Thread: Turntable Cables

Turntable Cables

Could someone please suggest possible candidates for bulk coaxial cable suitable for making up a set of leads for my SL-1300? "Low capacitance"? These are a set of "captive" cables. (I am sticking with the original design)

I use carts ranging in output from 4.0mV (the highest, vintage SHURES) to moving coils with much lower output (Benz etc).

The noise on this subject is deafening; I just want to order some high quality, preferable nice and flexible cable that is at least as nice as what Technics originally used on the table. (SL-1300) I also own a Rega P25 which has wires that are fine for now and to my ears.

I want something I can order by the foot, NOT some esoteric or boutique priced wire with magic terminations. One end will be soldered to the factory PC board at the table and the other end terminated with nice male RCAs. What I want is something that is the correct cable type for the job electrically. My applications are all unbalanced and need to be of a type that can be soldered. Please give model numbers of coaxial cables that you think are appropriate if possible.

Thank you!

I've used the Canare Star Quad cable to make a lot of interconnects and have been very happy with it. It's a broadcast quality cable that I've heard is used in many recording and TV studios. Markertek sells it by the foot in various colors at a very reasonable price. http://www.markertek.com/Cables/Bulk...-4E6S-BK.xhtml

FWIW, I've also used the Canare F-10 RCA connector. Speaker Builder magazine recommended this years ago for its good mechanical properties and its Teflon insulation.

Another cable that's held in pretty high regard that's affordable is DH Labs' BL-1. It's silver over copper with Teflon insulation and can be purchased by the foot.

Star quad is good in principle. No downside that I can think of.
    As an alternative Belden 83394 if memory serves. Not the prettiest cable but high spec

Its 4mm od so goes into Levinson Camac connectors but it's whisper quiet and very transparent even over long lengths 25ft+ with only a MC at the back of it. Cheap too.

https://edeskv2.belden.com/products/#s=83394&r=1

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Star quad is good in principle. No downside that I can think of.
    As an alternative Belden 83394 if memory serves. Not the prettiest cable but high spec

Its 4mm od so goes into Levinson Camac connectors but it's whisper quiet and very transparent even over long lengths 25ft+ with only a MC at the back of it. Cheap too.

https://edeskv2.belden.com/products/#s=83394&r=1
    Nice wire, but the capacitance is too high for any run that is practical (for PHONO use) working from a "standard" resistance of 47K and keeping total cable capacitance below 35pF (the theoretical ideal, mine anyway)

I found a nice Mogami (and Siamese to boot) wire that measures at 17pF a foot, so a reasonable run of 3 feet, give or take is easily accomplished and I feel I am only losing what the bats can hear with the additional foot of length

The dielectric used in this particular model lends itself well to soldering (by design) which is also a nice bonus

Thread Information