Thread: Have two LE8 drivers - what can I build?

Have two LE8 drivers - what can I build?

I bought a few years ago two LE8 drivers with the original surrounds to use in some two way cabinets at my in-laws house. My father in law and brother in law built the cabs in the early 70's and the original drivers were long blown and gone. I put the LE8's in and bypassed the cross-over because the tweeters were mismatched crap as well. Anyway, they were a big improvement though they needed tweeters for sure.

Anyway, the house is being converted to a short term vacation rental and needless to say the 200 watt solid state Kenwood receiver, the Dual 1219 I refurbished and the speakers are now in my collection as they have no place in the future plans.

So, to make a long story short I will have two LE8's with which to build speakers. The original surrounds were barely hanging in there three years ago. I did the brake fluid/q-tip revitalization deal I read about somewhere at the time but one was beginning to crack. Assuming I need to put new surrounds on them, what can I build? I saw one member had built two-ways out of them (re-foaming thread). These are the metal cap, light colored, no whizzer cone models. I think two ways are the way to go once they have been re-foamed.
    4410A's, K-120's in the Fender Twin, E-140 Hemp Cone in Bass Cab, UREI 6260, 2 loose LE8T's, Lancer 33's

Vieleicht so
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Harald View Post
    Vieleicht so
    ausgezeichnet, Harald!

I only need a few more components it looks like...easy peasy.
    4410A's, K-120's in the Fender Twin, E-140 Hemp Cone in Bass Cab, UREI 6260, 2 loose LE8T's, Lancer 33's

Thanks,
    What is easy peasy?
    I have built a lot of Speakersystems with LE8 but my English is so bad that i can not handel the Filemaneger to Upload more Pictures.
    Bevor ich mich ganz lächerlich mache also lieber in deutsch.
    Habe schon verstanden was du vorhast,wollte nur die Gelegenheit nutzen mal ein Foto von meiner Anlage zu posten.
    Zur Sache.
    Der LE8 wurde ja in einigen Boxen verwendet aber immer geschlossen mit passivmembrane.Ausnahme ist die Aquarius mit 35 Liter Bassreflex.Aber das war nix was dem LE8 gerecht wird.Naja "wer´s mag"
    Wenn du überhaupt Bass von dem Speaker haben willst,kommst du um das RCL glied nicht herum.Damit geht aber alles was ihn so Legendär klingen lässt verloren.
    Denk dir ein Gehäuse so zwischen 10 und 20 liter aus.Ein Verstärker an dem man etwas Bass reindrehen kann oder besser noch ein Röhrenverstärker und alles wird gut.
    Toll klang der LE8 auch an den 88zigern Sony Endstufen oder der Pyramide von Yamaha.

Als Hochtöner kann ich dir den T2030 von Beyma empfehlen.Da der LE8 nicht sehr hoch belastbar ist langt 6db.
    2.2uf oder3.3uf müsste passen.

Mein Tip Mundorf M-cap.(die billigen Weissen)

Ich meine,es geht nicht darum "das Beste "zu finden,sondern das Richtige.

ZU guter letzt meine Philosophi "Hören ist wie schmecken"

Viele grüsse aus Hamburg.

Quote Originally Posted by Harald View Post
    Thanks,
    What is easy peasy?
    I have built a lot of Speakersystems with LE8 but my English is so bad that i can not handel the Filemaneger to Upload more Pictures.
    Bevor ich mich ganz lächerlich mache also lieber in deutsch.
    Habe schon verstanden was du vorhast,wollte nur die Gelegenheit nutzen mal ein Foto von meiner Anlage zu posten.
    Zur Sache.
    Der LE8 wurde ja in einigen Boxen verwendet aber immer geschlossen mit passivmembrane.Ausnahme ist die Aquarius mit 35 Liter Bassreflex.Aber das war nix was dem LE8 gerecht wird.Naja "wer´s mag"
    Wenn du überhaupt Bass von dem Speaker haben willst,kommst du um das RCL glied nicht herum.Damit geht aber alles was ihn so Legendär klingen lässt verloren.
    Denk dir ein Gehäuse so zwischen 10 und 20 liter aus.Ein Verstärker an dem man etwas Bass reindrehen kann oder besser noch ein Röhrenverstärker und alles wird gut.
    Toll klang der LE8 auch an den 88zigern Sony Endstufen oder der Pyramide von Yamaha.

Als Hochtöner kann ich dir den T2030 von Beyma empfehlen.Da der LE8 nicht sehr hoch belastbar ist langt 6db.
    2.2uf oder3.3uf müsste passen.

