Thread: Tube Amp Project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    luxmanlover

Tube Amp Project

Having always like the "tube sound" I thought what the heck why not build one. I had some parts like trannies & tubes just need a few caps and resistors etc. Well the "package" showed up yesterday, I opened it and to my amazemaent I pulled out this baggie of parts. I knew what I had ordered so I'm not really sure why I was suprised. I guess I was expecting more than a "baggie. Anyway, just for fun, I'd like my fellow hobbiest to take a stab at what a baggie with a few caps and resistor runs there days. Guess away, I'll post the winning guess a little later.
    Kelly
    The CD is just for scale, it's not a shameless plug of my fav band
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hmmm

4 Rubycon Black-Gates . $50.00 - FK & Standard Series
    2 Gold, Axial , Jensen EDIT ; Jensen PIO copper-foils $33.00
    a whack of resistors $16.00

- special packaging, likely the courtesy of PartsConnexion
    - Late Summer 10% discount on these items

My guess: @ $100. less 10%( plus shipping ) x 7%GST (maybe 7% PST also ) = ???
    $ 115.00 USD

<> EarlK

Well, now I see other stuff - but I have to go

( I think Scott has the better guesstimate . )
    Last edited by Earl K; 10-26-2004 at 03:23 PM.

Hi Lux, if you can spare the $$, have a look at the Vanderveen Speciality Series toroidal output iron. IMHO they represent state of the art coupling for tube amps. Plitron manufacture them for North America.

Worth checking out at:

www.plitron.com

That bag of stuff

Black Gate caps, Oil filled caps, and Riken Ohm resitors, Im guesssing you spent $157.00 on that bag alone.

luxmanlover
    Getting warmer Scott
    Kelly

Welborne labs pricing.......

Originally posted by luxmanlover
    Getting warmer Scott
    Kelly
    My calculations, according to the pricing of Black gate and Jensen caps on Welbornelabs site, and actually knowing you can get the Riken Ohms for 2.50ea leads me to estimate a grand total of $213.80 plus shipping!

Black gates can be had for as little as $3.95ea to $250.00ea! So that you told me Im getting warmer means the BG,s you bought are around $30.00 each! Give or take a little!

The Jensen Oil caps are probably around $ 20.00 ea. Depends on what foil you order!

Scott says: $213.80 plus shipping!

Luxman says: Is that your final answer?

Scott says: Yes, thats my final answer!

Well be right back after this important commercial announcemount!

luxmanlover
    Well you're a little high this time Scott, unless you are talking Canadian Funds. Grand total, shipping included from Parts Connexion was $176.79USD or $225.37 CDN for 22 resistors, 8 caps and 5 tube sockets....yikes and this amp is low parts count.
    Kelly

Yep , Ouch !

What values did you buy ?

( I'm clueless what uf ranges and working voltages one needs in a tube and transformer based circuit )

./ Earl K

OK

Originally posted by luxmanlover
    Well you're a little high this time Scott, unless you are talking Canadian Funds. Grand total, shipping included from Parts Connexion was $176.79USD or $225.37 CDN for 22 resistors, 8 caps and 5 tube sockets....yikes and this amp is low parts count.
    Kelly
    My second guess i assumed you may have bought Black gates that sell for $33.00ea, this is where the price ran higher! My first guess is always my best guess, I guess!

And, are those Riken Ohm resistors, i am fairly sure they are, but again, I could be wrong!

I have some Riken Ohms, and they are good, I also am going to try some Kiwame carbon film resistors! A little crisper sounding than carbon composition.

luxmanlover
    They are Rikens all right. I hope I like the sound, they are suppose to be a bit warmer than some. The most expensive items were the PIO Jensens for the signal path, $16.00/.
    Kelly

YUP.

I priced your Jensen caps at 16ea!

Youll like the Riken Ohms, they sound similar to the way AB carbon comp resistors sound! They are clear, but not edgy. IMHO, you only need a few at certain points in the signal path, they offer a warmer, fuller sound compared to metal films.

What Im interested to hear about are the Jensens! I want to know how you like those, so when you got it all up and running.......

Thread Information