Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Turntables , Vinyl , Welcome back!

Here is a pdf of the entire thread. A fairly simple process "Save as PDF" when using a Mac with Safari.

That said, I noticed that none of the plots or other images were available in the link, so I opened it in Chrome on a Mac, nada, and then tried it on a PC (Windows 10) and tried it on both Chrome and IE. Still nada. I guess Shure has broken their links over the years since it was first posted.

It is an interesting snapshot in time. (1978)

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here the new VPI Prime set up at last.

I am really enjoying what this TT and cartridge (Kesiki Purple Heart) can do with any album.

It’s early days while try different cartridge loadings but one thing that comes across is an earthy reproduction that is natural without any hint of microscopic lighting.

I am playing a stash of new vinyl l bought while in Auckland last month. That proved to be a timely purchase under the current circumstances.

Currently on the table is The Very Best of Crowded House. Wound up on my Grado GS1000’s at 1.30 AM this recording really comes alive. The vocals convey a strong sense of being there while micro dynamics create an emotional connection. The bass lines underscore rhythmic drive that draws you into the music. This is vinyl at its very best.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Here the new VPI Prime set up at last.

I am really enjoying what this TT and cartridge (Kesiki Purple Heart) can do with any album.

very nice Ian. are you using a dedicated phono preamp ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Yes, a Pass Labs Pearl 2, jfet passive riaa 60 dB of gain. For such a simple design it’s impressive.

When things get back to normal l will get something with dual inputs so l can run a second TT with a work horse cartridge like a Lyra Delos or a Dynavector.

Using a $4K cartridge with a uni pivot arm still freaks me out.....

I am looking forward to hooking up the 4345’s clones which are under going renovation by order of the First Lady. As national security advisor l get away with a lot but .... Lol .

Using a $4K cartridge with a uni pivot arm still freaks me out.....
    Maybe less drinking would reduce the stress?

Widget

Well of course you’d post that. The only stressful thing to be avoided is watching your very unpresidential live CNN updates at that hour.

You might have been drunk when you posted.
    How else could you watch it?

I do most of my listening late at night and don’t mind writing about audio.

The issue is you can’t see the stylus on this cartridge and being an un damped unipivot arm it takes some getting used to. I used to own a TT with a damped uni pivot once. It was a JH TT with the Formula 4 arm.

Ian... it was a joke.

Hey Wolf, when will you get back to the Oracle?

Widget

You are probably right. These are trying times. Stay safe.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

Hey Wolf, when will you get back to the Oracle?

Widget
    I keep forgetting about it. Too much going on .....

Fired up the family room system last night.

The Manley Stingray is a new addition as is the Shag print from Palm Springs waiting to be mounted. We feel very fortunate to have traveled to Palm Springs in January and found this print.

The stock Rega 3 feeds the Nad C658 phono input (in the West Elm console) and the pre amp rca output to the Stingray. A small turn of the volume knob and the Stingray opens up ready to boogie. The fully furnished room is 5 x 10 m and 3.6 m ceiling with tall 3.3 glass sliding doors on both walls. So it can have a slight presence in the upper midrange.

We played several albums including Dire Straits Brothers in Arms and Sam Smith The Thrill Of It All.

This setup sounds sublime in this space. The subtle warmth and velvet smoothness of the Stingray balances nicely with the lively sound of the Rega 3. I am running a 3.5 way D’Apolito loudspeakers which are about 90 dB. It goes plenty loud enough for our purpose.

In the next few weeks l’ll install my OMA Mini clones currently on the drawing board. I plan to use a pair of JBL 1200H woofers and a conical horn by Bill Woods. We think it will blend nicely with the modern vintage decor.

https://oswaldsmillaudio.com/mini

Thorens TD125

So to say "UGLY" "OMG" "WTF" $100
    Appears to have been left out during room renovation.
    Under ALL that $&*$@& is a very nice table.
    Out with the TD160 in with the 125.

been lazy lately and since I'm in & out of my listening area ... just letting Pandora stream thru the 120Ti's all day. ...my custom "thumbprint radio" mainly just plays songs that I've upthumbed.

lazy ? yeah..... hi-fi ? no, not really.

like your Shaq print .

Dire Straits Brothers in Arms was the first CD that I ever purchased ... it sounds great, no matter what format. Maybe even 8-track

Fired up the family room system last night.

The Manley Stingray is a new addition as is the Shag print from Palm Springs waiting to be mounted. We feel very fortunate to have traveled to Palm Springs in January and found this print.

The stock Rega 3 feeds the Nad C658 phono input (in the West Elm console) and the pre amp rca output to the Stingray. A small turn of the volume knob and the Stingray opens up ready to boogie. The fully furnished room is 5 x 10 m and 3.6 m ceiling with tall 3.3 glass sliding doors on both walls. So it can have a slight presence in the upper midrange.

We played several albums including Dire Straits Brothers in Arms and Sam Smith The Thrill Of It All.

This setup sounds sublime in this space. The subtle warmth and velvet smoothness of the Stingray balances nicely with the lively sound of the Rega 3. I am running a 3.5 way D’Apolito loudspeakers which are about 90 dB. It goes plenty loud enough for our purpose.

In the next few weeks l’ll install my OMA Mini clones currently on the drawing board. I plan to use a pair of JBL 1200H woofers and a conical horn by Bill Woods. We think it will blend nicely with the modern vintage decor.

https://oswaldsmillaudio.com/mini

Hi Sea, Si long time no see!

RE Pickering V-15

One of your recent finds, something re-discovered recently in your pile of boxes or simply a doc posted to show the V-15 model name was used, by a different manufacturer than Shure, on another cart?? Can't remember having seen that one. Made by Shure? No comment or explanations given so, no comprendo...

Updated Avatar pic showing new flashy & colorful outfit is used as clever bait to attract and seduce Corona? Then kill it for good? Not much space in that attire to grow the beard tho, lol

Only a couple hours left of work battling with taxes, almost done, getting 2K back from tax man , and I'm off the hook, a free man But wife said she has a to do list waiting for me Smells like pretty short freedom. I guess I can get a taste of it by listening to Loggins & Messina's Be Free...

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    Hi Sea, Si long time no see!

RE Pickering V-15

One of your recent finds, something re-discovered recently in your pile of boxes or simply a doc posted to show the V-15 model name was used, by a different manufacturer than Shure, on another cart?? Can't remember having seen that one. Made by Shure? No comment or explanations given so, no comprendo...

I have a couple of Pickering V-15's . NOT made by Shure, but fine carts none the less. Found the doc and figured that it may help someone.

Updated Avatar pic showing new flashy & colorful outfit is used as clever bait to attract and seduce Corona? Then kill it for good? Not much space in that attire to grow the beard tho, lol

Signal green is color of many of my shirts, since my wardrobe is geared towards cycling. Still have the beard, mask covers it well.

Only a couple hours left of work battling with taxes, almost done, getting 2K back from tax man , and I'm off the hook, a free man But wife said she has a to do list waiting for me Smells like pretty short freedom. I guess I can get a taste of it by listening to Loggins & Messina's Be Free...

Buy yourself something , finished a lot of work, deserve reward.

Thread Information