Mein Tip Mundorf M-cap.(die billigen Weissen)

Ich meine,es geht nicht darum "das Beste "zu finden,sondern das Richtige.

ZU guter letzt meine Philosophi "Hören ist wie schmecken"

Viele grüsse aus Hamburg.

Harald,

Many kind greetings from Santa Cruz. I am very impressed by your loudspeakers. Even though I had 4 years of german language studies in gymnasium, your message is still very difficult for me to understand due to its technical nature. "Easy peasy" is a rhyming way to say "easy" and in long form can be "easy peasy lemon squeezy". I learned it from a Canadian but it is becoming more popular in western North America.

What I think I read in your message is that you have built many systems with the LE8 but you don't exactly know which ones I have due to the lack of images. I have LE8T's. It also sounds like you are suggesting that many good systems paired the LE8 with passive radiators in large volume cabinets or they were in smaller cabinets without radiators. There are also some speaker examples to investigate and suggestions of crossover values.

Thanks for responding with detail and suggestions. I wish I could understand more of your response. I have not been to Hamburg but my grandfather was born in Wuppertal in 1898 and was a motorcycle signals delivery rider in WWI. I still have many relatives in Germany and have visited Koblenz, Mainz, Berlin, and Freiburg. Oh, and the Lorelie felsen!

Very best regards,

Chris

hey Chris,
    When Lothar Mattäus means he can speak English,i can also.
    It is Amazing howe many People in America has Roots or otherwise "conection"to Germany.

With the Lorelei Felsen you have seen one of the beautest Places in Germany.
    Berlin was in times befor the Wall was gone one of the "hottest"Citys i have ever seen.
    The People,the Bars and Clubs the "Lifestyle"(not to forget the 3 Girls that was with me).Amazing

Here in Hamburg that`s clear is the Harbor District with the" Reeperbahn" the Highlight.

There is not only Sex.
    Drugs and Rock´n Roll too.

I am neer by 60 jears old and so the Sex and Drugs Times are long gone

But the Rock`n Roll still live on.

And that´s wath we talk about.

The LE8 is nothing spezial.(in best meaning).
    That means "everything goes"

From 4 liters closed (Midrange only) to 50 liters bassreflex.

Remember we are here in DIY.For me that means.Money can´t buy.The only way to get what i need is to build it self.

No Speaker on Earth sounds like a single LE8 in closed Box with 18 Liters.(right box,right Cable,right Amplifier is a must have)

That`s is that wat i hear(and some of my Friends to).If they want more Bass OK let`s take a 12 inch.If they want more Highfrequency OK let`s take a Tweeter.If they want both OK let´s take both.

That`s the meaning of my post in German.Build a Box and Listen.
    If you hear nothing special give them to E-Bay.If you hear what i mean,let us talk about DIY a Speakersystem that Money can`t Buy.

best greeting`s from Harald

My first hi-fi was as pair of Lancer 33's, a Fisher 400c and a Philips 212 turntable. It sounded great. I was brain damaged one day in the mid 90's and traded the 400c. Still have the Lancer 33's. Would cost me over 500 USD it seems to replace the 400c today that I bought in 1982 for 35 USD when no one cared. Anyway, that system sounded better than my father's system at the time which cost him five times as much as I bought mine used.

Thanks again for the advice.

new update

Hi Chris,
    here a Picture of the new Update of my Speakers.
    Have you build something with your LE 8?

greeting from Hamburg

Those LE8 are considered full range. If they had a lower Qts I wouldn't hesitate experimenting with a rear loaded horn. At 0.55 Qts, I don't know if they are ideal in a horn loaded cabinet. So, why not a tall bass reflex tower. I am sure you can have a lot of fun. Might be shy on lower bass, but adding a subwoofer for 20-50Hz range can make the combo sound sweet.

Yes,

There is nothing what i have not testet with this glorius Speaker.

They sound great in a Backloaded Horn.

I have a Pair of DIY Fostex Horns(sorry no Pictures)build 30 jears ago.
    Placed in a Corner and there is Bass.

If you look at the frequenzirange of the LE 8 you see that he makes above 1000hz around 93db.

That´s (and some more "Tricks")is it while he works with my 2234H.

My knowing of english Language is from the Covers of my LP´s.

So i have many Problems to manage the Pictureupload.

Also text first and then let me test to send some Pictures.

Best greetings Harald.

Hope it works

Pictures

onemore

Le 8

Great.
    I´m so happy

The last one.