Thread: DBX or Marchand

DBX or Marchand

I'm using a Marchand Active 3 way crossover ( http://www.marchandelec.com/xm44.html) and really like the sound quality but is the Drive Rack DBX the way to go on 4 way active?

Dave

Hi Dave;

I have a couple of Marchand crossovers that sit on shelves since I bought a DBX260 nearly 10 years ago. The Marchands sound nice, no complaints but what can be done using a 260 properly at full or near full potential relegated my Marchand stuff to the shelf.

If you are going fourway and considering DBX, the 4800 or 4820 is the ticket. They are such incredibly powerfull devices that most of the deployments of them I see are no where near used in full. Unlike the 260 all of the PEQ filters in the 4800 are user definable giving you a 31 band graphic, 9 PEQ filters per input and 6 PEQ filters per output.

If that's not enough like if you're also doing in room signal correction you can get tricky and double the number of input filters. These aren't inexpensive and require real knowledge from the user to really be of value but boy oh boy are they a valuable tool in the hand of one who is capable of fully exploiting it's virtues. I believe my 4800 was worth every penny. On the other hand, if you're not a measurement guy one of these would be a waste of money.

Hope this helps,
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Thanks Barry I must admit I try and keep things simple, every time one puts another unit in line it makes a difference. The reason I run a 4 way system is to try and get it to sound Ok without any compensation EQ etc. I'm concerned that using measuring equipment will just turn the whole thing into a nightmare though I know that the professionals would strongly disagree.. I like the Marchand for the lack of colouration and believe I can get extra modules for each speaker if I want to. But when my final construction is put together if I think it sounds Ok I wont measure it!

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave;

You willl get no argument from me. I also believe simplicity is a virtue and systems should be a simple as possible.

All the best,
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Hi Dave;

You willl get no argument from me. I also believe simplicity is a virtue and systems should be a simple as possible.

All the best,
    Barry.
    +1

Tweaking and playing around in the DIY sandbox is fun, but sometimes it is best to stop, sit back, and enjoy the music.

Widget

Thread Information