Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Turntables , Vinyl , Welcome back!

Arm cable anchor

This is the boy for anchoring the arm cable. Mount it under the plexiglass but you must find a position where the cable does not foul any structural parts of the deck. The suspension has to be able to move freely.
    Check this is ok before you zip up the tie fully. Tip : in the first instance tighten the tie only so much that it holds the cable but you can still adjust it for final position..

Name:  cable tie base.jpg
Views: 3807
Size:  24.7 KB

DISCOGS In Association With Audio-Technica Presents "Crate Diggers" Record Fair NYC Sat. July 27th

https://www.analogplanet.com/content...-sat-july-27th
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

"They are geniuses when it comes to rebuilding cartridges..."

Hey MAC ...

I can get a brand new O.D. dustcover (in oracle box, packed) for a good deal , but NO hinges... here is a pic of what they shud look like ... do you have anything close ??
    Attached Images Attached Images  

What may work in your favour is that the high end community seems to have decided that dust covers are 'a bad thing ' . The notion is that the cover is a trap for acoustic resonance that then transmits into the playing mechanism. If you look at the Delphi
    you can see that the designer took account of this with sophisticated isolation.
    Nonetheless many users will have removed the cover and hinges and probably many others perhaps broke the lid and didn't replace it but may still have the hinges in a stash.
    It may well be that that is a proprietary hinge and riser from a hinge manufacturer.
    It's a fuzzy component to make from scratch.

The fellahs at Oracle will tell you for sure. Super nice peeps BTW. Speak French to them and you will do even better.

M

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    The fellahs at Oracle will tell you for sure. Super nice peeps BTW. Speak French to them and you will do even better.
    Yes, they are!

Unfortunately, if I tried speaking to them in French, I’d end up ordering a bottle of red with steak frites. Luckily for those of us who are not gifted in the language department, their English is quite good.

Widget

As one who grew up in Montreal, best not to speak in Parisian Francaise. They might only understand every second word!

Bon chance!

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    What may work in your favour is that the high end community seems to have decided that dust covers are 'a bad thing ' . The notion is that the cover is a trap for acoustic resonance that then transmits into the playing mechanism.
    M
    I picked up some grille cloth to recover the L19's, but it was a bit too small, so 1 of them is currently the dust cover for the Delphi, hear no problems .
    (wonder if not having the tone arm installed yet affects the sound ??) - it is very quiet.

Hi Tom,

Been getting lately a number of adds for Lenco turntables, about $80 to $250. Another hi-fi name purchased by Asian company (China)?

If my memory serves me well in the old days 70s-80s, Lenco TT was about the level of Thorens?

Hadn't heard about Lenco for decades and now start getting ads about them. I get the impression new Lenco could be one more known name that was bought by low-cost manufacturer in view of the models/prices given. So many of them have fallen in the hands of less respectable than the brands previously had. Purchasing a known or respected name to get going is much easier than building a brand from scratch.

But the consumer is lured into believing its good old company XYZ with former nice products that's back in business now, whereas most of the time its not the case at all, just a make believe trick to sell cheap lower quality stuff...

Am I wrong about this one or is it about right this time again? Regards,

Richard

BTW just read in post # 2 Macaroonie's comment about Rega Planar: "Me no a fan !!" I remember reading late 70s or so in The Audio Critic their assessment of the original Rega Planar: "It rings like a telephone". The best laugh I've ever had from a review, and still laughing while writing this... Never been a fan too.

Similar with the former German brand Dual that was famous especially for their turntables. One has to be careful nowadays as there are two very different product lines sailing under the Dual banner: There are TT's with a model number beginning with DTJ, which are cheap Chinese Hanping stuff. Keep your hands away from them and any other Dual gear - with the exception of TT's with CS in their model designator. These are still manufactured along the traditional Dual standards at St. Georgen, Germany, by Alfred Fehrenbacher on Dual production lines.

Best regards!

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
    Similar with the former German brand Dual that was famous especially for their turntables. One has to be careful nowadays as there are two very different product lines sailing under the Dual banner: There are TT's with a model number beginning with DTJ, which are cheap Chinese Hanping stuff. Keep your hands away from them and any other Dual gear - with the exception of TT's with CS in their model designator. These are still manufactured along the traditional Dual standards at St. Georgen, Germany, by Alfred Fehrenbacher on Dual production lines.

Best regards!
    Pioneer made pretty good mid level TT's in the 70's & 80's , but their issue, which I dislike is : reusing vintage model numbers on new, black plastic, Ch1nese crap TT's.

If you see an ad with a model number, but no pic..then what is it ???

Portland leads vinyl record resurgence

Younger generations are helping drive vinyl record sales past CD sales

https://www.koin.com/news/oregon/whe...rd-resurgence/

Former Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Pioneer made pretty good mid level TT's in the 70's & 80's , but their issue, which I dislike is : reusing vintage model numbers on new, black plastic, Ch1nese crap TT's.

If you see an ad with a model number, but no pic..then what is it ???
    SOP for Pioneer for just about everything
    for decades and not just turntables
    plenty other Japan big boys did it too
    even during the good years before the junk era
    Avery Fisher did it

Former Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Portland leads vinyl record resurgence

Younger generations are helping drive vinyl record sales past CD sales

https://www.koin.com/news/oregon/whe...rd-resurgence/
    major chunk people like chad kassem

middle aged men buying mega bucks box sets

expensive reissues

Beatles doing the 147th reissue remaster remix

and yeah some people my age and younger

and don't forget the hipsters - it's all good

Hi Seawolf,

As I mentioned elsewhere.

A Recent (Jan. 3, 2020) newspaper article I kept regarding media or support used to consume music has some interesting elements. I would think the trends mentioned here are probably similar in other comparable countries.

The British Phonographic Industry (BPI) has just released its official 2019 numbers on this matter. This is right after the USA equivalent group indicated music streaming represented 80% of the market. For Britain streaming had a 74.4% market share, so a little less than the US, final Canadian numbers were not out yet, but mid-year stats indicated streaming had 79% market share.

To calculate music sales, the album equivalent formula is used all over the world they say. Roughly, 1000 listenings are equivalent to the purchase of one physical album.

In most countries, album downloads are again on the decline. In the UK the CD format is down 26.5%, and now has 15% of total music sales. As for vinyl records, the BPI notes sales have increased for a 12th year in a row with + 4.1% vs 2018. Not a big increase but still. The 4.3 million LP records sold in the UK represent 12.5% of all records sold. At the top of the British chart is an LP record with 29,000 copies sold! Far from the millions of copies from the golden age of LPs isn't it.

The icing on the cake: music on tape. BPI says sales of cassettes increased for a 7th year!! with 88,404 units sold, but representing only a minuscule 0.1% of total sales. Almost the black sheep in the herd that just doesn't want to die out...

Note the percentages above add to a little more than 100%, presumably because of rounded numbers effect, but what's more important in my view is the relative share of each and the definite trends of music consumption...

These are the facts, comments will follow in an up-coming post avoiding a too long one here, plus gotta go now. Regards,

Richard

Thread Information