Thread: Turntables , Vinyl , Welcome back!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Portland leads vinyl record resurgence

Younger generations are helping drive vinyl record sales past CD sales

https://www.koin.com/news/oregon/whe...rd-resurgence/
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Former Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Portland leads vinyl record resurgence

Younger generations are helping drive vinyl record sales past CD sales

https://www.koin.com/news/oregon/whe...rd-resurgence/
    major chunk people like chad kassem

middle aged men buying mega bucks box sets

expensive reissues

Beatles doing the 147th reissue remaster remix

and yeah some people my age and younger

and don't forget the hipsters - it's all good

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Chavez View Post
    major chunk people like chad kassem

middle aged men buying mega bucks box sets

expensive reissues

Beatles doing the 147th reissue remaster remix

and yeah some people my age and younger

and don't forget the hipsters - it's all good
    Michael Chavez .... I've read your posts this last month, they seem generally negative & sarcastic , very reminiscent of a user from not long ago who kept changing names as he was banned twice.

More constructive posts would be welcomed.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

My Kenwood TT, 40 years old with FR 12 arm and MC 44 cartridge.

I few weeks ago I pulled it out for a clean and noticed the arm mounting and a few other things were loose.
    The 12 mm particle board panel underneath rattles when tapped!
    That said when I purchased it I compared the vibration isolation to an LP 12 and I felt it was superior when it came to feedback.
    The cartridge also needs re tipping but on enquiry it was going to be expensive and perhaps better to buy a new cartridge.

I recently bought a new Rega Planar 3 for the family room system and was surprised how good it sounded. The Kenwood served me well so I started looking for a replacement TT and got some advice. There are some great Micro Seiki decks (SH) but the shipping a quite expensive. I also looked at a Clearaudio TT and the new Technics models. One thing lead to another and I started looking at belt drive tables with high mass platters.

In the end I opted for a VPI Prime with the stock 3D arm and Kiseki Purple Heart cartridge. No it wasn't cheap but I got a great deal from the importer. Its going to last another 40 years. The build is impressive as is the sound with only a few hours on it. I will post a pic when I have it properly set up.

https://www.vpiindustries.com/prime
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Former Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    My Kenwood TT, 40 years old with FR 12 arm and MC 44 cartridge.

I few weeks ago I pulled it out for a clean and noticed the arm mounting and a few other things were loose.
    The 12 mm particle board panel underneath rattles when tapped!
    That said when I purchased it I compared the vibration isolation to an LP 12 and I felt it was superior when it came to feedback.
    The cartridge also needs re tipping but on enquiry it was going to be expensive and perhaps better to buy a new cartridge.

I recently bought a new Rega Planar 3 for the family room system and was surprised how good it sounded. The Kenwood served me well so I started looking for a replacement TT and got some advice. There are some great Micro Seiki decks (SH) but the shipping a quite expensive. I also looked at a Clearaudio TT and the new Technics models. One thing lead to another and I started looking at belt drive tables with high mass platters.

In the end I opted for a VPI Prime with the stock 3D arm and Kiseki Purple Heart cartridge. No it wasn't cheap but I got a great deal from the importer. Its going to last another 40 years. The build is impressive as is the sound with only a few hours on it. I will post a pic when I have it properly set up.

https://www.vpiindustries.com/prime
    smart move
    the Weisfelds are super people to deal with and their products are beautiful
    sound beautiful too
    you call VPI and someone picks up the phone
    that's some table you purchased by the way, very nice
    Michael

I am still not happy (to put it mildly) that my mom gave away her Thorens TD124 w/ SME 3009 arm. GAVE AWAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Chavez View Post
    smart move
    the Weisfelds are super people to deal with and their products are beautiful
    sound beautiful too
    you call VPI and someone picks up the phone
    that's some table you purchased by the way, very nice
    Michael
    Hi Michael,

Yes Matt was quite helpful in answering some questions.

Selecting the cartridge was a challenge because I was un familiar with what was what and Matt was quite helpful in answering some questions. But here is the scoop. Frank Weisfeld has (or did have) the JBL Project Everest DD67000 system. Given Frank likes the Purple Heart I figured was a good bet. I can't wait to I get it installed on the main rig.

The Management was cool about it. When I was cleaning and pulling apart the Kenwood I said this thing is worn and everything is loose. I then said the diamond was missing out of the cantilever on the cartridge. She said I was waiting for you to say that! So I took her to California for some time in Napa Valley and shopping in SF at Union Square and in Palm Springs. I think we both did okay.

Much earlier on my first TT was a JH with the JH Formula 4 arm. The Formula 4 was a low mass silicon damped unipivot. The arm was not particularly well built but it worked even with a Stanton 681EEE. The whole thing cost AUD$139 back in the late 70's so I was not complaining.

Former Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Hi Michael,

Yes Matt was quite helpful in answering some questions.

Selecting the cartridge was a challenge because I was un familiar with what was what and Matt was quite helpful in answering some questions. But here is the scoop. Frank Weisfeld has (or did have) the JBL Project Everest DD67000 system. Given Frank likes the Purple Heart I figured was a good bet. I can't wait to I get it installed on the main rig.

The Management was cool about it. When I was cleaning and pulling apart the Kenwood I said this thing is worn and everything is loose. I then said the diamond was missing out of the cantilever on the cartridge. She said I was waiting for you to say that! So I took her to California for some time in Napa Valley and shopping in SF at Union Square and in Palm Springs. I think we both did okay.

Much earlier on my first TT was a JH with the JH Formula 4 arm. The Formula 4 was a low mass silicon damped unipivot. The arm was not particularly well built but it worked even with a Stanton 681EEE. The whole thing cost AUD$139 back in the late 70's so I was not complaining.
    good news and positive remarks for a change
    refreshing
    I am excited for you
    Michael

Thread Information