Thread: JBL 4350 Valuation

JBL 4350 Valuation

Lurked for a long time, just registered & 1st post here.

I am considering selling my JBL 4350's but having a hard time placing an honest valuation for them. Google search finds nothing recent. Figured I would post here & at Canuckaudiomart forum too.

These are the first version of 4350's with all original drivers & X-overs. The 2230A's have the original White Aquaplas cones & with new surrounds from Rick Cobb. The cabinets are the Grey painted versions which are in great physical condition but do need repainting. The Black grille cloths are very good but do have some cracked wood framing. The 2440's have the Titanium 2445 diaphragms but these are easily restored to original. The bottom base/standoffs are missing.

While not "mint" condition, they are rare & very original & easily restored to "mint". Any advice or ideas on valuation would be much appreciated. Thanks.

***At this time I am not looking for offers, just help with figuring a valuation. I have someone offering to purchase, however I'm not even sure I want to part with them. The kids are almost out the door but these are still my "Babies".
    Last edited by yksledder; 05-20-2014 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Addition

Welcome!

Some pics of the utility cabinets might start the evaluation-juices flowing.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Pics

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Welcome!

Some pics of the utility cabinets might start the evaluation-juices flowing.
    Just figuring the site, not sure how many pics I can post, start with a couple

The current cabinet speckle finish was a successful attempt at WAF but failure at long term durability. I want to find original paint code & refinish.

Name:  IMG_0180.jpg
Views: 2202
Size:  95.6 KBName:  IMG_0150.jpg
Views: 1657
Size:  83.6 KB

Hi yksledder;

Welcome to Lansing Heritage and the 4350 club.

I have watched these for several years and while I haven't seen a pair of utilities sell in that time, I haven't seen a complete pair of 4350's go for much less than $9000.00 USD and as high as $12,000 USD. A couple of pairs sold here in Vegas a couple of years ago for $10,000.

Having the original white cones is a big value adder.

If you decide to sell it will be interesting to see what they bring.

All the best,
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Fascinating!

Are the grilles black? And are they original material.

I love the industrial look myself.

Good luck with your sale.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by yksledder View Post
    Lurked for a long time, just registered & 1st post here.

I am considering selling my JBL 4350's but having a hard time placing an honest valuation for them. Google search finds nothing recent. Figured I would post here & at Canuckaudiomart forum too.

These are the first version of 4350's with all original drivers & X-overs. The 2230A's have the original White Aquaplas cones & with new surrounds from Rick Cobb. The cabinets are the Grey painted versions which are in great physical condition but do need repainting. The Black grille cloths are very good but do have some cracked wood framing. The 2440's have the Titanium 2445 diaphragms but these are easily restored to original. The bottom base/standoffs are missing.

While not "mint" condition, they are rare & very original & easily restored to "mint". Any advice or ideas on valuation would be much appreciated. Thanks.

***At this time I am not looking for offers, just help with figuring a valuation. I have someone offering to purchase, however I'm not even sure I want to part with them. The kids are almost out the door but these are still my "Babies".
    Beautiful.
    You can visit Japanese web site,such as Kenrick sound,they may have similar JBL type and price.
    46 lover

Are the tweeters on hinges? Those are amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    Are the tweeters on hinges?
    lol ... Older style mounting clamp arrangement.

Just figuring the site, not sure how many pics I can post, start with a couple

The current cabinet speckle finish was a successful attempt at WAF but failure at long term durability. I want to find original paint code & refinish.

Name:  IMG_0180.jpg
Views: 2202
Size:  95.6 KBName:  IMG_0150.jpg
Views: 1657
Size:  83.6 KB
    Definitely get them back to the original finish and grill cloths. I would love to own a pair of those. The only finish that would give them a high WAF is invisible paint from the old cartoons.

Grills

I believe the grills/cloth is original but the one does look off-colour in the photo, not sure why? The Grill frames are in bad shape though, wonder who's idea it was to build them with 1" wide particle board perimeter?

I like the invisible paint idea, could use it on a lot of other stuff

I like the invisible paint idea, could use it on a lot of other stuff
    Is there an FDA approved version I could paint on my big butt?

There is no getting around it the 4350 is like having a pair of refrigerators in your listening room... but more fun!

Widget

WOuld it be best to fix all of the little problems (paint, diaphragms) before selling? It may help you get "top" dollar?

Thanks all for your input & comments. At this time I do not plan on selling them, but want to refinish them to factory original, & enjoy more. It appears they be worth more than I first thought.

Hard to believe, I just acquired a 2nd set of 4350's in very rough condition, a good winter project! I'll start a new topic & post pics.

Cheers
    Ross

Thread Information