don’t make a point or attending record shows. I did however buy some Vinyl at a street market in Kensington while in the uk 18 months ago.

Locally new vinyl has taken hold in traditional CD music shops with new releases and re issues. I buy when in retail centres and it’s not a significant impact with a few every month.

On TT most locally hifi stores (half a dozen in the region) stock Technics, Project and Rega and a few mid priced TT like Avid and the SE Gyrodeck on display.

What’s interesting is if you make others in the same demographic aware they can become Interested in vinyl and some are in serious hifi. One parent at the local school recently bought Klipsch Cornwalls and another is looking at a retro style for their art dec home. The age varies locally but is in the 40-50 age bracket. They drive Audi or Lexus RVs and some Tesla S. They are self employed or in corporate roles or lawyers and the kids are in or will be going to private schools.

I think once seeded and they get the bug they are in it.

OK...I contacted Oracle .... abt dustcover hinges.

it's a good news/bad news deal

GOOD: I thought my model was a Delphi AC , actually they say it's a later mk1.

BAD: "Their cost is of: D-HINGES Aluminum hinges for the Delphi MkVI & MKV
    $300 + Shipping & handling

These hinges fit into our small cardboard shipping box, which should cost somewhere between 164 to 20$ to ship to you, depending on where you are located in the U.S

P.S. I attached a copy of our Parts & Upgrades pricelist : because it is a Delphi MkI and not a Delphi AC, all of the upgrades shown are compatible to your turntable!

$320 .... I think not.

Prices for parts are somewhat in relation to TT price...

Did you check EBay or others?

Is that price $CAD or $US? If CAD then figure your actual cost about $100. less when converted to USD. Regards,

Richard

Another way of looking at it is that unlike our beloved and virtually deceased JBL, Oracle is at least willing and able to offer some support for a product they sold 40 years ago.

Widget

RE "...unlike our beloved and virtually deceased JBL, Oracle is at least willing and able to offer some support..."

Thanks Widget, had a good laugh at the virtually deceased, Sad reality though in terms of parts and service...

Like Oracle, Sennheiser Canada still has original parts for my 1977 414X and for little more recent 480 series II headphones... And I'd bet they're still able and do fix their old legendary 421 and 441 microphones for example. Go figure...

Richard

A good laugh .... progress ???

The 7 best turntables

For new vinyl collectors wondering where to start...

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/2/21...ica-strategist

Thread Information